What are some fun vacation ideas for families with young children
Stay close to home
A vacation usually means going away to some beautiful spot and unwinding.
I would advise staying close to home with little ones so they do not have to endure long travel by car or plane.
If your are travelling by car little ones may get car sick, you may be able to stop this by changing your driving style. Brake and accelerate gently. Take corners gently. Keep them interested in things outside the car. Looking down to play games can make them ill too.This will often eliminate the problem completely. For tips on driving see my hub on the subject. It explains how to keep G forces low.(G force makes the ride uncomfortable for all but the driver.)
With short travel time the babies are more comfortable travelling so you will have more fun too, as long travel can make them very grumpy, and the main reason to go on vacation is to have fun and unwind.
Picnic in the park
I like farm visits and staying out of the city.
You can take the little ones with you on walks to look at the animals.if you are able bodied go put them in a stroller and go for long walks.
Nature can be wonderful for them and you. The colour and noises of the countryside are very soothing and calming for small children and a feast for your eyes as well. Bird's calling to each other in the mornings, the sound of running water, the wind in the trees all refresh your mind.
When I watch my grandchildren in nature they are constantly fascinated by all these things, even when they were very little it was the same.
Keep it really simple if you can, so that it is a vacation that is enjoyable for you.
The best moments ever, are when you see the wonder in those angelic eyes.
Things to take with you.
- Balls of different sizes, especially soft balls.
- Pillows or cushions to make little soft nests for them to play with, lay on, build into little houses with etc.
- Make sure you share the time spent with them with your partner or other trusted and responsible adults so that you get a break and remain interested in their activities. (children can sense when you lose interest)
- Take lots of fruit and fruit and/or vegetable based drinks as being away from home they are more likely to broaden their tastes.
- You may be a long way from a shop or the shops may not have your chosen brand of nappies, wipes etc so take enough with you.
- Take a small plastic bucket in the car. You can prevent a lot of smelly problems with a small bucket.
- Sign up it's completely free
HubPages is your online space to share your advice, reviews, useful tips, opinions and insights with hundreds of other authors. HubPages is completely free, and you can even earn online ad revenue!
More by this Author
In Victoria there is an area unusually rich with gold quite close to our Capital city Melbourne. It is called The Golden Triangle Melbourne is built around Port Phillip Bay, with other major cities like...
I was nearly three years old when we moved to "the bush" from Melbourne, a large Capitol City of 4 million on Australia's south Eastern coast. Dad had just come back from World War 2 where he had been a...
Troubleshooting the sounds your car suspension makes can save you a small fortune. Before you spend a dime, read this first.