Visiting the City Hall, Dublin, Ireland: 18th century neo-Classicism by Thomas Cooley
Municipal hub in Georgian splendour
Some history and features
The structure is the City Hall (Irish: Halla na Cathrach ), and it was built between 1769 and 1779, with the lines of familiar neo-Classical style being very evident. The architect was Thomas Cooley (1740-1784)(1). Portland stone was used for the building.
Features of the building include a central, domed entrance hall with twelve pillars, in which there are statues of prominent figures in Irish history, including Daniel O'Connell and Thomas Davis; paintings depicting religious and historical scenes.
Originally housing the Royal Exchange, since 1852 the building has been the headquarters of Dublin Corporation, now known as Dublin City Council (Irish: Comhairle Cathrach Bhaile Átha Cliath ). The building is located at the junction of Dame Street with Parliament Street; its pillared frontage is a familiar landmark in central Dublin.
Among the prized contents of the City Hall are the mace and the sword of the city. In the building there is an historical display 'The Story of the Capital', tracing Dublin's past since Medieval times. In recent years the building has undergone a program of refurbishment.
The title of Lord Mayor of Dublin (Irish: Ardmhéara Bhaile Átha Cliath ) has been in existence since 1665, with the previously used title of Mayor of Dublin dating from 1229. Some of the more well-known former Lords Mayor of Dublin have subsequently gone on to careers in national politics, including former Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Bertie Ahern (2), Frank Cluskey and Seán Haughey. Some of the holders of the office have been strongly Republican: for example, Tomás Mac Giolla had previously served as President of Sinn Féin and in other prominent rôles; before Kathleen Clarke assumed her Lord Mayoralty in 1939, she had previously been prominent in Sinn Féin .
In 1922, the lying-in-state of Michael Collins was held at the City Hall.
(2) A brother to the former Taoiseach , Maurice Ahern, also served as Lord Mayor; another brother, Noel Ahern, also served on Dublin Council and as a government minister.
Also worth seeing
Dublin has numerous examples of fine architecture; a few of these include: the Four Courts (Irish: Na Ceithre Cúirteanna ), the GPO (Irish: Ard-Oifig an Phoist ), Dublin Castle (Irish: Caisleán Bhaile Átha Cliath ) the Custom House (Irish: Teach an Chustaim ), the Old Houses of Parliament (Irish: Tithe na Parlaiminte ), Trinity College (Irish: Coláiste na Tríonóide ), Leinster House (Irish: Teach Laighean ), Government Buildings (Irish:Tithe an Rialtais ), and many others.
How to get there: Aer Lingus flies from New York and Boston to Dublin Airport (Irish: Aerfort Bhaile Átha Cliath ), from where car rental is available. Car parking can be difficult in Dublin City centre and a good way to get around the city is by Dublin Bus (Irish: Bus Átha Cliath ). You are advised to check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information. Please refer to appropriate consular sources for any special border crossing arrangements which may apply to citizens of certain nationalities.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting the Four Courts, Dublin: neo-Classicism by Thomas Cooley and James Gandon, completed 1802
- Visiting College Green, in Dublin, Ireland: the old Parliament and the old University at the centre
- Visiting Monaghan Town, Ireland and its Courthouse: a stately presence in Georgian style by Joseph W
- Visiting Cork City, Ireland, and its City Hall: neo-Classical splendour beside the Lee River
- Visiting Church House, Belfast, Northern Ireland: Presbyterian Assembly Hall and Spires Centre
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
25,000 people are said to have perished at this concentration camp on French soil, functioning between 1941 and 1944. 25,000 people. Albert Speer, later Hitler's production supremo, was linked with it
Close to the Medieval Pont Valentré, Cahors Station building is a striking neo-Classical structure which dates from the early part of the 3rd French Republic.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.