Visiting St Jerome's College, Kitchener, Ontario: established 1864, now part of Wilfrid Laurier University
Sedate, academic architecture
The main building of St Jerome's College, in Ontario's Kitchener, is among the most impressive buildings possessed by Wilfrid Laurier University, the name of which features at the structure's prominent pediment.
As an institution, the College was founded in 1864 by clergyman Dr Louis Funken (1). Among the most striking features of St Jerome's College is its pillared frontage. The actual building, formerly a Roman Catholic high school, seen in the main photo, above, was erected in 1907, and has been designated a Heritage Landmark by the City of Kitchener. Its building materials are a combination of red brick, and stone for the arching and pillars.
The building houses the School of Social Work, of Wilfrid Laurier University (often abbreviated WLU)(2). It was recently renovated by Cianfrone Architect, Inc., in collaboration with Ball Construction, Inc. This $12 program of transformation, during the course of which the interior of the building was completely reconstituted, was awarded the City of Kitchener's Wagner Heritage Award.
Historical references to the building will sometimes be seen as St Jerome's College, Berlin: prior to World War One, Kitchener was known as Berlin, but in the midst of intense Imperial war propaganda it was decided to give the city a resolutely British-sounding name in honour of Field Marshal, The 1st Earl Kitchener (1850-1916).
St Jerome's College, WLU, is situated at 120 Duke Street West, near the intersection of Duke and College Streets, Kitchener (3), in Ontario's Region of Waterloo.
December 6, 2012
(1) The premises were originally situated in Erb Street; a plaque commemorates this.
(2) Perhaps conveniently, the University's previous name Waterloo Lutheran University, named as such in 1959, also abbreviates 'WLU'. The current name honors Canada's Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier (1841-1919), who served in that office 1896-1911, and Canada's longest-serving Parliamentarian (almost 45 years, 1874-1919).
(3) Its location is opposite Kitchener's City Hall; the City Council has taken an active interest restoration work carried out at the building (see above).
Also worth seeing
In Kitchener/Waterloo itself, visitor attractions include: Woodside, Kitchener, the boyhood home of Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King, now a museum; in Waterloo Park, Waterloo, is an 1820 Schoolhouse; and many others.
West Montrose (distance: approx. 20 kilometres) has an historic covered bridge.
How to get there: Air Canada, flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. (Distance from Toronto Pearson to Kitchener: approx. 88.8 kilometres.) WestJet and Bearskin Airlines fly to Region of Waterloo International Airport, from where car rental is available, from Calgary and Ottawa respectively. (Distance from Reg. of Waterloo Int. Airport to Kitchener : approx. 14 kilometres.) Some facilities may be withdrawn without notice. For up to date information, please check with the airline or your travel agent.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting Woodside, Kitchener, Ontario: boyhood home of William Lyon Mackenzie King and National Hist
- Visiting the first Schoolhouse, 1820 at Waterloo, Ontario: remembering settlement founder Abraham Er
- Visiting Waterloo Park, Waterloo, Ontario: remembering the solemn history of the Baby Cannon
- Visiting Kipawa Lake, Laniel: boating and fishing opportunities in western Quebec
- Visiting the Town Hall, East Aurora, New York: castle-like building dating from 1899, formerly the R
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.