Visiting Greystones Inn, Orangeville, Ontario: stone structure dating from circa 1850, supposedly haunted!
Tangible solidity from a somewhat nebulous human past
There is a slight shroud of mystery surrounding this building's early history. Located in Orangeville, Ontario, the seat of Dufferin County, the building is assumed to be the town's oldest. Some sources give 1852 as the year it was built. Others give 1850. (It would seem, in any case, that '1850s' or 'circa 1850' would be fairly accurate.)
And then there is the matter of persistent rumours of the building being supposedly haunted. As a disbeliever in such things, there is nevertheless such a thing as the more nebulous sense of historical presence. A First Nations woman known as Red Feather is supposed to have met her demise in the building — by her own hand, so the story goes — and this event is supposed to be linked with unexplained phenomena which are reckoned to have occurred at the Inn from time to time (1). Evidence of unseen powers? Stories that are good for business? Readers will surely hold a wide variety of views.
Interestingly, the known first residents of the building are recorded as having made the transition into a sturdy stone structure from a log cabin, when they moved in during the 1850s.
Although built into the Victorian period, the building dates from sufficiently early enough into this period for a generally Georgian appearance to be reflected.
In recent times the property has not had a business based there, so although technically it was recently not operating as an 'inn' in any shape or form, yet the name Greystones Inn seems to have stuck. It is interesting that in its early years the property was known as 'Greystones Inn'; then later in the 19th century it became known as 'Graham's Tavern'; but subsequently the old name was reverted to. (It will be interesting to see if the name changes again in the future!)
Greystones Inn is located at 63 Broadway, Orangeville.
NB: A note also about the name of the town. In the 19th century, there was a sizable number of settlers from Ulster who came to live in the Orangeville area. So: maybe Orangeville was named for the Orange Order, strong in the north of Ireland and once the largest private association in Upper Canada? Actually, no: the area's first postmaster was a man by the name of Orange Lawrence (recorded as having operated Greystones Inn for a while)(2), from Connecticut! and so local people agreed it would be appropriate to call the town by this name. This apparently did not stop Ulster people from heading to Orangeville to settle there!
Interestingly, the original keepers of Greystones Inn are known also to have come from Ireland.
August 15, 2015
(1) See also: https://dufferincountyrealestateguide.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/day-334-of-365-greystones-inn/
(2) Incidentally, Orange Lawrence, b. 1796, committed suicide in 1861. To complete the picture, so to speak, the following genealogical site supplies a rather poignant photo of Orange Lawrence in later life, with a somewhat pallid, even eerie, physiognomy: http://www.geni.com/people/Orange-Lawrence/6000000011198110820
A heritage walking tour of Orangeville may be accessed at: http://www.orangeville.ca/get-file/370
Also worth seeing
In Orangeville itself, significant sights include the town hall, dating from 1875, with a conspicuous cupola; several buildings along Broadway are of architectural note.
How to get there: Air Canada flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. (Distance from Toronto Pearson Airport to Orangeville : approx. 56 kilometres.) Please check with the airline, your travel agent, or transportation company for relevant up to date information. Please refer to appropriate consular sources for any special border crossing arrangements which may apply to citizens of certain nationalities.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages might also be of interest
- Visiting Ebenezer Hall, Brampton, Ontario: a typical, former one-room schoolhouse, dating from 1892
Provincial flag of Ontario FlagPictures.org Ebenezer Hall, Brampton MJFenn Located In Brampton, situated in Ontario's Peel region, Ebenezer Hall is a former one-room schoolhouse, of a type which were note so unusual in late 19th and early 20th...
- Visiting the first Schoolhouse, 1820 at Waterloo, Ontario: remembering settlement founder Abraham Er
Provincial flag of Ontario FlagPictures.org Waterloo's first Schoolhouse, 1820, in Waterloo Park MJFenn The original settlement at Waterloo, Ontario was founded in the early 19th century; its main founder is remembered as Abraham Erb (1772-1830)....
- Visiting Woodside, Kitchener, Ontario: boyhood home of William Lyon Mackenzie King and National Hist
William Lyon Mackenzie King's status as grandson to reformist rebel William Lyon Mackenzie is often cited; historian Robert Bothwell's contention that 'he resembled his grandfather in almost no respect' (1) is, in turn, widely overlooked. However,...
- Visiting Britannia United Church, Mississauga, Ontario: almost 200 years of history in a modern city
High Victorian Gothic at an historic site in Mississauga: a congregation with origins in a building dating from 1821.
- Visiting War Memorial Hall at the University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario: monumentality in Georgetown
The University of Guelph, founded in 1964, incorporated some fine buildings belonging to existing institutions which it incorporated, among the most impressive of which is the War Memorial Building.
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.