Top 10 things to do in Washington DC
Washington DC attractions
The capital city of America, Washington DC has so many attractions that you should visit when you go there. Some of the things to do in Washington DC include DC by foot, Smithsonian (free admission), Washington national monument, Lincoln memorial, great falls parks, chesapeake and ohio canal, mount vernon, georgetown, etc. Washington DC offers plenty of activities including sporting events, monuments, guided tours, festivals, outdoor activities, museums, world class dining, and art galleries.
Top 10 things to do in Washington DC
1. Washington DC by foot
DC by foot, one of the top things to do in Washington DC, is a free walking tour and takes about one and half hours. The tour includes all the main sites including the capitol building, the white house, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Wall, and the Korean War Memorial.
2. Smithsonian: Must-do thing in Washington DC - Smithsonian is the world’s largest museum and research center composed of 19 museums. It features art works, historic icons, dinosaurs, Italian renaissance painting and much more.
3. Washington national monument: Washington monument was built in honor of the first U.S president George washington. Located at the western end of the Mall. The 555-foot monument is the tallest masonry structures in the world. A free elevator ride takes you to the top floor for an amazing view. The Washington monument is free, but it require a ticket. The ticket for the monument is located at the base of the monument.
4. Lincoln memorial: Lincoln memorial was built in honor of the 16 U.S president Abraham Lincoln. It is located in the national mall in Washington D.C and definitely one of the top things to do in Washington DC.
5.Great falls park: Great falls park is an 800 acre park located on both sides of the potomac river 4 miles upriver from Washington D.C. The falls offers stunning river views. The park is known for its scenic beauty and the patowmack canal. Rushing whitewater pours through steep, jagged rocks into a narrow mather gorge. Hikers, and nature lovers find much to enjoy here. The park offers plenty of activities including picnicking, hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, horseback riding and bicycling. The park offers trails and the towpath of the chesapeake and ohio canal parallels the river. Fishing is allowed, but only with a valid permit. Great falls park is another main attraction in Washington DC.
Washington DC on Amazon
6. National zoological zoo: A park like zoo is home to more than 5000 animals and over 500 species. You can see lions, bears, giraffes, hippos, pandas, elephants, big cats, birds, reptiles, insects and mammals. Washington zoo is a great attraction and one of the top things to do in Washington DC especially if you have kids.
7.Chesapeake and Ohio canal: The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal is a canal that begins in Georgetown in Washington DC and travels westward to Cumberland, Maryland. The canal and its accompanying towpath trail extend 184.5 miles from Georgetown to Cumberland. Hiking and biking along the towpath are excellent ways to see the park.
8.Mount vernon: Mount vernon trail is a favorite of area cyclists. Cyclists can reach Mount Vernon from Washington, D.C. via the Mount vernon trail.It is nearly 18 miles long and the trail offers wonderful views of the Potomac and DC monuments. There are also several sights along the way, including George Washington's home at Mount Vernon, Olde town Alexandria, and Arlington National Cemetery.
9. Georgetown: Georgetown is the oldest standing building in Washington. George is home to world class shopping, restaurants, nightlife, waterfront harbor and georgetown university.
10. Eastern market: Eastern market is one of the oldest farmers market in the United States. You can get fresh meat, fish, baked goods, cheese and dairy products. Flea market is another main attraction and attracts lots of people on sundays.
Top things to do in Washington DC
- Best Water Parks in Washington
- Places to see in Kodaikanal
- Baltimore Airport Parking Discounts
- Atlanta airport parking discounts
- Best Water Parks in Ohio
Some of the best water parks in Ohio include castaway bay water park, coney island, coco key water resort, great wolf lodge, fort rapids, kalahari resort and zoombezi bay water park. Castaway bay water park,...
- Best roller coasters in America
Here are some of the best roller coasters in America including millennium force, montu, top thrill dragster, kingda ka, beast, cyclone roller coaster, kumba, superman, hulk and superdooperlooper. Millennium...
- Top Things to do in Atlantic City
Atlantic City, New Jersey is one of the most exciting cities on the eastern seaboard. There is plenty to do in Atlantic City including great restaurants, shows, and casinos. The nightlife in Atlantic City is...
- Natural Attractions in and around Las Vegas
Great natural attractions like Grand Canyon, Lake Mead and Red Rock Canyon are found within driving distance from Las Vegas making it a perfect place for nature lovers and geologists. Las Vegas has all the...
- Top Things to do in New York City
New York city is the most exciting place on earth. New York city is rich with history, cultural activities and events. New York is used in movies all the time to makes the scenes more attractive. There are...
Have you visited Washington DC?See results without voting
More by this Author
North carolina invites visitors to enjoy the state’s natural beauty, sports, adventure, arts, culture and history. Ride horses and whitewater raft in the appalachian countryside in the north carolina mountains....
Traverse city is proud to be America's cherry capital. It celebrates that heritage every year during the week of july with an eight day party featuring over 150 family activities including fireworks, air shows, games,...
A simple way to solve the Nutribullet locking or jamming problem that lets the container jar latch again smoothly.