Visiting Alan Bradley Park, Mississauga, Ontario, and its herbaceous setting: peace in a leafy City
Maturing greenery in an ever more sedate, urban environment
Mississauga, in Ontario's Peel region, is well endowed with parks. One of these is Alan Bradley Park, with a broader herbaceous setting near the intersection of the Queensway and Cawthra Road.
The Park itself is named for a Winnipeg-born, former Chairman and longserving board member of Mississauga Hydro, and prominent participant in other, local public bodies (1).
This small Park is bordered by Melton Road and Melton Drive, the latter being a crescent which joins the former at two junctions. The Park's trees are a combination of deciduous and conifer. The Park already existed as a green area for some decades but in the late 1990s seating was added, and the current name adopted.
The immediate vicinity of Alan Bradley Park is residential, but the nearby Queensway is among Mississauga's — indeed, neighbouring Toronto's — major road arteries. The Queensway's wide, grassy border and adjacent woodland near the road's intersection with Cawthra Road thus form a substantial and mature natural environment, close to Alan Bradley Park. These woodlands include trails (albeit informal ones, which have not been made into recognized trails as at the Sawmill Trail, Erindale, for example).
These local surroundings, together with Mississauga's many other parks, combine to add to the City of Mississauga's reputation for peaceful and leafy suburbs, having thus avoided some of the less successful innovations associated with the built environment in parts of the Greater Toronto Area.
Alan Bradley Park is located at 749 Melton Drive, Mississauga.
November 9, 2012
(1) A local, Hydro substation is also named for Alan E. Bradley. (NB: Bradley House, at 1620 Orr Road, Mississauga, named for a 19th century United Empire Loyalist Couple and now a museum, is not directly connected.)
Also worth seeing
In Mississauga itself, among the many visitor attractions, a few of these include: St Peter's Anglican church, Erindale, dating from 1825, and its former Rectory; the the Sawmill Valley Trail, and many others.
The Custom House , Oakville (distance: 20.4 kilometres), now a local museum, forms part of the Erchless Estate.
How to get there: Air Canada flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. (Distance from Toronto Pearson Airport to 749 Melton Drive, Mississauga : 16.33 kilometres). Local bus routes include No. 8 & 101. Please check with the airline, your travel agent, or transportation company for relevant up to date information. Please refer to appropriate consular sources for any special border crossing arrangements which may apply to citizens of certain nationalities.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting the former Rectory of the parish church of St Peter, Erindale, Mississauga, Ontario: sedate
- Visiting the Custom House, Erchless, Oakville, Ontario: historic Estate beside Lake Ontario
- Visiting Ebenezer Hall, Brampton, Ontario: a typical, former one-room schoolhouse, dating from 1892
- Visiting Montmorency Falls, Quebec: spectacular sight, higher than Niagara
- Visiting Malone, New York: remembering US Vice President William A. Wheeler
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.