Best Attractions, Hot Job Markets, and Retirement Living in Myrtle Beach SC
South Atlantic Coast Living and Recreation
The Atlantic Coast, particularly the southern portion that includes the Carolinas, experiences some weather extremes and hurricanes are included. Although these occur, South Carolina remains a state to which increasing numbers of people travel for work and recreation. Hurricane preparedness procedures are well maintained and life continues through and after harsh weather changes.
A Hubber, Nspeel, recently asked about Myrtle Beach for travel, vacation, and work --
The following information is encouraging.
Travel and Tourism Industry are vital in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and most of Hory County where the city is located. Set on the Atlantic Ocean in the American South, Myrtle Beach is a part of a larger combined statistical area (CSA) that includes both Hory County and Georgetown County to the south. During the decade 2000 - 2010, the population of this two-county CSA increased by at least 31%, bringing a higher demand for jobs and services with the increased population.
Healthcare is a large contributing industry to the local economy in Myrtle Beach, as well as in other Eastern Seaboard cities like Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina. Part of this phenomenon is attributable to Medical Tourism, in which patients travel to vacation and resort areas for elective surgeries and other treatments - for example, certain specialties in which leading medical practitioners of the nation offer services in and around these metro areas.
Grocery and Convenience Stores and Restaurants and other Dining Places in the food related category are next highest in revenues after Healthcare establishments. This area of South Carolina is visited by larger numbers of campers and other travelers that make good use of these facilities. The dining opportunitits in Myrtyle Beach are top notch within a wide range of cuisines. The Hotel Industry also does an increasing business, with many good reports from travelers.
Events for Residents and Travelers
- GrandStrandEvents.com | Canadian-American Days | Can Am Days | Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
The Canadian-American Days Festival, typically held in March, celebrates the partnership of the Canadian and American citizens.
- North Myrtle Beach Events and Festivals - North Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce - Monthly Calendar
North Myrtle Beach Online Events Calendar. Find out what is happening in North Myrtle Beach, see online details about festivals and events.
- Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge
Special events during each season of the year.
Disaster Preparedness All the Time
- Natural Disaster Preparedness
Constantly updated with good information you can use about national disasters in the US and globally.
East Coast Neighbors
Neighbor City Links
- MORE MYRTLE BEACH - Internships, Jobs and Travel in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach trends and top job-listing companies. Relocation and retirement information. Vacations and travel sources.
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Charleston
South Carolina and port town Charleston, have a long history of building and rebuilding. Native Americans inhabited the land from around 10,000 BC until Spanish colonization in the early 1500s in a temporary settlement. In the 1600s, lands passed...
- The Pirates House , Savannah Georgia
The Pirates House in Savannah Georgia was built in 1753 and is supposed to be one of Georgia's most haunted locations. The Pirates House in Savannah Georgia was built in 1753 and is supposed to be one of Georgia's most haunted locations. The...
Some of the Best Myrtle Beach Outdoor Attractions
- Black River Outdoor Center - Kayaks and canoes for rent and sale on South Carolina waters at Myrtle Beach; specifically, Pawleys Island.
- Grand Strand Fishing Rodeo - Monthly -- Fishing Rodeo? It's a fishing tournament for a different species of fish almost every month of the year. A lot of nice prizes are offered and people have a lot of fun at these. Contact Kema. Faulk@VisitMyrtleBeach.com for a brochure.
- Pre-Labor Day Beach BBQ Boogie - Music and food at Myrtle Beach during the weekend before Labor Day. Located at Myrtle Beach, with related types of evetns on the entire Grand Strand that consists of 60 miles of beaches on the Atlantic Coast of South Carolina.
- Coastal Scuba - Scuba charters, dive instruction, and related equipment for North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach Areas. SCUBA is one of the most popular outdoor water sports in the region - especially given the view of exotic marine life offered on this coast of USA. Partnering with the state Natural Resources Department, Coastal Scuba had created an artificial coral reef for divers to enjoy as well.
- Carolina Safari Jeep Tours - No hunting, only viewing and photography. This is a very popular company at Myrtle Beach.
- Alligator Adventure - Alligators and other wildlife veiwing for the family in a safe but exciting environment.
- Riverboats on the coast - Take a riverboat cruise and recall the days of shipping and passenger travel in this mode while enjoying the views of the shorelines.
- NASCAR Speedpark - NASCAR is a staple industry in South Carolina and this theme park built around this popular sport is awesome!
Hot Jobs In Myrtle Beach Increase in 2013 by over 50%
Types of businesses most active in Myrtle Beach and listing job openings most frequently include:
- General and Teaching Hospitals
- Psychiatric Specialty Hospitals
- Childrens' Hospitals
- Cancer Hospitals
Non-Farm Employment numbers have risen dramatically in South Carolina, from a low of 1,786,000 in July 2010 to a high of approximately 1,835,000 employed workers in July 2011. This is about 50,000 new or re-employed workers within just one year.
For Myrtle Beach, over 4,200 jobs were listed online at the end of August 2011 and in July 2012, 4,000 jobs were available. This increased to over 6,600 Jobs by mid-July 2013.
Government data shows an average wage in Myrtle Beach for August of $529/week, with a comparison at $729/week in Charleston SC, to the north along the Atlantic Coast.
Jobs In Highest Demand In Myrtle Beach
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs); Nurse Practitioners
- Retail Salespeople
- Store Managers
- Cashiers and CSRs
- Restaurant Managers and Assistants
- Truck Drivers
- Retail Sales Managers and Assistant Sales Managers
- Assistant Managers - non-retail
- Restaurant Assistant Managers
- 11/2009 - 6/2011: Job Listings Increased 87%
- A curve of increase began again in January 2011 and continued through Summer 2013. There was a 50% from summer 2012 - summer 2013.
Major Hiring Employers
- HCA, HCA Medical Center of Lewisville, HCA South Atlantic Division
- Dentalworkers' Classifieds
- Mountainstar Health
- Grand Strand Regional Medical Center
- Wyndham Hotels
- Barr-Nunn Transport - Truck Drivers
- Georgetown Hospital
- Hilton Worldwide
- CVS Stores/Pharmcy
- Food Lion - Supermarkets
- Swedish Medical Center
- Bi-Lo - Gasoline/Convenience Stores
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of SC
- Conway Medical Center
- Elco Division
- Grand Strand Regional Med Center
- Loris Community Hospital
- New South Co Inc
- HTC Communications - All divisions
- Kingston Plantation
- Embassy Suites Hotels
- WalMart Supercenters
Future High-Demand Jobs
Myrtle Beach leaders expect the following job titles to increase in demand through the decade ending in 2018. All of them are estimated to increase in demand far above the average national demand for these jobs. In other words, the demand for these positions is both concentrated and high in Myrtle Beach as compared to many other US cities.
Truck driving positions began to increase across America in 2014, with nearly 1,000,000 jobs available in early 2015.
- Retail Salespersons
- Registered Nurses (RNs)/Licensed RNS and LPNs, including Travel Nurses
- Customer Service Representatives
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- Office Clerks
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and related jobs
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Landscaping and Grounds Keeper Workers
- Accountants and Auditors
© 2011 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Don't miss this fantastic record shop, live performances, ghost tours and the pirates roaming the harbor!
A traveler could spend an entire year in Pennsylvania and not see the end of it. The Keystone State is full of history, culture, diversity, arts, music, festivals, landscapes, mountains, visitor attractions and hidden...
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!