Visiting Aberdare Hall, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales: elegant, historic building by W D Caroe, dating from 1893
Fine architecture and a distinguished past
Built in 1893 and formally opened in 1895, this fine building is located in Cardiff (Welsh: Caerdydd ), Glamorgan (Welsh: Morgannwg ), Wales, and forms part of Cardiff University (Welsh: Prifysgol Caerdydd ).
Some history and features
As an institution, Aberdare Hall (Welsh: Neuadd Aberdar ) was founded in 1885, and was previously housed in property in Richmond Road, Cardiff. Its formal founder was the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire (as what is now Cardiff University was known), itself founded in 1883. Aberdare Hall was, and still is, a hall of residence exclusively for the needs of women students.
The inception of the Hall was to a considerable extent on account of the intervention both of Lady Aberdare (1827-1897)(1) and of the College Principal John Viriamu Jones (1856-1901). Lady Aberdare was closely involved in the development of education, particularly women's education, in Wales. She was a member of the Council of the University College, and served also on the Court of Governors.
Architect Caroe (2) used a combination of terra cotta and brick for his building design.
The exterior of the building may be viewed from Corbett Road, which is situated a few minutes' walk from the Main Building of Cardiff University. The Hall is also noted for its extensive gardens, for its library and for its dining facilities and traditions.
Canadians will note that an early Principal (from 1892) of Aberdare Hall was Ethel Hurlbatt (1866-1934), who, after serving later as Principal of Bedford College, London, went on to be Principal of Royal Victoria College, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec from 1907-1929 (3).
(1) Both Lady Aberdare and her husband, the 1st Lord Aberdare, were much involved in promoting educational issues. Lord Aberdare was elected Chancellor of the University of Wales in 1895; his statue is located in Alexandra Gardens, facing the Main Building of Cardiff University.
(2) Architect Caroe proved to be very versatile in his building designs for what is now Cardiff University. While, in keeping with many buildings in Cathays Park, Cardiff, the Main Building of the University is noted for its white stone facing, yet the reddish hue of Aberdare Hall's building materials, which can cause the edifice to glow when in direct sunlight, stands in considerable contrast to some of Architect Caroe's other, local work.
(3) Ethel Hurlbatt was subsequently conferred with an Hon. LLD by McGill University in 1930.
Also worth seeing
In Cardiff itself, in addition to structures connected with Cardiff University mentioned above, the Glamorgan Building is now used by the University; other significant buildings and visitor attractions include: the Welsh National War Memorial; the Crown Court; Cardiff City Hall; the National Museum of Wales; Cardiff Castle; Llandaff Cathedral; the statue of Aneurin Bevan Queen Street, and many others.
How to get there: United Airlines flies to London Heathrow Airport , from where car rental is available. London Heathrow is approximately 222 kilometres from Cardiff . There are fast railroad links between London and Cardiff. Some facilities mentioned may be withdrawn without notice. For up to date information, please check with the airline or your travel agent.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting the statue of the 1st Lord Aberdare in Cardiff, Wales: nuances, ambiguities and a pivotal,
- Visiting Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales: the grace of its historic Main Building in Cathays Park
- Visiting Cardiff, Wales and the statue of Aneurin Bevan: honouring the creator of the National Healt
- Visiting the Welsh National War Memorial, Cardiff, Wales: a fine, Neo-Classical structure evoking so
- Visiting the Glamorgan Building, Cardiff, Wales: fine example of Beaux-Arts style in Cathays Park
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
25,000 people are said to have perished at this concentration camp on French soil, functioning between 1941 and 1944. 25,000 people. Albert Speer, later Hitler's production supremo, was linked with it
Close to the Medieval Pont Valentré, Cahors Station building is a striking neo-Classical structure which dates from the early part of the 3rd French Republic.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.