Top Five Ways to Win in Las Vegas
Las Vegas, Nevada
Vacation in Vegas!
Buy a ticket to fabulous Las Vegas and have the time of your life! There is so much to see and do that one trip, unless it is a very long one, is definitely not enough. You will want to come back time and time again to visit the city of lights and action.
Think of Las Vegas as Disneyland for adults. Every conceivable form of entertainment is located on or off of the "strip" in downtown Vegas. There are circuses, zoos, rides, shows, clubs and water fountains. It's lavish, bright and focused on catering to vacationing adults, and to a lesser extent, children.
According to the Las Vegas travel bureau, about 35 to 36.5 million people come to the city in the desert every year. Las Vegas, Nevada is considered to be the gambling capitol of the world. But even if you don't gamble, high stakes attractions abound. You won't be bored in this town.
Number One: Be Prepared and Do Your Research on Las Vegas
There are a thousand and one things to do and see in Las Vegas. There are thousands of web sites dedicated to vacationing in Vegas. There are books, magazines, TV shows, guides and YouTube videos.
You can learn all about the hotels. Seventeen of the biggest twenty hotels in the U.S.A. are located in Las Vegas. There are about 114 hotels with about 125,000 hotel rooms. That's a lot of vacationers! Check out the features you want in a hotel and research each hotel separately.
Since just about every thing you have ever dreamed of exists in Las Vegas, all you have to do is decide which hotel will meet your needs. Even that is difficult to do with so many choices. You may have to decide with your budget. But remember, bargains and discounts are available, so do as much research as you can. Try to determine the best bang for your vacation buck.
Almost every hotel in Vegas is a great hotel. Choose your hotel by dining choices, entertainment choices, pool and spa choices, casino play or special attractions. You won't spend a lot of time in your room, and you won't spend a lot of time walking around town. It's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.
Number Two: Winning Games to Play in Las Vegas
According to Jean Scott, author of The Frugal Gambler, the best and most winnable gamble in Las Vegas is the Video Poker Game. It is also currently rumored that the best video poker game machines are in the Palms hotel.
Whichever rumor is true, it is imperative that one must learn to play the game well before ever attempting to play it for the money.
Video Poker - Signs You are Playing a Winning Machine:
- The pay schedule for a Full House should be nine or higher, and for a Flush, the pay schedule should be 6 or higher.
- Look for signage in each hotel telling players where and how to play to win.
- Make friends with the pit servers and bosses and tip them well. They will bring you free drinks.
- Always use a club card that fits into the machine while you play. It awards you with comp points redeemable for merchandise and food.
- Don't try to bluff a video poker machine - machines don't do bluffs!
- Practice with a home computer game before ever going to Vegas and using real money.
The other winning gambling game to play is Black Jack. Black Jack is a table game. You must study diligently in order to win at this game, but it is the only game that gives the player a fair chance to win instead of lose.
Practice as much as possible before your trip. Use a computer game geared to teaching you the ins and outs of the game.
A few other tips from the pros for Black Jack:
- Be sure to have your game play "rated" by the pit boss for comp points
- Find a table that has many players (this slows down the game and allows you time to think about it).
- Obtain and use a guide card. This tells you when to hold and when to hit. Based on mathematical odds, your chances of winning increase when you use these cards. They are supplied by the casino or are available for purchase.
- Never, ever take "insurance" on a deal
- Look for a table using the lowest number of decks to a shoe. Better yet, look for a single deck game that is hand dealt.
- Double down whenever possible to increase your winnings.
Casino Floor Action
Number Three: Games You Win by NOT Playing!
Enter any airport, café, convenience store or casino in Las Vegas and you will find a slot machine. That's because slot machines pay for all the glamour and glitz in the city! Nearly 200,000 slot machines take in about 70% of the total revenue for the city. Players dutifully put in money and get only bells and whistles for their effort.
If you must play the slots, play only at the ones that say the pay out is greater than 100%! Believe it or not, you can still lose money at these odds. Play slot machines only for fun! They aren't called "one-armed bandits" for nothing.
Roulette is another game that will take your money quickly. The only safe bets are the "outside" bets. If you are going to play, put your money on the four squares that say:
These squares play even odds. All other bets favor the house!
Roulette: Not a Winning Gamble
Number Four: Las Vegas Comps
Complimentary (Comps) items abound in Las Vegas. It's the city that loves to pamper its guests! The professionals say that they can get just about anything in the world for free here. Lavish hotel suites, Cuban cigars, fancy automobiles and expensive wines are normal "gifts" for the big gamblers.
But there are lots of ways to get plenty of free stuff in Vegas if you know where and how to look.
- Look for coupons! Some of these can save you a ton of money. Some cities offer coupon books that are worth purchasing to get "buy one, get one free" deals.
- Check for specials! Every hotel runs specials on their web sites. Sometimes these are offered on travel sites as well.
- Play nickel and penny slots and get free drinks!
- Don't forget discounts offered by AARP, AAA or other organizations that you belong to.
- Use those Club Cards (Player's Cards)! Never gamble without a club or player's card that pays you points for gambling. You can get some good deals that way. Be sure to tip well and make friends with the pit bosses. They can offer you bonus points that you won't get any other way.
A friend of mine goes around to several ice cream places in Vegas just to ask for free taste spoons. They are generous, and you can try two or three flavors before they get suspicious. It's probably ok to ask for free samples in boutique cookie and candy stores too!
Number Five: When in Las Vegas, Do as the Las Vegans Do
There are tips that only insiders know. If you know someone from Las Vegas, ask for their tips! Watch for TV shows featuring professional gambling tips. Check YouTube for insider information on where to gamble, eat and sleep.
According to a recent TV show, there were several tips the Las Vegas insiders were willing to share:
- The best hotel for gambling is The Stratosphere.
- Arizona Charlie has incredible good and cheap food, especially the steak and eggs breakfast.
- Mr. Lucky's Food court at the Hard Rock Hotel has a local's favorite of steak and shrimp for $5.95. It's not on the menu, locals know to ask for it.
- The very best eatery in Las Vegas is a Thai place called Lotus of Siam Restaurant. Locals claim it is the very best Thai food in the whole U.S.A.
Las Vegas Food!
Do your research and be prepared for your vacation in Las Vegas.
Practice ahead of time to win at video poker and Black Jack.
Only play slot machines when you want entertainment and free drinks. No one wins at slots! The same is true for Roulette.
Find and use coupons, discounts, specials and complimentary deals.
Go where the locals and professionals go and do what they do. Eat where they eat and enjoy insider tips.
Have fun! Enjoy! That's what vacations are for!
Tell me about Las Vegas!
What is the very best thing about visiting Las Vegas?See results without voting
More by this Author
Well everyone that goes to Maui goes up to Haleakala Crater. Mostly for the sunrise ritual. And really, this may be the most incredible thing to do on Maui. Just remember... There's More! Sunrise is cold so bring...
We tried to get a meeting of Hubbers together in Las Vegas one year. We had about four couples wanting to join the trip. If we could drum up e dozen or so, I think we could plan a real vacation!
Top 10 Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan. Chili, cornbread, beans, home fries, Chicken Fried Steak, spare ribs, brisket, frito pie, enchiladas and pecan pie.