Visiting Paxton's Tower — or Nelson's Monument — Llanarthney, Wales: remembering Lord Nelson, or Sir William Paxton?
A hilltop folly
This Tower, in Llanarthney (Welsh: Llanarthne), Carmarthenshire (Welsh: Sir Gaerfyrddin) dating from c. 1806/09 (1), is widely referred to as Paxton's Tower by local people, its official name is supposed to be the Nelson Monument.
Although this structure, now in the care of the National Trust, has a banqueting hall (minus a kitchen!), it is not a permanently habitable building. It would come into the category of a folly, even though some people might refer to it as a small castle. Its architect was S P Cockerell (1753-1827).
In neo-Gothic style, features include the presence of pointed arching and a triangular shape, with round turrets at each corner, and roof terraces. It overlooks the Towy (Welsh: Tywi) Valley, and is very conspicuous at its location on a hill near Llanarthey. It attains a height of 10.8 metres from its base.
Back to its name: the word 'Paxton' refers to Sir William Paxton (1744-1824). Born in Scotland, Sir William's local connections were extensive. He was Mayor of nearby Carmarthen (Welsh: Caerfyrddin), represented Carmarthen as its Member of Parliament and was also responsible for the development of the Welsh coastal town of Tenby (Welsh:Dinbych-y-Pysgod) as a resort.
When news of the death of Admiral Lord Nelson reverberated around the British Empire in 1805, this caused Sir William Paxton to determine to sponsor a memorial in Nelson's honour, to be built on his Middleton Estate (see also below). This motivation is supported by the notion that Sir William may have been personally acquainted with Nelson. But other suggestions have also been made to the effect that Sir William, an ambitious man, who had lost a local election in 1802, chose to use money that he would have spent on local infrastructure, if elected, on a visible reminder to local electors about their lack of 'wisdom' in not having elected him! (3)
But with the passage of years, what was ostensibly a structure to mark the reputation of Admiral Lord Nelson, became known as Paxton's Tower and thus in practice more of a commemoration of Sir William Paxton, at least, in practice, if not in theory. I wonder: how many local people who refer to the conspicuous structure as 'Paxton's Tower' need to be reminded of its official name?
Anyway, this is what Sir William Paxton inscribed on the Tower:
To the invincible Commander, Viscount Nelson, in commemoration of the deeds before the walls of Copenhagen, and on the shores of Spain; of the empire every where maintained by him over the Seas; and of the death which in the fulness of his own glory, though ultimately for his own country and for Europe, conquering, he died; this tower was erected by William Paxton.
January 23, 2015
(1) Estimates of the dates of its building vary considerably, but it is known that the death of Lord Nelson in 1805 provoked the idea of a structure in his memory.
(2) Other works by Architect Cockerell include Admiralty House, Whitehall, London (where Sir Winston Churchill resident during his two terms as First Lord of the Admiralty), and much of the architecture in the London suburb of Bayswater.
(3) See also: http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-9384-the-nelson-monument-also-known-as-paxton-s
Also worth seeing
In Llanarthney itself, Sir William Paxton's Middleton Hall was destroyed by fire in 1931; today, his former Estate at Llanarthney hosts the National Botanic Garden (Welsh: Gardd Fotaneg Genedlaethol Cymru).
Carmarthen (distance: 13.5 kilometres) Carmarthen Castle is a partly ruined Medieval edifice in the Downtown area; Trinity University College is housed in a fine Victorian structure.
Carreg Cennen Castle (distance: approx. 11.5 kilometres), near the town of Llandeilo, this ancient castle has a particularly craggy appearance.
How to get there: United Airlines flies to London Heathrow Airport , from where car rental is available. London Heathrow is 317 kilometres from Llanarthney. Rail services exists between London Paddington railroad station and Carmarthen (distance between Llanarthney and Carmarthen: 13.5 kilometres). Car rental company is also available in Carmarthen. For up to date information, please check with the airline or your travel agent.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting Carmarthen Castle, Wales: Medieval walls overlooking the Tywi River
Overlooking the Tywi (or Towy) River, Carmarthen Castle (Welsh: Castell Caerfyrddin ) is a partly ruined structure, built on a hill in Carmarthen, in West Wales. Carmarthen is referred to by Ptolemy; and a Roman fort and amphitheatre were built...
- Visiting the Old College, Carmarthen: a campus of the University of Wales, Trinity St. David
Firstly, the name of this institution of learning at Carmarthen (Welsh: Caerfyrddin ), Wales, has been quite complex, though I will informally call it Trinity College (Welsh: Coleg y Drindod ) for the purposes of this article. Some history...
- Visiting Carreg Cennen Castle, near Llandeilo, Wales: remembering Medieval conflicts
The historic English way of dealing with rivals was to make them lords or bishops. Here, instead, at Carreg Cennen the memorable Owain Glyndwr made a Medieval English heiress into a Welsh Princess.
- Visiting Kidwelly Castle: Norman monumentality in West Wales
Kidwelly Castle (Welsh: Castell Cydweli), in Carmarthenshire (Welsh: Sir Gaerfyrddin), West Wales, dates from Norman times. Some history In its time it has witnessed a siege army at its gates. Much of the building work evidenced today was...
- Visiting Tenby, Wales, with its St Catherine's Island and Fort: now it's technically an island, now
St Catherine's — a rock in the Bristol Channel (Welsh: Môr Hafren ) — can at one time be an island, technically; then when the tide recedes, it is connected to the mainland again. St Catherine's Island (Welsh: Ynys Catri
More by this Author
Step into the city of Cahors in the French department of Lot, and it is like a step back into the Middle Ages. The Valentré bridge has linked the two banks of the Lot River since the 14th century. It is...
Close to the Medieval Pont Valentré, Cahors Station building is a striking neo-Classical structure which dates from the early part of the 3rd French Republic.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.