Visiting Tenby, Wales, with its St Catherine's Island and Fort: now it's technically an island, now it's not!
Defending much larger islands from a small island
St Catherine's — a rock in the Bristol Channel (Welsh: Môr Hafren ) — can at one time be an island, technically; then when the tide recedes, it is connected to the mainland again.
St Catherine's Island (Welsh: Ynys Catrin ) is in fact a tidal island.
Looking over to the island from Tenby (Welsh: Dinbych-y-Pysgod ), in Wales's Pembrokeshire (Welsh: Sir Benfro ), I wondered what imaginative tales of adventure could be dreamed up as a result of this remarkable rock formation.
Well, in fact, dreams were once reality. This rock formation near Tenby harbour has a fort built upon it. This 19th century fort on the island is known as St Catherine's Fort. It was not built as a comfortable residence in which some wealthy owner might pursue dreams. Rather, it was erected in 1870 for a very practical reason: to help prevent a French invasion, if it came.
The circumstances were these: Lord Palmerston, British Prime Minister 1855-1858 and 1859-1865) was concerned that the French Second Empire under Napoleon III was pursuing an aggressive foreign policy. (Indeed, France did attack Germany in 1870.) Thus it came about that around the coastline of the British Isles a number of defensive structures known as Palmerston's Forts were built. However, given that St Catherine's Fort on St Catherine's Island, Tenby, was completed in 1870, the same year that the French Second Empire fell, commentators with the benefit of hindsight sometimes claimed that Lord Palmerston was wrong to have built the forts, and for this reason the series of forts were sometimes called Palmerston's Follies.
So who was right? Well, who knows? (But they do say that hindsight is 20/20...) In any case, nearby Pembroke Dock was a significant port, so the Fort on St Catherine's Island did have a serious military purpose, at least, from a conceptual perspective.
Anyway, what started as an unromantic, military installation on a bleak part of the coast of West Wales has become an interesting and scenic feature at what has become a popular tourist attraction. The now militarily redundant structure incorporates 16 turret rooms and it is said that the military personnel at the fort guarded a basement of 444 barrels of gunpowder. The military presence is long gone; the only residents in the vicinity of the Fort are birds.
Also worth seeing
In Tenby itself, there are 4 kilometers of sandy beaches, which are popular with visitors. The Five Arches Gatehouse is a structure dating from the Middle Ages.
Pembroke (distance: 16 kilometres) has an impressive and large Medieval castle.
Carmarthen (distance: 43 kilometres) has Medieval castle ruins.
St David's (distance: 59 kilometres) has a Medieval Cathedral, situated in the far west of Pembrokeshire.
How to get there: Continental Airlines flies to London Heathrow Airport , from where car rental is available. London Heathrow is approximately 363 kilometres from Tenby. Rail services exist between Tenby and London Paddington railroad stations, via Swansea and Pembroke Dock. Please note that some facilities may be withdrawn, without notice. For up to date information, please check with the airline or your travel agent.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting Carmarthen Castle, Wales: Medieval walls overlooking the Tywi River
- Visiting St. David's, Wales: Cathedral village on the edge
- Visiting Wales's Swansea Castle: imposing, late 13th or early 14th century ruins
- Visiting Kenfig Castle, Wales: Medieval ruins near Kenfig Burrows nature reserve
- Visiting Caerphilly, Wales: its remarkably well-preserved castle
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
25,000 people are said to have perished at this concentration camp on French soil, functioning between 1941 and 1944. 25,000 people. Albert Speer, later Hitler's production supremo, was linked with it
Close to the Medieval Pont Valentré, Cahors Station building is a striking neo-Classical structure which dates from the early part of the 3rd French Republic.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.