Visiting historic Lewiston, New York: the former Episcopal church and Cornell House at Plain and Niagara Streets
Some fine properties at an historic intersection
In New York's historic Lewiston, the building of the former Episcopal church, originating from 1835 at the intersection of Plain and Niagara Streets, at the southeast corner, serves as the Lewiston Historical Museum.
Guided walks from Lewiston Historical Museum
The Museum, house in this noted former church building, was founded in 1973. Among the activities which are sometimes organized from this facility are guided walks around Lewiston's historic district, which contains many interesting, aesthetically pleasing and historically important structures.
Remembering the 'Cibola' steamship
At the museum there is a display panel relating to a local tragedy in 1895, when the steamship Cibola, built in 1888, with a capacity of 1200 passengers, caught fire, killing a crew member; it them drifted downstream and ran aground. The steamship's anchor is on display outside the museum, here, at the former Episcopal church.
The Underground Railroad
Particularly in the years prior to the American Civil War, some churches at Lewiston were involved in harbouring fugitives on the Underground Railroad. What was formerly the Episcopal church was one of these churches. It was noted, also, that a substantial proportion of the citizens of Lewiston sympathized with the Railroad and maintained a code of silence in the face of visits of slave-catcher groups. A crossing point to refuge in Canada was situated less than a kilometre away from this intersection of Plain and Niagara Streets, and at this point a monument was unveiled in 2009.
Remembrance of President William McKinley
On display outside the Historical Museum is a panel which refers to a trolley trip which President William McKinley took to Lewiston, in 1901. On that occasion he is believed to have been stalked by his assassin who, later the same day, caught up with him with fatal consequences at the Pan-American Exposition. The panel gives a representation of the red trolley on which the President rode on his grim, last journey.
Also at the intersection of Plain and Niagara Streets, but on the northeast corner, is a picturesque and historic property known as Cornell House. The plaque outside the house indicates that the property was erected in 1860. This house was home to Benjamin Cornell, among the most prominent of local merchants. The family owned a number of properties in Lewiston.
The Cornell family was originally from Rhode Island, from whence also came the Ontario branch of the family which settled in Scarborough: Canadians familiar with Ontarian historic properties will recall Cornell House, location of Scarborough's Historical Museum. Ezra Cornell, a relative of the Lewiston Cornells, was the founder of Cornell University.
Also worth seeing
First Presbyterian Church, Lewiston (distance: 0.2 kilometres); this 19th century, Greek Revival building on Cayuga Street was also associated with the Underground Railroad.
Frontier House , Lewiston (distance: 0.1 kilometres), probably Lewiston's most well known historic property, this former hotel dates from 1824.
Freedom Crossing Monument , Lewiston (distance: approx. 0.7 kilometres); this impressive monument was unveiled in 2009, and stands on North Water Street, close to the banks of the Niagara River.
Broderick Park , Buffalo , New York (distance: approx. 36.8 kilometres) has poignant memories of the Underground Railroad.
The US Post Office, Niagara Falls , New York (distance: approx. 12.5 kilometres) is a striking building dating from 1904-1907, which was designed by James Knox Taylor in French Neoclassical style, with Beaux Arts details. It is situated at the intersection of Main Street and Walnut Avenue. The American Falls themselves are of course an outstanding visitor attraction.
Bergholz , New York (distance: approx. 18.3 kilometres), at Wheatfield, became a German settlement in 1843, and has the Das Haus historical museum.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting New York's Lewiston: history at Center Street's Frontier House and the Little Yellow House
Center Street in the Historic District of Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County, has 19th century properties of particular interest to the historically aware visitor. Frontier House, 1824 At No. 450,...
- Visiting First Presbyterian Church, in New York's Lewiston: historical gem in Cayuga Street
Lewiston, New York's Cayuga Street is within the Historic Area of this noteworthy village, and with reason. Not only are there various, well preserved residential properties on the street, there is a local...
- Visiting Niagara Falls, New York: civic architecture at its finest memories of architect James Knox
The U.S. Post Office Building in Niagara Falls, New York, has embassy-like graced the intersection of Main and Walnut Streets in that city for more than a century. Responsibility for the...
- Visiting New York's Bergholz: German heritage since 1843
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The...
- Visiting Ashbridge's neighbourhood, Toronto, Ontario: remembering an old Provincial family linked wi
The Ashbridges, an old Ontario family, lived at their estate in what is now Toronto for over 200 years. This is somewhat of a record. Some history While the Ashbridge family's historic...
For your visit, these items may also be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Laguna del Sauce: An Uruguayan 70 square km reflecting pool of multidimensional refractions
An inland lagoon in Uruguay reflects light, hills and history. Nearby Punta del Este - whose airport is named for Laguna del Sauce - served as an ideological crucible pitting JFK against Che Guevara.
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting Mexico City, and its Venustiano Carranza suburb and airport: remembering figures of Mexican history
It is well known that Mexico City's international airport is named for Don Benito Juárez (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México Benito Juárez ). Texans and American travellers...
No comments yet.