Visit Walt Disney World: Hollywood Studios
Click to enlarge
Formerly known as, "Disney-MGM Studios," Disney Hollywood Studios concludes my tour of all four of Walt Disney World's parks, which includes Epcot Center, Magic Kingdom, and Animal Kingdom. I highly suggest visiting each and every one of them at least three times each in order to get a thorough, fun-filled experience of all that Disney World has to offer! I also recommend to those who plan to just nibble on the best that Disney World has to offer to buy a Park Hopper Pass which allows you to freely enter any of the four parks all-day long for as many times as you like. Disney provides shuttle during all hours of the day to take you to and from each Disney World Park for free (although gratuity is nice).
In 2008, Disney Hollywood Studios hosted about 9.61 million guests, ranking it
the fourth-most visited amusement park in the United States, and
seventh-most visited in the world. Disney's Hollywood Studios celebrates classic and modern films, both animated and live, throughout the course of the 20th century and now into the 21st century. The themes of the 1930's and 1940's pays homage to films such as Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz and also features the blockbuster films such as Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Safe to say, America is known throughout the world for its excellence in the film industry and Hollywood is the factory that created them. Please enjoy!
Click image to enlarge
The Shows and Attractions of Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Hollywood Boulevard-As the park’s main entrance, Hollywood Boulevard is lined with numerous venues selling various Disney merchandise. Guests of the park will be treated to parades such as the Pixar Block Party Bash which travels the length of Hollywood Boulevard. Live street entertainment can also be seen here throughout the course of the day, as there is always entertainment present. The most noticeable structure located at the far end of the park is Mickey’s Sorcerer’s Hat (made famous from Disney’s classic movie Fantasia) which is Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ icon. Behind the Sorcerer’s Hat is a replica of Grauman’s Chinese Theater is the attraction The Great Movie Ride which pays homage to a host of several classic American films, including Casablancaand The Wizard of Oz.
- Echo Lake-Echo Lake is a small oval-shaped lagoon within Hollywood Studios that includes three attractions based on characters from the movies of George Lucas’ Lucasfilm studio. As a duplicate of the Disneyland attraction, Star Tours is a motion simulation ride inspired by the film, Star Wars. Jedi Training Academy is a live-action stage show that encourages children to become “padawan learners” (a padawan is a Jedi apprentice) and receive “lightsaber training” from a Jedi master. The third attraction is Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! The attraction re-enacts some of the most famous scenes from Raiders of the Lost Ark. The performers also explain how the stunts are created.
- Streets of America-Inspired by the cities of San Francisco and New York, Streets of America features three main attractions: Studio Backlot Tour; which features the American Film Institute Showcase—a rotating collage of movie props and memorabilia and a tram ride through Catastrophe Canyon, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure, and Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show is a behind-the-scenes look at how vehicle action sequences are made for film.
- Animation Courtyard-As you may know, animation is Disney’s hallmark of success. Such memorable films as Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Fantasia wowed generations of audiences from around the world. The Magic of Disney Animation focuses on the creation of an animated character, including interactive games and exhibits where guests can meet well known and loved Disney and Pixar characters. Mickey Mouse avenue boasts two walk-through exhibits: “Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream,” celebrates the life and legacy of Walt Disney through the use of photos, models, rare artifacts and a short biographical film narrated by Julie Andrews, while in “Journey into Narnia,” guest will see the many props and treatments from Disney’s “Chronicles of Narnia” movie series and meet the characters of the popular film in person. In addition, two live shows geared mostly to young children features Playhouse Disney Live on Stage! , which showcases characters from the Disney Channel, such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, and Little Einsteins. Voyage of the Mermaid is another attraction here, which showcases the ever-popular animated Disney movie, The Little Mermaid.
- Pixar Place-Practically a carbon-copy of the popular Emeryville, California campus of Pixar Animation Studios, its only attraction is “Toy Story Midway Mania!—an interactive 3-D attraction hosted by well-known characters of the Toy Story film series. Pixar Place also showcases Pixar’s iconic Luxo, Jr—the desk-lamp mascot—who performs shows all day long.
- Sunset Boulevard-As probably the most entertaining expansion of all of Disney’s Hollywood Studios (for older kids and adults), Sunset Boulevard features two thrill rides: “The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror” and the “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster,” starring the popular rock band Aerosmith. The “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster” is one of the best and fastest roller coasters I’ve ever been on. If you like it, you’ll want to go on it more than once. Sunset Boulevard also features two amphitheaters for live shows—the enclosed Theater of the Stars features Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage. Fantasmic! Is an evening show featuring Mickey Mouse and his friends, fireworks, lasers and water effects.
The Last Home Stretch (Hub 26/30)
Come and Take a Tour With Me!
- Visit Walt Disney World: Animal Kingdom
If you are indeed planning a trip to Walt Disney World, Animal Kingdom should not be missed. The Kilimanjaro Safari alone is reason enough to go to Animal Kingdom, as it's a fun and exciting attraction with...
- Visit Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom
Cinderella's Castle at Magic Kindom If you are planning to visit Walt Disney World, I suggest that you go to Magic Kingdom first. To me and my family, it was the best way to start our tour of all four parks:...
- Visit Walt Disney World: Epcot Center
Spaceship Earth I always wanted to go to Disney World when I was a kid, but coming from a working class family with two brothers and two sisters, I wasn't ever able to go. When I reached adulthood, I lost...
- The Grand Canyon's West Rim
The West Rim of the Grand Canyon In October of 2006, I was asked by my sister and her husband to go to Las Vegas for ten days. Aside from the fact that my job was killing me and that I needed a break, Vegas...
- Visit Luang Prabang Laos
Wat Haw Pha Bang in Luang Prabang Laos Steeped in history and tradition, Luang Prabang is Laos' Crown Jewel. Inducted into the United Nations Educational, Scientific, Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1995...
- Viva Las Vegas Vacation
Embarrassing as it may be, my flight to Vegas in October of 2006 was the first time I flew on an airplane since the age of four. The only thing I remember from my flight then was that I had to use one of...
More by this Author
If you are indeed planning a trip to Walt Disney World, Animal Kingdom should not be missed. The Kilimanjaro Safari alone is reason enough to go to Animal Kingdom, as it's a fun and exciting attraction with many...
Cinderella's Castle at Magic Kindom If you are planning to visit Walt Disney World, I suggest that you go to Magic Kingdom first. To me and my family, it was the best way to start our tour of all four parks: Magic...
American Express Centurion or American Express Black is the card in which all other cards are compared to. Perhaps the most coveted of all credit cards or charge cards for that matter, the American Express Card is...