Tours and Jobs in Napa Valley California
San Francisco Bay
Vallejo-Fairfield-Napa is a Metropolitan area containing two smaller workforce related statistical areas: Napa and Vallejo-Fairfield California. These cities include Napa and Solano counties, which combine with seven additional counties to form the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. The five most populous cities in Vallejo-Fairfield-Napa are Vallejo, Fairfield, Vacaville, Napa, and Davis.
Napa Valley in Falcon Crest - 1981
Napa/Napa Valley is famous part of the sunny San Franciso Bay Area. Napa County is largely agriculture and a substantial producer of grapes and popular wines and was futher popularized as the setting for the TV drama Falcon Crest, but renamed Tuscany Valley rather than Napa Valley.
Notoriously unappreciative of soap operas overall, I enjoyed Falcon Crest on Friday nights, because of the setting and the offbeat characters, especially as portrayed by Chao-Li Chi, Jane Wyman, and David Selby. The actual winery pictured in shots of the series is Spring Mountain, just north of SF in the Napa Valley.
Napa Valley Region
The City of Vallejo was California's capital twice - once in 1852 and again briefly on 1853. Named after a Mexican military hero, Vallejo is located on the Napa River.
Together with Napa and Fairfield, Vallejo has been named to the 25 Best Cities List for medium-sized US cities by Inc. magazine several times. This ranking assures us that the metro area is a good place to live, work, raise families, and probably to retire.
The City of Fairfield is the County Seat of Solano County (named after a Native American Chief) and is home to Travis Air Force Base and Annheuser Busch Brewery. Native American artifacts found in this area have been dated back 6,000 years to approximately 4,000 BC or earlier.
Today, Fairfield is embracing sustainability though revitalizing with pocket parks and neighborhood parts throughout the city. Several community spaces and two open spaces for hiking and wildlife viewing are also popular.
Napa grew during the California Gold Rush and by 1900, 140 wineries were operating in the county where Napa is the County Seat. Hot air ballooning is very popular as a tourist and recreational attraction in Napa Valley and a number of professional sports teams are headquartered in nearby Sacramento, San Francisco, and Oakland.
Native American Peoples
Native Americans were discovered in Napa and Solano Counties by Spanish explorers in early 1800s and later by other settlers in the USA as the country spread westward during the 1849 Gold Rush and thereafter.
Today, Native Americans in this area are largely gathered in the Alexander Valley in Sonoma County, another agricultural and wine center. Interestingly, Sonoma County has also been the site of Russian immigration.
Napa Valley Castle Tour
Limo Tour through Napa Valley
Local Market Area
Napa Valley Wine Country
High Demand Jobs Advertised in Napa
The following job titles have been projected to increase in openings in and around Napa from 40-60% by the year 2014. These include quite a range of occupations, from Transportation to Entertainment, Healthcare support, IT, Construction, Employment, and others. Most frequently advertised jobs are the list below, continuing into 2015:
- Bus Drivers - Local transit and among cities
- Medical Records and Health Information Techs
- Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents - Large tourism business.
- Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists
- Producers and Directors
- Air Transportation Workers
- Office Workers, - besides secretaries and administrative asssistants.
- Brickmasons & Blockmasons - Construction
- Baggage Porters/Bellhops
- Network & Computer Systems Administrators - IT
Top 10 Occupations offering the Highest Numbers of Jobs:
- Sales, Sales Support and Related Jobs - Includes wines.
- Food & Beverage Prep and Service
- Agricultural and Farm Workers, Laborers, and Nursery Staff - Includes vineyards and wineries.
- Office & Administrative Support
- Building, Grounds, and Maintenance
- Management Occupations - all fields and industries.
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Occupations
- Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Positions
- Production Jobs
- Education, Training, and Library jobs
Lists wineries that give tours and offer job listings are found on a map in categories of private, open to the public, available for weddings, dog friendly, child friendly, historical, and other categories. Information is provided at www.winecountrylimos.com.
Top 10 Jobs in Vallejo-Fairfield & Solano County
Most of the fastest growing jobs (40 - 50% growth experienced from 2004 to 2014) are Health related occupations:
- Respiratory Therapists
- Home Health Aides [HHAs]
- Registered Nurses [RNs]
- Interviewers - Including health related, but excluding Eligibility & Loan
- Dispatchers - other than for Police, Fire & Ambulance
- Biological Technicians - Including Green Industries, bioengineering, other.
- Graphic Designers
- Veterinary Techs
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators - IT
- Radiology Technologists and Technicians
The Top 10 Jobs offering the most openings in Solana County include:
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Project Managers
- Business Analysts
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Speech Language Pathologists
- Software Engineers
- Insurance Sales - Account Executives
- Assistant Store Managers
- Truck Drivers
Wine Country Aerial View
- Anneuser Busch Inc.
- Napa State Hospital
- Beringer Blass wines
- California Medical Facility .
- Domain Chandon Windery
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital
- Napa Valley College
- Queen of the Valley Hospitall
- Solano Government Jobs
- Sutter Solano Medical Center
- Solano Community College
Napa Education & Training
- American Gunsmithing Institute
- Boston Reed College
- Culinary Institute of America (CIA) - Greystone Campus
- Le Melange Academy
- Napa County Regional Occupational Program
- Napa Valley Adult School
- Napa Valley College
- Napa Valley School of Massage
- Pacific Union College
- Vintage Academy of Hair Design
Job Search Links for Napa and Solano Counties
Solano County Education & Training Programs
- CAL INC. - Vocational programs.
- California Maritime Academy
- Chapman University College
- Computer Services and Instruction, Inc.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University & Flight Training
- Falcon Truck School
- Michael's Transportation School
- OSC Computer Training
- Prime Health Career Center
- Solano Community College
- Solano County Regional Occupational Program
- Solano School of Nursing Assistants
- Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
- Specialty HVAC Institute
- Touro University @ California
- Trinity Biblical University; Trinity College
- Vallejo Nursing School
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Harrisonburg prospered through settlement and several wars. It continues to prosper in in the 21st century with hbistoric attractions, good educational programs, and new businesses and jobs
Two cities in North Carolina have been recognized on the list of American suburbs that are the Best 25 Places to Move for work in the USA. Triangle Research Park is at the bottom of this success and behind a growing...
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!