Visiting the historic United Church, Philipsburg, Quebec: border church, dating from 1819
Georgian grace at a building with many memories
The United Church (French: Église unie ) building at Philipsburg, Quebec / Québec, dates from 1819, when work on the structure commenced; it was completed in 1821. Formerly Methodist, the building is thus the oldest existing, former Methodist church building in Quebec / Québec. Indeed, Philipsburg was the first settlement of what became known as the Eastern Townships (French: Cantons de l'Est ), dating from 1764. Many of the early settlers were Methodists.
The structure's simple, Classical lines give a typical Georgian appearance. Palladian window design may also be discerned. The building was executed in local marble. Its dimensions are 12.2 metres' width by 15.2 metres' length. A congregation in Montreal / Montréal is said to have assited in the raising of money for the building. A mission house, still in existence, dates from 1825. The congregation's first minister was the Reverend Richard Williams, who had previously ministered in Quebec City / Ville de Québec.
In 1837, the building was barricaded in connection with the nearby Battle of Moore's Corners. During the American Civil War period, families associated with the congregation facilitated the Underground Railroad; given Philipsburg's proximity to the US border, heightened opportunities for involvement were thus afforded to members of the church.
The congregation joined the amalgamation into the United Church in 1925.
The actual building was predated by Methodist activity at Philipsburg by several decades. Itinerant Methodist preachers were visiting Philipsburg in the late 18th century.
An historical plaque is situated at the front of the building.
Since 1999, Philipsburg, located on Lake Champlain / lac Champlain, has formed part of Saint-Armand municipality, in the Brome-Missisquoi region / Région Brome-Missisquoi.
May 28, 2012
Also worth seeing
In Philipsburg itself, St Paul's church dates from 1897, with its origins in an Anglican parish established in 1810.
Chambly (distance: 61.8 kilometres) has Fort Chambly National Historic Site / Lieu Historique National du Fort-Chambly.
Fairfield , Vermont, USA (distance: 42.1 kilometres) has the President Chester Arthur State Historic Site.
How to get there: Air Canada flies to Montreal (Aéroport international Pierre-Elliott-Trudeau de Montréal ) from Toronto-Pearson, and from New York-Newark and New York-La Guardia, with wide connections. A number of car rental companies offer service at Montreal-Trudeau airport. VIA Rail maintains regular services with Toronto and Windsor. Road access to Philipsburg is via the A-10 and Route 133; distance between Montreal / Montréal and Philipsburg : 83.1 kilometres. Please check with the airline or your travel agent for up to date information. You are advised to consult with appropriate consular sources regarding border-crossing arrangements for travellers of certain nationalities.
MJFenn is an independent travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
Other of my hubpages may also be of interest
- Visiting Mount Royal: commanding views of Montreal, Quebec
- Visiting the Louis S. St. Laurent House, Quebec City: former residence of a Canadian man for all sea
- Visiting Notre-Dame-du-Nord: scenic municipality in western Quebec, where three cultures meet
- Visiting Victoria Island, Ottawa, Ontario: First Nations heritage, and excellent views of Parliament
- Visiting Fairfield, Vermont, the Chester A. Arthur State Historic Site: where the 21st President was
For your visit, these items may be of interest
More by this Author
- 0Visiting an unusual church building on St. Clair Avenue, Toronto, Ontario: memorializing a business figure
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
- 0Visiting Lougheed House, Calgary, Alberta: a National Historic Site of Canada, this sandstone mansion dates from 1891
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
In the centre of the village, a stone monument bears a plaque inscribed: 'BERGHOLZ GERMAN LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT FOUNDED OCT. 12 1843'. And German Americans, mainly Lutheran, have been there ever since. The monument...
No comments yet.