Spaceport Florida - IT, Aerospace, Health and Tourism Jobs
Tax Incentives Bring Jobs and Business to Florida
Florida is one of the three or four most popular states in the USA for relocation in 2014, because of the lack of State Income Tax. The population is increasing as New Yorkers and others move down to the sunny state to work, to do business, to retire, and to escape taxes.
Numerous jobs and long-term career opportunities are waiting in the State of Florida for qualified workers. By the middle of June 2013, over 328,000 jobs were listed for the state, not counting seasonal/summer jobs.
By January 2014, this number had risen to 370,000+, because of the influx of new residents and businesses.After a small decline, jobs in August 2015 included ads for over 260,000 positions statewide.
Long Haul Truck Driving is a big source of new jobs, though, as is Healthcare at places like North Florida Regional Med Center, and Engineering in IT settings as well as electrical, mechanical, manufacturing and other applications.
During Summer 2015, the US Naval Reserve in Florida advertised for psychologists and physiologists to fill their positions in Aerospace Experimental Psychology & Physiology. This reflects the uptick in space exploration from Earth to the ISS, the Moon, and Mars, with plans for expeditions to the Asteroid Belt and Jupiter after 2020.
Active Spaceports Require IT Workers for 2018 Moon Landing
Advertised jobs in Florida increased from year to year after the Space Shuttle Program ended:
- 231,600 job were advertised in June 2012.
- Over 273,800 listings in December 2012.
- By January 15, 2013 the state has 283,000+ posted job vacancies.
- By January 2014...370,000 jobs were advertised.
- June 2015 - The state still enjoyed 245,000 job listings.
- August 2015 - Over 260,000 job listings were advertised.
- November 2015 - Over 260,000 jobs advertised.
Florida is not only a retirement sanctuary and a vacation paradise or a point of contact for foreign refugees. Business is also good in Florida for the IT, Healthcare, and Human Services industries.
This business should consistently attract a strong worker base and strengthen a growing state economy.
IT is growing strength additionally as the privatization of space flight and its partnerships with NASA and American Government bring new businesses to areas around Florida and Texas, likely until mid-21st Century. The NASA Commercial Crew companies are responsible for providing the ships that will take us to Mars as early as 2025. and to the Moon before 2018.
The State Employment Security Agency collects data on the labor markets and occupational outlook around the State of Florida. Below is a collection of such information that shows the predicted large-scale growth of the Top Job in Florida.
The highest demand jobs in Florida are all IT occupations with opportunity for advancement.
The Number One Florida Fast-Growth Job was Computer Support Specialist, with 29,000+ new jobs by 2010, almost double that of the year 2000.
Computer Software Engineers in the Number Two spot increased jobs by 84% 2001 - 2010; in 2013, it passed everything else to become Number One.
Physical and Mental Heath Care professionals and Human Services fill out the Top 20 List in Florida.
A Dozen Spaceports Open In North America
Spaceport Cape Canaveral USAF Station (Cape Kennedy)
Industry and Education in Florida
The Florida Tourism Industry generates over $57 Billion worth of business revenues in the state every year. Information Technology (IT) is used with increasing frequency in Tourism related businesses as well as in other industries, such as Healthcare. IT jobs, overall, are the fastest growing occupations in Florida, including within Healthcare and medical research.
The Aerospace Industry creates $4.5+ Billion of business revenues in Florida annually and allows over 23,000 people to work in the aerospace and aeronautics sectors all over the state. With the rise of privatized space flight since 2004 and the first X-Prizes, this employment trend has only to increase with almost guaranteed demand.
The Defense Industry brings in a staggering $44 Billion of yearly business to Florida, employing at least 715,000 people.
The Florida Space Coast offers a vast number of business and educational opportunities, including not only Tourism, IT, Aerospace, and Defense, but also the following:
IT, Engineering and Other Jobs
- Daytona Beach International Airport
- Melbourne International Airport
- Orlando International Airport
- Orlando Sanford International Airport
- Port Canaveral Sea Port and 13 other deep-water sea ports:
Healthcare & IT Jobs
- Florida Hospital
- Central Florida Regional Hospital
- Osceola Regional Medical Center
- Hundreds of Additional Hospitals
4-year Colleges and Universities - Education and Jobs Development in IT, Aerospace, and Healthcare Industries
- Beacon College
- Bethune-Cookman College
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences
- Florida Institute of Technology
- Full Sail Real World Education
- Rollins College
- Stetson University
- University of Central Florida
2-year Community Colleges
- Brevard Community College
- Daytona Beach Community College
- Lake Sumter Community College
- Seminole State College
- Valencia Community College
Jobs Creating the Most Openings to 2017
- Retail Sales - Connected to tourism and the increasing numbers of workers moving to Florida to work in Aerospace Industries.
- Waitstaff - Full Service Restaurants, freestanding, hotels, resorts, on cruise ships.
- Customer Service Representatives
- Food Prep & Service - Casual and Fast Food Dining
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Especially Travel Nurses
- General Office Clerks
- Patient Care Techs, Nurse's Aides, Orderlies, and Other Healthcare Support Staff
- Janitorial, except Housekeepers
- Landscape-related jobs
- Bookkeeping & Accounting
- Child Care Workers
- Executive Sec./Admin. Asst.
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Accountants and Auditors
- Mainstream ElementaryTeachers
- Retail and Concessions Cashiers
- Maids and Housekeepers
- Security Guards
January 2013 to January 2014: Increase In Jobs
Highest Demand advertised jobs include many well paid positions:
- Engineers - IT, Mechanical, electrical, other
- Speech Language Pathologists
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Truck Drivers - Company drivers and owner-operators
- Program Managers in Healthcare and Aerospace facilities
- Human Resources Managers (indicates hiring has increased)
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Physician Assistants/Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Retail Salespeople - Especially high end clothing stores.
- Sales Representatives
- Retail Managers and Assistants
- Banking jobs
- Dental Assistants
- Customer Service Reps
- Casual Dining and Fast Food Jobs
- Accountants and Bookkeepers
Cape Kennedy (Canaveral) is America's premier launch site for spacecraft and rockets. In 2012, six launch complexes are in use with more to follow. Located at Cape Canaveral, you can find the historic and popular Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, where you can watch NASA Saturn V and commercial launches.
Patrick Air Force Base is also on Cape Canaveral, under the US Department of Defense and administering additional launches. You can also find the commercial Spaceport Florida; an air-launched vehicle and missile Drop Zone at Mayport, Florida; and an offshore submarine-launched ballistic missile launch site. Other areas are for rent.
IT Jobs at Cape Kennedy Space Center
- The long time site Astronautix.com was attacked by hackers after the final Shuttle Launch and taken off line until cleanup was accomplished. Their Encyclopedia Astronautica offers additional information on the operations at Cape Canaveral today.
- SpaceX Dragon2 Space Taxi Needs Drivers
Before the US Shuttle Period ended, NASA lost no time in contracting with private firms to manufacture spacelineers and space taxis to take astronauts to the ISS and to carry passengers and freight on recreational journeys. (Next stop, Mars!) Read ab
- Jobs Of the Future - Stellar Cartographer, Needed for Mapping Space Exploration and Asteroid Mining
What job of the future would you like to have? We may dream about far off places and new kinds of jobs that do not yet exist, but the emergence of space age jobs is surprising.
- NASA and the Commercial Crew Expand the US Space Program
NASA took a proactive stance toward partnerships with the private sector for future space exploration and commercial aerospace enterprises long before the final US Space Shuttle launch during Independence Week in July 2011. Almost before the...
Women's Sports Leagues and Jobs
Florida is the home to a number of Women's Professional and Women's Semi-Professional Soccer Teams that perform well and draw large crowds of fans and visitors..
Both men's and women's teams can be a source of playing, coaching, IT, and Healthcare and related jobs in Florida.
Top Florida Sports Teams
IT and Healthcare in Sports
Florida Sports Teams also use a variety of IT related and Healthcare related jobs. Opportunities are offered by several of these teams:
- Florida Bobcats (AFL) - Plantation
- Florida Marlins (MLB) - Miami
- Florida Panthers (NHL) - Miami
- Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL) - Jacksonville
- Miami Dolphins (NFL) - Miami
- Miami Fusion (MLS) - Miami
- Miami Heat (NBA) - Miami
- Miami Sol (WNBA) - Miami
- Orlando Magic (NBA) - Orlando
- Orlando Miracle (WNBA) - Orlando
- Orlando Predators (AFL) - Orlando
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL) - Tampa Bay
- Tampa Bay Devil Rays (MLB) - Tampa Bay
- Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL) - Tampa Bay
- Tampa Bay Mutiny (MLS) - Tampa Bay
- Tampa Bay Storm (AFL) - Tampa Bay
Arenas and Stadiums
- AmericanAirlines Arena - Miami
- Ice Palace - Tampa Bay
- Miami Arena - Miami
- National Car Rental Center - Sunrise
- Raymond James - Tampa Bay
College and High School Leagues
- Central Florida Knights - Orlando
- Florida Atlantic Owls - Boca Raton
- Florida Gators - Gainesville
- Florida International Golden Panthers - Miami
- Florida Southern Moccasins - Lakeland
- Florida State Seminoles - Tallahassee
- Jacksonville Dolphins - Jacksonville
- Miami Hurricane - Miami
- North Florida Ospreys - Jacksonville
- South Florida Bulls - Tampa
- West Florida Argonauts - Pensacola
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The Raleigh-Cary NC metro area comprises one of the best areas in the USA for business and jobs. Its proximity to the Research Triangle keeps the area growing.
Jousting is the state sport, but swimming is gaining traction as hometown hero Michael Phelps racks up gold medals. Meanwhile, the state is a good place to do business.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!