Visiting Ebenezer Hall, Brampton, Ontario: a typical, former one-room schoolhouse, dating from 1892
Designated a heritage property
Located In Brampton, situated in Ontario's Peel region, Ebenezer Hall is a former one-room schoolhouse, of a type which were note so unusual in late 19th and early 20th century Ontario, but surviving examples of these are now rare.
Some history and features
Features include a small bell-tower, the conspicuous nature of which makes it a landmark in the immediate area, which at present (2012) includes some open land that has not yet been bought up by developers (although much local building work has been undertaken in recent years). The original building plans are recorded as having been prepared by J. Mason.
It is known that the first schoolteacher at Ebenezer Hall schoolhouse was William Noble. The catchment area for the school included Toronto Gore and Vaughan townships. Later expanded, the building was built in 1892 and served as a school until 1962.
Subsequently, until 1973, the building served as council chambers for Toronto Gore Township.
Now within the boundaries of the City of Brampton, the city authorities moved the building 15 metres in 2010 as part of a road widening scheme. As a structure, it has been designated a heritage building by Brampton Heritage Board. It is now known officially as Ebenezer Community Hall, and hosts many local activities.
The Community Hall is situated at 4494 Ebenezer Road, Brampton, close to this road's intersection with Gore Road.
The original name 'Ebenezer' in the schoolroom's name is a reference to 1 Samuel 7.12: 'Ebenezer: hitherto hath the LORD helped us'. A Primitive Methodist Chapel, also named 'Ebenezer', is situated at nearby 8999 Gore Road, Brampton; founded circa 1858, its adjoining cemetery has been used for burials since 1838.
June 10, 2012
Also worth seeing
In Brampton itself. Bovaird House is an historic residence open to the public. The Dominion Building is of architectural merit.
Black Creek Pioneer Village , Toronto (distance: 17.01 kilometres) has a much visited collection of historic structures.
Zion Schoolhouse , North York (distance: 36.08 kilometres) is another example of a preserved, historic, Ontario learning facility.
How to get there: Air Canada, flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. (Distance from Toronto Pearson Airport to 4494 Ebenezer Road, Brampton : 13.9 kilometres). Ebenezer Road is on Brampton Transit Bus Route 1. Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting the Zion Schoolhouse, North York, Ontario: throwback to rural education in the Victorian er
- Visiting Union Station, Toronto, Ontario: pillared, Beaux Arts splendour ... and disgrace averted
- Visiting Floral Clock Park, Niagara Falls, Ontario: brainchild of Dr. Richard Lankaster Hearn
- Visiting the Covered Bridge, West Montrose, Ontario: a remarkable, historic structure
- Visiting the historic United Church, Philipsburg, Quebec: border church, dating from 1819
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...