Visiting the Old Town Hall, Reigate, Surrey, England: former market town municipal building dating from 1728/29
Small and sedate, with some centuries of memories
This fine, small, two storey building, located in the Market Place at Reigate, in England's county of Surrey, formerly served as the town's municipal headquarters and is known as the Old Town Hall, having given place in its previous function to new buildings in 1901.
The Old Town Hall, executed in brick, was built in 1728/29. While not particularly large, it is still a dominant landmark in the Downtown area of Reigate, partly because of its detached situation in the Market Place and partly also because of its conspicous cupola and clock, dating from 1811, which can be seen from surrounding, higher ground at a distance. The third photo (right, below) shows a vista of the town, in which, on a close look, the white cupola of the Old Town Hall can be seen in the centre of the photo (as can Box Hill, a regional landmark and among the highest points in south-east England).
An unusual feature of the building is the conical shape of the western side of the building, which in its other three side is rectangular. The conical shape of the western side links stylistically with the Syrian arching which recurs around the building: in places above the lower storey windows, but also in the archways on the eastern side of the structure.
In the past, the Old Town Hall was also used variously as a market hall and as a courthouse. During the 20th century it continued to be used by the local council for various purposes, including exhibitions, but it has more recently passed into private business use, albeit governed still by preservation regulations. The building has undergone a program of restoration.
The town forms part of the Borough of Reigate and Banstead. While the Bandstead end of the Borought is virtually part of Greater London, yet Reigate itself has preserved a county, small town feel to it, evoking a time two or three centuries ago when London was a relatively distant Metropolis.
September 11, 2013
Also worth seeing
In Reigate itself, its Castle ruins, dating from the 11th century, stand in the aptly named Castle Grounds near the High Street; nearby Box Hill (see also above) is a much visited local landmark.
Mickleham (distance: 16 kilometres) has an old parish church in the churchyard in which is situated the grave site of Canadian Prime Minister Richard Bennett ('Viscount Bennett of Mickleham in the County of Surrey and of Hopewell and Calgary in the Dominion of Canada', 1870-1947)
How to get there : Various airlines fly from New York airports and other North American destinations to London Gatwick Airport, where car rental is available. Distance from Gatwick Airport to Reigate is 10 kilometres. (Please note that, while Reigate is considerably nearer to London Gatwick than to London Heathrow, many of the major North American airlines tend to seek prime slots at London Heathrow.) Some facilities may be withdrawn, without notice. Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may be of interest
- Visiting the University of Surrey and Guildford Cathedral: a magnificent setting in Guildford, Engla
- Visiting Canada House, London, England: splendid, Canadian hub on historic Trafalgar Square
- Visiting the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, England: sedate birthplace of HRH Catherine (Kate),
- Visiting Oxford, England, and its Bridge of Sighs: noted, architectural feature at Hertford College
- Visiting Bladon Church, England: grave-site of Sir Winston Churchill
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Laguna del Sauce: An Uruguayan 70 square km reflecting pool of multidimensional refractions
An inland lagoon in Uruguay reflects light, hills and history. Nearby Punta del Este - whose airport is named for Laguna del Sauce - served as an ideological crucible pitting JFK against Che Guevara.
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
25,000 people are said to have perished at this concentration camp on French soil, functioning between 1941 and 1944. 25,000 people. Albert Speer, later Hitler's production supremo, was linked with it
No comments yet.