Best Places To Live In America: Beaverton, Oregon - Home of Nike
Nike In Portland Suburbs
As a suburb in the near northeast area outside Portland OR, Beaverton has access to a large number of jobs in the bigger city, in Hillsboro to the west, and within its own boundaries.
Information Technology positions, Retail jobs, and Food and Dining jobs are predominant closer to Beaverton. Out towards the other two cities where the largest numbers of jobs exist, Information Technology and Healthcare jobs predominate.
According to Money Magazine online, Beaverton is one of the Top 100 Best Places to Live in America. However, it is also one of the most interesting cities, since it is home to NIKE sports company. Nike sits in the unincorporated portion of land inside Beaverton in ashington County and the city has not annexed it.
Nike Expands: 2010 - 2020
Nike jumps on the bandwagon of just about all sports immediately as they are invented and often goes viral with them on YouTube.
The very entertaining film below is done in Japanese and English with English subtitles.
I had never heard of "speed golf" until I had seen this video and have found other speed golf vids - but still can't figure if it's a real activity -- But some folks feel the same about Archery Golf.
Nike Advocates Speed Golf
Portland Suburbs: Beaverton
- The Portland Timbers Major League Soccer Club and THPRD enjoys a 10-year partnership as of January 2011 that includes a new training facility – The Adidas Timbers Training Center.
- Audubon Society of Portland Nature Center 503 292 9453
- Beaverton Farmer's Market www.beavertonfarmersmarket.com/
- Heron Haus Bed & Breakfast 2545 NW Westover Road, Portland, OR 97210
- Hoyt Arboretum
- Malibu Raceway www.maliburaceway.com
- Cooper Mountain Vineyard www.coopermountainwine.com
- The Reserves Vineyard and GOlf Club www.reservegolf.com
- Pittock Mansion - Turn-of-the-20th Century newspaper magnate's mansion. www.pittockmansion.com/
- Portland International Guesthouse 2185 NW Flanders Street, Portland, OR 97210 www.pdxguesthouse.com
- Red Tail Golf Course www.golfredtail.com/
- Summer Movies in Beaverton City Park - Family oriented movies and pre-movie entertainment held outside free-of-charge. Concessions are for sale, or bring a picnic. No alcohol, smoking, or pets. Across from the Beaverton Library at 12375 SW 5th Street. For info call City of Beaverton at (503) 526-2559.
- World Forestry Center Museum www.worldforestry.org
Tualatin Hills Nature Park in Beaverton
Jobs and Redevelopment
During February 2011, over 32,400 job openings were listed across all Internet sources for Beaverton and Portland. The city reports that Urban Renewal plays a part in boosting nyumber sof jobs in Beaverton since at least 2008. Since that time, plans have been placed and implemented to redevelop the downtown area of the city to draw visitors, new residents, and additional commercial concerns.
An Enterprise Zones (EZ) established under terms of the Federal and State governments helps to Increase Beaverton jobs with a total of 100% of related property tax abated for up to five consecutive years in the EZ as an incentive to purchase or rent business properties. In addition, Electronic Commerce Zones boost eCommerce with as much as $2 Million in property tax credit annually.
Business and residential improvements, along with infrastructure repair and construction are included in an overall larger economic plan that includes Vertical Housing contruction. This results in mixed-use buildings as we have in Central Ohio. Ours include residential units located higher along the vertical dimension of a complex, with retail, coffee shops, dining, clubs, and movie theaters below. Vertical housing has been built at the "Gateways" of our city, like at both ends of the OSU Campus and other sections of town. Mayor Michael Coleman wants this contruction at each of several Gateways in town.
Vertical housing construction and ownership can offer up to 10 years of property tax credit, very attractive to new or relocating businesses. Such projects have been very successful in Columbus OH and elsewhere. In addition, Beaverton offers Small Business Incentives to those who qualify.
During the Autumn of 2014, the Oregon state government approved the Beaverton to receive and additional Electronic Commerce Overlay region to its four-sector, 4.5-square-mile Enterprise Zone for vital economic improvements.
Transportation in Beaverton
Transportation is not only extensive in Beaverton, but it is meshed with sustainability policies and safety. Oregon overall is nothing if not green in color and in the sustainability business climate and lifestyle. Walking and biking programs are ever improving and miles of trailways lace the city and country to make it walkable, bike-safe, and green.
Beaverton is located between two airports, Portland International Airport (PDX) and the Hillsboro Airport. In addition, the Port of Portland OR includes four seaport stations that are located close to other means of transport, such as the buslines and trains.
Bus - Train - Light Rail - Streetcar: all at TriMet. This is a far reaching and effective transportation with many options, including ADA accommodation.
Additional passenger and commercial rail transport is available through Amtrak and commercial freight services in Beaverton. The Amtrak Cascades line takes passengers between Eugene Or and Vancouver BC, through scenic areas of the Pacific Northwest. The Coast Starlight line runs to and from Seattle WA and Los Angeles CA, through much of the West Coast. Amtrak's Empire Builder operates eastward and westward among Portland OR, Seattle WA, and Chicago to connect the Pacific Northwest and the Midwest centers.
Shopping Also Increases Beaverton Jobs
At least three major shopping centers serve Beaverton:
- BEAVERTON TOWN SQUARE -- This shopping district in mid-town Beaverton off Highway 217 is an outdoor complex of many retail chain and independent stores and smaller shops. www.beavertontownsquare.com/
- CEDAR HILLS CROSSING - WIFI HOTSPOT
- WASHINGTON SQUARE www.shopwashingtonsquare.com/
These centers, along with larger stand alone stores and shops throughout the city are listing job opens in sales and management positions, indicated in the data below. Search "Beaverton OR" in SimplyHired.com.
Top 10 Hot Jobs
- Sales Representatives
- .Net Developers - IT
- Software Engineers - IT
- Software QA Engineers - IT
- Shift Supervisors - Retail and dining
- Informatica Architects - IT
- Barista Jobs - Coffee shops
- Servers/Wait Staff - Food and Dining
- Technical Support Engineers - IT
- Project Managers - IT and others
Additional High Demand Jobs in Beaverton
- Software Development Engineers
- Project Coordinators
- Line Cooks
- Manager Trainees
Top Hiring Companies
- Columbia Sportswear
- Maxim Integrated Products
- Providence Health & Services
- Advantage Nurse Staffing
- Work In Sports - Sales, Broadcasting, other
- Vanderhouwen & Associates
- Tektronix - IT
- Ivy Exec - Executive staffing
Companies Hiring in Nearby Hillsboro and Portland
- Intel - IT
- Kaiser Permanente - Healthcare
- Providence Health & Services
- Professional Technical Resources
- Oregon Health & Science University
Kobe Bryant Ankle Insurance
Nike Job Surge 3200% in Beaverton 2012 - 2015
Nike jobs advertised in Beaverton and the surrounding area increased in several significant spikes from 2012 through 2015, with a new upsurge toward a spike beginning in 2015. In March, jobs for Beaverton overall numbers 32,500+ openings. Over 950 or 2.9% of these vacancies were directly with Nike or related marketing and sales companies.
Nike Jobs spike and began a new increase in January 2015
March 2015 jobs listed for the Nike company were largely located in Portland and Beaverton, Oregon, NYC; North Andover Massachusetts; and San Francisco.
Nike Jobs for Beaverton and America
Best Jobs in Portland and Beaverton
- Enterprise Release Manager
- Senior Footwear Designer Jordan
- Business Systems Analyst
- Mfg Engineers
- Digital Infrastructure Services Managers
- Product Design Engineers
- System Engineering and Operations Support Managers
- Expert Project Manager Engagement Service
- International Accounts
- Lead Order Management Business Systems Analysts
- Sr. Architects
- Sales Analysts
Rated Best Jobs by Workers:
- Beauty Advisors - overall Beauty as an individual personal image and adding Nike products to that image.
- Athletes I and II - Salespeople in the Nike stores
- Junior Merchandisers
- Merchandise Coordinators
- Selling Specialists
Beaverton Area Colleges and Universities
- Computer Education Program (PCC) www.computers.pcc.edu
- Lewis and Clark College www.lclark.edu
- Oregon Center for Advanced Technology Education
- Oregon Health & Science University www.ohsu.edu/academic
- Oregon State University www.oregonstate.edu
- Oregon State University Online www.ecampus.oregonstate.edu
- Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology www.ogi.edu
- Portland State University www.pdx.edu
- Portland State University Degree Completion Programs
- Portland Community College www.pcc.edu
- University of Portland www.up.edu
Additional Oregon Cities
- Job Search Resources For Displaced Workers, 55+ Older Workers and Others In Portland, Oregon.
During May to June 2012, 36,000 out of 58,000 jobs listed for Oregon were located within a radius of 25 miles from. This is 62% of all available jobs in the state. many are in the Professions and higher-paying, but help is available for finding...
- Top 10 High Demand Jobs in Hillsboro OR
Found in Washington County, Oregon, Hillsboro was named by CNN Money Magazine online as Number 92 among the Top 100 Best Places to Live in America. You may think that the cities and towns in the 90s of this...
© 2011 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Pennsylvania has at least 1,000 places to visit that are awesome as well as interesting. This list of 10 attractions all include archaeological sites that will fascinate your family and friends.
Have you ever seen a choir sing Barbershop and step like a marching band? How about the World's Largest Fish Fry? It's all refreshing good fun in Tennessee...
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.