What Makes a Great Beach Great?
Thong Nai Pan in Koh Phangan, Thailand
What Makes a Great Beach Great?
It is a difficult question until you have been to a truly great beach. And then the answer is simple. A great beach is one that you don't want to leave at the end of your holiday. A beach that you dream about when you are back home, working hard and hating the cold weather. A beach that you will undoubtedly return to.
As to why you will feel that way is different according to the person you ask. People value different things differently. That's one of the great things about people. However, from having lived on Thong Nai Pan beach for a blissfully extended stay I feel I'm in a position to name a few of the key ingredients that goes to make Thong Nai Pan Noi and Thong Nai Pan Yai truly great beaches.
1) First and foremost has to be the beach itself. Nature's beauty has no rivals. And few beaches can rival the beauty of Thong Nai Pan Noi and Thong Nai Pan Yai. They are set in an idyllic double bay surrounded by forested hills. The white sand beaches are soft underfoot and fringed with shade giving coconut palm trees. The area is scattered with huge granite boulders. The sea water is deliciously warm and inviting. It is calm and suitable to swim in nearly all year round. Nature abounds: yellow butterflies sport in the sea, eagles hover over head, tropical fruit and flowers are everywhere.
2) The accommodation in Thong Nai Pan is terrific. There is a good range to cover all budgets, starting from a coconut thatch bungalow with bathroom for as little as $11 and going up to the kingly luxury of villas with private pools for $1,470 a night. Suitable for backpackers and honeymooners and families. With and without luxury. Next to the water's edge or in the mountains with spectacular sea views the choice is yours. And it is not just the accommodation but it is also the service; the friendly Thais working in the resort, the extra mile they go to make you feel at home, to make you feel pampered, so all you have to do is lie in your hammock and doze.
3) The weather is brilliant. Sunny day follows sunny day in the South of Thailand, especially in the Gulf of Thailand which is free of tsunamis. It feels like summer nearly all year round. And when it does rain it is still warm. Usually it only rains for 30 minutes and then the sun comes back out and everything seems fresher.
4) The restaurants are great value. Thai food is famous and rightly so. The curries, salads, fresh fish and noddles are to die for. Full of exotic spices and subtle tastes. You never seem to tire of eating Thai food. And if you do,then there is pizza, steak, sandwiches, etc. to order.
5) What is better than having a cocktail on the beach and watching the sun go down. Mellow out as the sky takes on the soft hues of dusk. Then hit the bars to dance or chat or meet the locals. Listen to great music and go to bed when you fancy. And of course, that final stroll along the beach to your bungalow or villa is a romantic highlight in itself. Holding hands with your loved one and looking at the stars.
6) When you fancy doing something other than sunbathing or swimming then why not experience a Thai massage that will iron out all the wrinkles in your muscles. You feel more alive after a Thai massage. If it's beauty treatments you're after then why not have a herbal facial scrub, or sauna or oil massage? Or why not a reflexology foot massage? Or an aromatherapy treatment? All those rejuvenating treatments are available in Thong Nai Pan. Tannaporn Massage House in Thong Nai Pan Noi is particularly recommended.
7) Relaxing can never be over-estimated. Unlike Koh Samui, Koh Phangan has no ring road going round the island. You are far away from the noise of vehicles. Nobody bothers you on the beach hawking their goods. The only sound is the sound of waves gently lapping on the beach.
If God made the world in 7 days then it seems entirely fitting that there are 7 key ingredients to feeling like you are in a tropical heaven.
No comments yet.
Other Travel Hubs by Smartcontentz
- Boutique Hotels in Bangkok
A guide to staying in boutique hotels in Bangkok.
- Khao Lak Guide
A guide to Khao Lak and Phang-Nga Province inclusing information about National Parks, diving the Similan islands and things to see in Phang-Nga Bay.
- Full Moon Parties in Koh Phangan
A review of the Full Moon Parties on Haad Rin beach in Koh Phangan. Including a look at the atmosphere of the party, the music and the problems with the party.
- Laem Set in Koh Samui
A guide to Laem Set beach in Koh Samui. Included is information about accommodations in Laem Set, wellness courses at the Kamalaya, Samui Aquarium and Tiger Show and about other things to do in Laem Set
- Guide to Koh Samui
A guide to the beautiful Thai island of Koh Samui. This hub includes information about the beaches of Koh Samui, the nightlife, the accommodation options and things to do and see.
- Changes on Thong Nai Pan
There have been numerous changes in Thong Nai Pan Noi and Thong Nai Pan Yai. It is a matter of opinion whether these changes represent progress.
- The Difference Between Koh Samui and Koh Phangan
In many ways Koh Phangan is defined by its lack of an airport. Because the small island in the Gulf of Thailand is bereft of air service it has developed in a completely different way to Koh Samui.
- 10 Reasons to Backpack in Argentina
I recently spent six months in South America and one of the countries that I was most impressed with was Argentina. So below are ten reasons why I liked Argentina and why I believe Argentina is a fantastic...
- Tips on How To Travel Cheaply
Travelling is great for so many reasons. It broadens the mind and gives you a great new perspective on the world. You make new friends, see amazing new places, try new food and get to do new things. In short,...
Good Travel Sites
- Koh Samui Accommodation
Koh Samui is one of the most popular holiday destinations in Thailand. Koh Samui is an island paradise that has everything you could want. Find the best rates for Koh Samui accommodation here.
- Koh Phangan Hotels and Rooms Review
- Koh Tao Accommodation
Koh Tao is a tropical island in the Gulf of Thailand. It is famous for its unspoiled natural scenery, its great scuba diving and its beautiful beaches. Book a bungalow, room, hotel or resort here on line. Best prices available.
- Full Moon Party Thailand
A Guide to the Full Moon Party in Thailand held on Haad Rin Sunrise Beach in Koh Phangan. Included is information about the Half Moon Party, The Black Moon Party, all the schedules and the places to stay and party.
- Backpack in Argentina
Argentina is a great country to backpack in. This travel guide gives information about cheap hostels, transport, places to visit, Spanish lessons, volunteering and adventure activities.
- Koh Phangan Accommodation
Koh Phangan is a tropical island in the Gulf of Thailand. It has over 20 beautiful beaches to choose from. Book a bungalow, room, hotel or resort here on line. Best prices available.
- Trippy Traveller
- Trippy Traveller in Japan
- Travel Destinations in Argentina
- Trippy Traveller in South America
More by this Author
A revealing insight into the difference between the two Thai islands of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
A look at the scene developing around Srithanu on the West coast of Koh Phangan. It has become a centre for yoga teacher training. In comparison other parts of the island have a very different feel.
An article explaining the guiding principles of Green Interior Design and how it a discipline that is focused on ethics more than aesthetics.