Top Beaches in the US and around the World
There's something about being near the shore or a beach that makes people relax. It could be the sound of the waves as they lap on the sand, the smell of the ocean breeze, the tranquility of the blue sea against the horizon. Whatever it is, it has a powerful pull because so many people love to spend their vacations on the beach. TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site, announced the top ten beaches according to the millions of travelers who voted on their 2013 Travelers’ Choice Beaches Awards.
In the US, it's not a surprise that four of the top 10 beaches can be found in Hawaii. With four big islands and several smaller ones, our 50th state is blessed with many beautiful beaches. The next three top beaches can be found in that sunny state of...Florida. That's right Florida beat out California. California isn't doing too badly with two beaches. The last remaining spot was filled by Virginia, but that beach is very special. Here are the top ten beaches in America, experiencing each one of them would be a great goal.
Top 10 American Beaches
- Ka'anapali Beach - Lahaina in Maui Island, Hawaii; people love the choice of just relaxing or engaging in numerous water sports.
- Siesta Key Public Beach - Siesta Key, Florida; you don't have to be a millionaire to get to Siesta Key. It has wheelchair access and family oriented since it has activities for kids and older children, and convenient bathroom amenities.
- Gulf Islands National Seashore - Pensacola, Florida; technically this 150-mile stretch of shore starts from Cat Island, Mississippi to Santa Rosa Island, Florida. It's a gem to have a continuous strip of sparkling blue water and beautiful beach.
- Fort de Soto Park - Tierra Verde, FL; people love the park setting where families can set up a picnic, ride bikes, and do some birdwatching in a historical setting.
- Lanikai Beach - Kailua in Oahu Island, Hawaii; enjoy the white sand beach, calm water, and various water activities or just laze and glory in the tranquility.
- Wailea Beach - Wailea in Maui, Hawaii; enjoy the golden sand, warm water, and calm winds.
- Assateague Beach - Assateague Island, Virginia; people come here for the natural beach setting, the wild horses, and the frisky dolphins.
- La Jolla Cove - La Jolla in San Diego, California; it's an ecologically protected cove so you can see a lot of seals, sea lions, a whale or two, calm waters, and a safe beach for the kids.
- Laguna Beach - Laguna Beach, California; it's all about the surfing.
- Hanauma Bay Natural Preserve - Honolulu in Oahu Island, Hawaii; the bay is surrounded by cliffs and and protects a lot of the sea life and coral which makes it a wonderful place for snorkelers.
Top 10 Beaches in the World
Traveling outside the US and want to head for a great beach? Below are the top 10 beaches in the world.
- Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
- Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- Whitehaven Beach, Airlie Beach, Australia
- Baia do San Cocho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
- Playa de las Catedrales, Ribadeo, Spain
- Lopes Mendes Beach, Ilha Grande, Brazil
- Horseshoe Bay Beach, Southampton Parish, Bermuda
- Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Rhossili Bay, Swansea, Wales
More by this Author
Public transportation from LaGuardia airport to Manhattan, JFK Airport, and Newark Liberty Airport.
Walk into the front entrance of M&M World in Times Square and you will be confronted by something you've never seen before: a giant blue, almond M&M spokescandy boogeying to music in a white disco suit....
Everybody knows about the English, the Scots, and the Irish contributions to America, but what about the Welsh people? The Welsh influence and contributions to America belie the number of Welsh immigrants.