Visiting York Memorial Collegiate Institute, Toronto, Ontario: striking frontage and landmark on Eglinton Avenue West
Charles Wellington Smith's grand tribute to victims of World War One
In 1929 Sir William Mulock (1) laid the cornerstone of what was to become a striking landmark in Eglinton Avenue West, in Ontario's York (later to be absorbed into Toronto).
Some history and features
The following year, this fine structure was completed and inaugurated by the same distinguished guest.
The architect responsible was Charles Wellington Smith, who, in the entrance way, sought to honour the fallen of World War One with various design devices (2). There are eleven, terraced steps at the main entrance: these eleven steps represent the Armistice of 1918, which took effect at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of that year. Carved into the stone archway of the entrance are two torches of remembrance and two shields of honour, one either side of the doorway. Motifs of oak leaves and acorns, grapes, pine cones and ferns, and the name of the school in Old English lettering complete the carvings in the stonework of the entrance way.
Don Valley brick in various shades complements the stonework in the building's frontage. Above the stone, entrance way window, is a crenellated balcony, executed in brick and stone.
The pleasing combination of brick and stone in the entrance way and its solid design reminds me generally of the Gatehouse by Sir Arthur Blomfield at Selwyn College, Cambridge, England.
The design of the frontage of York Memorial Collegiate Institute was thus one of the ways in which the former Township of York honoured the youth of York who fell in World War One.
Distinguished alumni of York Memorial Collegiate Institute include, in politics: Alan Tonks, former MP for York South-Weston and former Metro Toronto Chairman; in broadcasting: Dave Devall, the world's longest serving TV weather reporter; on the sports front: Harry Sinden, former coach of Team Canada and of the Boston Bruins, and Gail Kim, professional wrestling champion.
(1) Sir William Mulock (1843-1944) was Vice-Chancellor and subsequently Chancellor of the University of Toronto, and, serving in governments led by Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Postmaster-General and subsequently Minister of Labour (his Deputy Minister, whom he recruited in 1900, was William Lyon Mackenzie King). He later served as Chief Justice of Ontario.
(2) Source: http://www.tdsb.on.ca/SchoolWeb/_site/ViewItem.asp?siteid=10194&menuid=12575&pageid=11102
Also worth seeing
Gibson House , Willowdale (distance: 12.9 kilometres) is a museum at the former 19th century residence of David Gibson.
Black Creek Pioneer Village (distance: 14 kilometres) has an impressive collection of buildings of historic significance.
The Belltower, Thornhill West , Vaughan (distance: 16.4 kilometres) is a striking structure in an open steel design, with bells by Eijsbouts.
How to get there: Air Canada, flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. (Distance from Toronto Pearson Airport to 2690 Eglinton Avenue West: 15.1 kilometres). Travellers may wish to travel by public transit, via the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) 32 bus service. Please note that some facilities may be withdrawn, without notice. You are advised to check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information. Please refer to appropriate consular sources for any special border crossing arrangements which may apply to citizens of certain nationalities.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
For your visit, these items may also be of interest
- Visiting the Zion Schoolhouse, North York, Ontario: throwback to rural education in the Victorian er
- Visiting Neilson House, Scarborough, Ontario: pre-Confederation solidity in stone
- Visiting Rouge Park, Toronto and Pickering, Ontario: nature at the urban doorstep
- Visiting Kipawa Lake, Laniel: boating and fishing opportunities in western Quebec
- Visiting the tranquil Lake of the Isles, New York: the interior lake of Wellesley Island at Dewolf P
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Laguna del Sauce: An Uruguayan 70 square km reflecting pool of multidimensional refractions
An inland lagoon in Uruguay reflects light, hills and history. Nearby Punta del Este - whose airport is named for Laguna del Sauce - served as an ideological crucible pitting JFK against Che Guevara.
- 0Visiting Mexico City, and its Venustiano Carranza suburb and airport: remembering figures of Mexican history
It is well known that Mexico City's international airport is named for Don Benito Juárez (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México Benito Juárez ). Texans and American travellers...
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors