Visiting, Dieppe, France and its church of Saint Jacques: a building with 12th century origins and a tumultuous history
Waves of buttresses and destruction
Canadians will remember how Dieppe is etched on their national history from events in living memory, when many hundreds of Canadians were lost in the famous (or infamous) Dieppe raid in 1942.
But the town of Dieppe has for centuries seen a no less tumultuous history.
The church of Saint Jacques of Dieppe (French: Eglise Saint-Jacques de Dieppe ) is a cathedral-sized edifice with its origins in the 12th century and completed in the 16th century. The north and south transepts date from the 12th century (1), the choir and the nave from the 13th, and the main doorway and the tower from the 14th. Some of the interior artwork was sponsored by local shipping magnate Jehan Ango (1480-1551). The building is particularly noted for its examples of stone tracery and flying buttresses.
In 1562 the interior of the church was ransacked by Protestants; for its time, this kind of event was not unusual in France and the Low Countries.
In 1694, an English fleet bombarded the town and the church of Saint Jacques suffered further damage. On this occasion, about 2000 houses in Dieppe were laid to waste; and even today effects of the bombardment may still be seen on the building.
Then, at the end of the 18th century, French Revolutionaries saw fit to 'consecrate' the church building for uses of their own.
The structure is described as showing a combination of Gothic and flamboyant Renaissance styles. The architectural and historical distinctives of the building have long been noted: it was been classified in France as a monument as long ago as 1840.
Dieppe is situated in France's Seine-Maritime department, in the region of Upper Normandy (French: Haute-Normandie ).
(1) It is known, however, that an earlier church building stood on the site of what is now the church of Saint Jacques.
Also worth seeing
In Dieppe itself, its clifftop castle is a museum. At the foot of the castle is a memorial to Canadians who perished in the Dieppe Raid, 1942. The café des Tribunaux traditionally attracted artists and writers. A regular ferry serving a crossing to Newhaven, England, brings many visitors to the town's port.
Varengeville-sur-Mer (distance: 12 kilometres) has an historic house which belonged to Jehan Ango (see above).
How to get there: Continental Airlines flies from New York Newark to Paris (Aéroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle ), from where car rental is available (distance from Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport to Dieppe : 214 kilometres). The French railroad company SNCF maintains a service between Paris (Gare Saint-Lazare ) and Dieppe. Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting Paris, France, and viewing the Eiffel Tower from the Chaillot Palace: impressive views
- Visiting the Old Town of Calais, France: memories and architecture from centuries past
- Visiting Dunkirk, France: city of magnificent Flemish belfries
- Visiting Bray-Dunes, France: the north blowing in the wind
- Visiting Bruges, Belgium: dizzyingly high towers and powerful, Medieval memories
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Laguna del Sauce: An Uruguayan 70 square km reflecting pool of multidimensional refractions
An inland lagoon in Uruguay reflects light, hills and history. Nearby Punta del Este - whose airport is named for Laguna del Sauce - served as an ideological crucible pitting JFK against Che Guevara.
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
25,000 people are said to have perished at this concentration camp on French soil, functioning between 1941 and 1944. 25,000 people. Albert Speer, later Hitler's production supremo, was linked with it
No comments yet.