Visiting Cow Tower, Norwich, Norfolk, England: fortified structure dating from the 14th century
A looming landmark since circa 1398/99
Among its characteristics are inlcuded walls which are nearly 2 metres thick, clearly built to withstand vigorous attack. It did, however, sustain damage in the 16th century. Given its estimated construction years 1398 / 99, its condition is nevertherless quite well preserved for a structure as old as this. Indeed, in as late as the early 20th century, through the existence of a military report, it is known that the possibility of using the Tower for ordnance storage purposes was seriously considered by the authorities.
The structure was executed in mortared flint, with external and internal brick facing. Interestingly, its flint construction — formerly a popular, local building material — is a feature which, because of the brick facing, remained undiscovered for many years. However, in the 1980s the interior of the building was thoroughly surveyed, including with the use of Electronic Distance Measuring. Records of these survey details are held by both the Norfolk Archeological Unit and the National Monuments Record. Work in brick is known to have become a feature in local building from the 13th century, a practice thought to have been derived from Flanders, with which Medieval East Anglia maintained extensive contacts.
The Tower is thought to have been suitable for the deployment of both cannon and guns, and of the traditional crossbow.
It is not known with certainly how the internal space of the building was originally used in the Middle Ages. But it has been suggested that the ground floor was used as a dining area, with troops using upper storeys for sleeping. The structure has two, upper floors, plus a battlements area. A fireplace has survived in the wall on the south side of the Tower.
The Tower is currently administered by English Heritage. Because of structural dangers, the interior of the Tower does not have public access.
While for many years the structure has been referred to as Cow Tower, it was known in the early years of its existence as the Dungeon. The terms Hospital Tower or the 'tower in the Hospital meadows' were also formerly used. A former name for the meadows was Cowholme, from which the currently used name for the Tower is thought to have been derived.
Also worth seeing
In Norwich itself, other significant Medieval structures include Norwich Cathedral, Norwich Castle and the Guildhall. Bishop's Bridge and Pull's Ferry are situated not far from Cow Tower. A striking, 20th century building is Norwich City Hall.
How to get there: Continental Airlines flies to London Heathrow Airport, where car rental is available. Norwich is served by rail from London Liverpool Street Station. Norwich is 233 kilometers from Heathrow Airport. Some facilities may be withdrawn, without notice. Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting the Guildhall, Norwich, Norfolk, England: hub of civic government from 15th to 20th centuri
- Visiting the City Hall, Norwich, Norfolk, England: substantially based on the design of the City Hal
- Visiting Norwich Castle, Norfolk, England: William the Conqueror reminding local people who was boss
- Visiting Norwich, Norfolk, England and its fine, Medieval Cathedral: with one of the tallest spires
- Visiting Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, and its North-West Tower, dating from c.1344: overlooking
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
25,000 people are said to have perished at this concentration camp on French soil, functioning between 1941 and 1944. 25,000 people. Albert Speer, later Hitler's production supremo, was linked with it
Close to the Medieval Pont Valentré, Cahors Station building is a striking neo-Classical structure which dates from the early part of the 3rd French Republic.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.