Visiting 470 Davis Drive, Newmarket, Ontario: late Victorian Carpenter Gothic for the former Grand Trunk Railway
Throwback to travel in the Victorian era
This simple but striking one storey, Stick style structure is sometimes referred to as being an example of Carpenter Gothic, not least because of the prolific use of wood in the buildings prominent eves. The building is situated at 470 Davis Drive, in Ontario's town of Newmarket, in the Province's York region.
Formerly the station belonging to the Grand Trunk Railway, the structure now houses Newmarket's Chamber of Commerce.
Although the coming of the railroad to Newmarket predated this former station building by almost 50 years, the structure is now well over 100 years old, dating from 1900, still in late Victorian times. The original company which sponsored the railroad to Newmarket in 1853 was the Ontario, Simcoe and Lake Huron Union Company Railway. This Company was subsequently purchased by the Grand Trunk Railway, which was also responsible for this building. Other companies which later used the building are the Canadian National Railway and GO Transit.
A Member of Parliament once even used this structure as a somewhat grand constituency office.
Conspicuous features include a gable dormer with decorative vergeboards, above a bay window, and three chimneys (1).
An interesting insight into social attitudes in Victorian times is seen in the fact that separate waiting rooms were available for men and women.
The building is virtually unchanged since Victorian times and one could imagine that one were on the set of a period film backdrop, were it not sometimes for the presence of Maple Leaf flags (with the design dating from 1965) instead of the British flag or the Red Ensign.
Albeit from another building, a passenger railroad still runs to Newmarket, but, as in many Canadian localities and destinations in the Western world generally, the proportion of rail services has been supplemented greatly by bus services over a number of decades. This building does give one a sense, however, of the heyday of rail in the Victorian era.
The building has been given Municipal Heritage Designation and is recognized under in the Ontario Heritage Act.
May 30, 2015
(1) See also: http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=9225
Also of interest
Also worth seeing
In Newmarket itself, other historical attractions worth seeing include the North York Registry Office, dating from 1884 and the Pioneer Burying Ground at Eagle Street, dating from 1824, the Elman W. Campbell Museum and a number of striking church buildings.
How to get there: Air Canada, flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. Distance from Toronto Pearson Airport to 470 Davis Drive, Newmarket: 56.4 kilometres). The current GO Train station is located at nearby 465 Davis Drive, and links with Toronto Union Station and Allandale Waterfront and Barrie South. Please note that some facilities may be withdrawn without notice. Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information. Please refer to appropriate consular sources for any special border crossing arrangements which may apply to citizens of certain nationalities.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may be of interest
- Visiting the Colonel John McCrae Memorial Gardens, Guelph, Ontario: tranquillity, remembrance and ka
Empathy for the casualties of war, or prolonging the conflict? even today, John McCrae's famous poem divides as well as unites.
- Visiting Casa Loma, Toronto, Ontario: Neo-Gothic dream of Sir Henry Pellatt, punished by the City fo
Since World War One, the building's relationship with Toronto City Council has continued to be fraught with controversy, while the vision of Sir Henry Pellatt and E. J Lennox lives on.
- Visiting Old City Hall, Toronto, Ontario: imposing Romanesque Revival building by E. J. Lennox
Situated at Queen Street West and Bay Street, the Old City Hall, Toronto, Ontario, was completed in 1899 to an 1887 design by architect E. J. Lennox (1854-1933) (1). The building served as Toronto's municipal headquarters until 1965; hence the...
- Visiting Osgoode Hall, Toronto, Ontario: 1829-1832 Neo-Classical and Palladian home to the Law Socie
The three porticos of this complex of buildings are among the most striking features of this distinguished legal hub and historic Canadian site.
- Visiting Mount Royal: commanding views of Montreal, Quebec
Mount Royal (Mont Royal ), in Quebec's great city of Montreal, is one of the most interesting and picturesque parts of the city and region. It is part of Mount Royal Park (Parc du Mont-Royal ), planned by Frederick Law Olmsted, also responsible for..
Also of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...