Visiting the Glen Erin Hall Gatehouse, Erindale, Mississauga, Ontario: entrance to a former Estate
The developing meaning of 'rural' in a Mississauga context
Glen Erin Hall was an Estate built from 1926 by William Watson Evans (1891-1957)(1), and extended to 80 acres. The Estate was intended to be the landowner's rural retreat. Within the context of what is now the well planned and often herbaceous Mississauga (2), however, the meaning of the term 'rural' has undergone considerable transformation in the intervening years.
While this Estate's land has been incorporated into various uses, the ruined former Gatehouse may still be seen, situated at the junction of Mississauga Road and The Collegeway.
An historical plaque has been affixed to the remains of the stone Gatehouse, with information relating to the development of the Estate, originally intended to be in 'traditional English' style. The architects responsible were Mather and Haldenby (2) of Toronto.
In the early 20th century, the former Gatehouse served as the gatekeeper's house at the main entrance to the Estate, which attracted many visitors to social events.
The former Gatehouse ruins lie close to the entrance to the Ivor Woodlands and the Sawmill Valley Trail. What is now the Glenerin Inn (a private, commercial establishment a few hundred metres along The Collegeway from the former Gatehouse) was part of the Estate.
My thoughts are that this beautiful and peaceful spot preserves its former rurality within what is now an urban context.
November 15, 2012
(1) Landowner William Watson Evans was a prominent Torontonian who led a successful career in law and finance.
(2) This area was then referred to as Toronto Township, which formally existed from 1805 until 1967. when the Town of Mississauga was formed, renamed the City of Mississauga in 1974 in Ontario's Region of Peel.
(3) The Mather and Haldenbury architectural partnership was founded in 1921 by Alan Sherlock Mathers (1896-1965) and Eric Wilson Haldenby (1893-1971), and was responsible for many prominent buildings in the Toronto area.
Also worth seeing
In Erindale , Mississauga itself, other attractions include: St Peter's Anglican church, dating from 1825; the former Springfield Methodist Church, now Erindale Presbyterian Church; the former St Peter's Rectory; and many others.
How to get there: Air Canada, flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. (Distance from Toronto Pearson Airport to the junction of Mississauga Road and The Collegeway, Mississauga : approx. 22 kilometres). A GO Train service operative between Toronto Union and Erindale GO Train stations (distance to Erindale GO Train station at 1320 Rathburn Road West: approx. kilometres). Local bus routes include 1C, 44, 101 and 110. You are advised to check with the airline, your travel agent, or transportation company for relevant up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting the former Rectory of the parish church of St Peter, Erindale, Mississauga, Ontario: sedate
- Visiting Alan Bradley Park, Mississauga, Ontario, and its herbaceous setting: peace in a leafy City
- Visiting Notre-Dame-du-Nord: scenic municipality in western Quebec, where three cultures meet
- Visiting Detroit, Michigan, over the Ambassador Bridge: an impressive, river skyline
- Visiting Ebenezer Hall, Brampton, Ontario: a typical, former one-room schoolhouse, dating from 1892
For your visit, these items may also be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.