Visiting Binche, Belgium: Medieval fortifications recalling a strategic locality
Coming and going and goings on
These sturdy walls at Binche, Belgium, date from the 13th and 14th centuries. Notably, about 2 kilometres of walls have survived to the present day.
In the Middle Ages, Binche was an important locality. In fact, already in Roman times, Binche was situated on one of the roads what known as the Chaussées Brunehaut , this particular one linking, a road linking Cologne, Germany and Dinant with Bavay (now in France).
In the 16th century, Binche was the place of residence of Mary of Hungary (1505-1558)(1), Governor of the Spanish Netherlands 1531-1555. Mary hired architect Jacques du Broeucq (c.1505-c.1584)(2) to built her a castle that was supposed to rival the finest of the French châteaux.
But in 1554 French King Henry II decided otherwise: he wasn't going to have any such thing on his borders, thank-you very much! He ordered his troops to destroy the building.
People marching through; rulers dispensing patronage; building, and pulling down again: Binche has been a well-travelled historic centre for hundreds — thousands — of years.
But today the town is chiefly known for its carnival, and for its participants' bright costumes, some of them dating from the era of the Spanish Netherlands. Some of the legacy of the former Spanish rule was disturbing and even cruel. But the Binche carnival costumes recall also a rather more colourful aspect of this period.
Binche is situated in the Hainaut province of Belgium's Walloon region (French: Région wallonne ).
January 15, 2013
(1) Sister to Emperor Charles V (15000-1558), she is sometimes also referred to as Mary of Austria. I have supplied (right) a contemporary picture which has survived of Charles being received by Mary at her castle at Binche, now destroyed.
(2) In a somewhat melancholy insight, the architect thus outlived by about 30 years his former, sumptuous creation.
Also worth seeing
In Binche itself, there is a striking belfry at the City Hall (French: Hôtel de ville ); and some fine examples of church architecture.
Mons (distance: 18 kilometres) has a fine belfry, an impressive, ornate CIty Hall and the monumental Collegiate Church of St.Waudru.
How to get there: Brussels Airlines flies from New York to Brussels Airport (Brussel Nationaal / Bruxelles-National ; distance: 71 kilometres) from where car rental is available. The Belgian railroad company SNCB / NMBS maintains a service between Brussels and Binche . Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information. Some facilities may be withdrawn, without notice. Please refer to appropriate consular sources for any special border crossing arrangements which may apply to citizens of certain nationalities.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting Mons, Belgium, and its Belfry: 17th century masterpiece of Louis Ledoux
- Visiting Dinant, Belgium: amazing, ecclesiastical architecture on the Meuse River
- Visiting Bouillon, Belgium: memories of Godefroid, styled King of Jerusalem, and his castle
- Visiting the Royal Palace, Brussels, Belgium: imposing workplace of the monarch
- Visiting the City Hall, Antwerp, Belgium: remarkable, Renaissance-style structure dating from the 16
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Mexico City, and its Venustiano Carranza suburb and airport: remembering figures of Mexican history
It is well known that Mexico City's international airport is named for Don Benito Juárez (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México Benito Juárez ). Texans and American travellers to Mexico will also...
- 0Visiting Laguna del Sauce: An Uruguayan 70 square km reflecting pool of multidimensional refractions
An inland lagoon in Uruguay reflects light, hills and history. Nearby Punta del Este - whose airport is named for Laguna del Sauce - served as an ideological crucible pitting JFK against Che Guevara.
25,000 people are said to have perished at this concentration camp on French soil, functioning between 1941 and 1944. 25,000 people. Albert Speer, later Hitler's production supremo, was linked with it
No comments yet.