25 Fun & Interesting Facts About Chile
1. Chile is one of only two countries in all of South America that does not border Brazil
2. Over 1/3 of the world's copper production is produced in Chile
3. Valparaiso is one of the most prosperous cities in all of Chile and is known as “The Garden City”
4. Chile has one of the longest recorded dry spells in the Atacama Desert it did not rain for 40 years.
5. The number one world exporter for Salmon is Chile, It topped the united states in the early 2000s
6. Contrary to popular belief soccer is the most popular sport in Chile
7. Along the mountainous region of Chile, there are over 1300 volcanoes and a number of them can still be active.
8. The Majority of the Chilean population lives in the capital city of Santiago, Chile
9. Chile received its independence from Spanish colonial rule in 1913
10. The “maoi” island off the coast of Chile, was annexed by Chile and renamed Easter Island in the late seventeen hundred’s
11. One of the fastest growing cities in Chile i La Serena it has grown by as much as 30 % in the last 30 years
12. The inlet at the top of Africa was part of Chile in the days of “Pangaea”.
13. Chile has the largest annual fireworks show in all of South America, In the City of Valparaiso,
14. Chile has an unusual name for a football team (soccer) they call themselves the “O’ Higgions a Patriot of Chilean rule”
15. Chiles borders also extend past the main land. Chile claims part of Antartica and the southern most island known as Joses.
16. Chile has one of the world’s largest and most deserted deserts known as “Atacama”
17. The city at the very tip of Chile called Punta Arenas it is the southern most city on a continent in the world
18. The southernmost village in the world is also in Chile Called “Puerto Williams”
19. Chile also has the One of the highest lakes above sea level in the world called “Lake Chungara”
20. The most popular tourist attraction in all of Chile is Vina del Mar
21. Chile has one of the longest coastlines in the world, but also one of the smallest at being 6500 km long and 200 km wide
22. Chile has many large cities, but the second largest is located in the north along the Bio Rivercalled Concepcion
23. The Country of Chile got its names from the native nomads that first occupied the land. The meaning of the word Chile in native tongue means “Where the land Ends”.. Seems appropriate
24. The Andes Mountains in Chile have some of the worlds largest and still active volcanoes.
25. By a flaw in design, the church of Campania had doors that sung inward which caused a large wind to push them open. One day a strong wind blew the doors open. This wind knocked a candle off the podium and disrupt the meeting of worshippers. Theburning candle roared through the church which resulted in the churches destruction. More than 2500 people died in that fire
- Legends of Chile –Story Las Tres Pascualas
Every Country has its stories. Some more interesting then others. Legends of Chile is one of the countries that has a rich history of facinating legends
- Fun & Interesting Facts, Places in Chile
In the heart of Santiago, the capital of Chile, is the Plaza de Armas. The square is the historical centre of the city and surrounded by Spanish colonial
- Destination: Easter Island Chile
For years the this small island of the coast of chile has baffled people because of the large statues that dot the island
- Top 5 Places to visit in Chile
There are a number of things to do and places to visit in the country of Chile. These tourist sites in Chile all have their own unique history, culture and traditions and we will spend some time exploring the top ones that you won’t want to miss. If
Welcome to ExpatCrossing. com! If you are looking for more information on chile please visit my website :)
More by this Author
Ecuadorian Culture, Values and People and everything inbetween you ever wanted to know. Great vaction spots cost of living ect..
10 Fun & Interesting Facts About Peru get a glimpse into the traditonal, historical, and cultural values of this wonderful country
Argentina offers the world rich history, traditions, and culture. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Argentina a great country