Top 10 Things to Do in Tamilnadu
Top things to do in Tamil Nadu
It is always better to know what can you do in a new place that you plan to visit. There must be some unique activities one can do in such places to plan a visit to the unknown place. Tamilnadu is a wonderful place where every year lots of people make a visit because of its unique charm. Other than just seeing some of the beautiful places there, see a list of activities that you can do in this awesome land when you finally make your visit there.
There are several things you can do in Tamil Nadu. Picking up just ten is not an easy task.
1. Go to few of the old temples there and listen to the "harikatha" stories, and also observe their unique architecture.
Tamil Nadu is is the land of temples with towering gopurams that soar above the markets of almost every town.
2. Don't miss an opportunity to see the classical music concert called "kacheri" in the neighborhood parks.
3. If you are a dance lover remember to visit a Kalakshetra to see a live performance of famous Bharata natyam dance.
Bharat Natyam is one of the highly appreciated dance forms of Tamil Nadu. It was originated in the tenth century. It is a classical form of dance performed in rhythmic collage of Bhava, Raga and Tala, in bright and colorful costumes and ornaments. It was once performed by the Devadasis in the temples of South India, but today it is in its height of glory. Bharat Natyam personifies the spiritual charm of the paradise on the materialistic earth.
4. If you are a person visiting historical and religious places include Santhome's Church, St.Mary's Church, the oldest church in Tamilnadu, and Armenian Church where you can learn about the Armenian community who lived there centuries ago, in your list to visit.
5. Visit Fort Museum in Fort St.George located in Chennai.
In 1639 two agents for the English East India Company, acquired a strip of land on lease from the Vijayanagar King and built the Fort St.George. This fort remains of the city’s important landmarks.
6. Take a walk along the small lanes of Parry's Corner, Burma Bazaar, Mint Street and observe the beautiful things and people there. You won't know how the time passes here.
7. If you can manage to get a pass to see the film shooting of a Tamil movie at Kodambakkam or Vadapalani it will be great fun.
8. Keep a day to visit Guindy Park and Snake Park, including Crocodile Park and the Dakshinachitra in Muthukadu, if you have time. You can see the rich cultural heritage of Tamil Nadu here in Dakshinachitra.
9. Enjoy a drive on the beach road, especially in the morning, starting from Royapuram till Besant Nagar and also watch the fishermen at work. About a kilometer to the north of the Elliot's beach is a nice, clean and quiet stretch of the beach, behind the Theosophical Society headquarters. A variety of birds like egrets, pond-herons and flamingoes are seen here.
10. If you love the traditional Indian attire saree visit any of the sari shops like Chennai silk, Nalli Silk, Kumarans etc. and enjoy the enchanting beauty of Indian women clad in the bright and striking colors. If you are tempted to buy one such sari take one with you as a sovenir.
More by this Author
Hyderabad, the capital city of Andhra Pradesh, India, is a great tourist destination. Hyderabad is filled with historic monuments like Charminar, Qutub Shahi Tombs and many other monuments. Apart from these, there are...
A visit to Bangalore is incomplete without a safari in the Bannerghatta National Park and a visit to the Butterfly Park.
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.