Visiting the former Canadian Bank of Commerce building at 744 Queen Street East, Toronto: Classicism from 1905
A convex frontage adding distinction
This former bank building in Toronto, Ontario, is a remarkably fine example of Classical architecture.
Some history and features
Dating from 1905, the former Canadian Bank of Commerce building at 744 Queen Street East has an especially striking feature which distinguishes it: its convex frontage. Present are the pillars — Ionic columns — so beloved of architects working in Classical style; but in my view the shape of the frontage gives it an extra dimension.
The interior of the building is noted for its quality woodworking and its staircase in spiral configuration.
The architectural partnership responsible was Darling and Pearson (1). Its execution of quality stonework is fundamental to the success of the design whole.
When the structure outlived its originally commissioned, commercial purpose, attempts were made to preserve it because of its sheer quality as a property. The building has thus been designated a heritage property by the City of Toronto.
In recent years the property has been known as the headquarters of a prominent fashion house. Here, the leitmotif of quality, in relation to such activities within such a fine building, thus chosen as their base, is obvious.
When floodlit at night, this property in the Riverdale suburb of Toronto looks especially impressive.
(1) Frank Darling (1850-1923), who also designed what is now the Hockey Hall of Fame in what was the Bank of Montreal Building at the intersection of the City's Front and Yonge Streets, was a Toronto architect who was active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries; he was in partnership with a number of other architects, including John Pearson (1867-1940), who designed the Peace Tower at the Parliament Buildings, Ottawa.
Also worth seeing
In Toronto itself, Queen Street contains many architecturally distinguished and historic properties, which include: from west to east: the Gladstone Hotel: Campbell House: Osgoode Hall: Old City Hall: United Metropolitan Cathedral: 111 Queen Street East: the Ashbridge Estate. Other outstanding properties in Toronto include the Ontario Legislative Assembly Building, Queen's Park, Old Fort York, Union Station, the Royal York Hotel, and last but certainly not least, the CN Tower, a great wonder of Canada.
How to get there: Air Canada, flies to Toronto Pearson Airport, with wide North American and other connections, from where car rental is available. Visitors may prefer to use the TTC streetcar service No. 501 from Downtown Toronto , which passes directly in front of 744 Queen Street East. Please note that some facilities may be withdrawn without notice. You are advised to check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting 111 Queen Street East, Toronto, Ontario: a very tastefully restored property
- Visiting the Toronto Cubes, Ontario and the Rotterdam Cubes, The Netherlands: intriguing, innovative
- Visiting Toronto, Ontario and the former 1845 Commercial Bank building: Palladian grace from a Kings
- Visiting Mount Royal: commanding views of Montreal, Quebec
- Visiting Toledo, Ohio: reflecting the Glass City
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.