Where Do Locals Go in Jerusalem?
Everyone knows that the best places to see or experience in your travel destinations are known by the local natives. Where to they eat or visit on a day off. These spots often will provide a tourist with more insight and culture of daily life.
One of the most popular spots in the Middle East is Jerusalem, Israel. It is a huge city of 800,000 built on the Judean Hills with a mix of every nationality. It is an old 3000 year city and still being fought over by the Arabs and Israelis. Some of the structures are centuries old and it is home to Muslims, Christians and Jews, all claiming it as theirs. The most sacred site is the Western Wall.
Of course, what a tourist wants to do and see is 100% subjective to their own interests, but here are a few suggestions from the locals:
- If there is archaeology in your blood, one must visit the Herodium from the 1st century B.C. It was the Roman fort for King Herod. You can spend hours there.
- Visit the Western Wall Tunnels on a guided tour that go beneath the foundation. They were built by the Romans and the tunnel runs 1600 ft.
- Go to the Dome of the Rock for this iconic symbol and the gardens that surround it. Smell the lavender and rosemary.
- The best panoramic views of the old and new cities are seen from the Haas Promenade. The entrance is on Daniel Yanovski Street.
- Check out the Valley of the Cross that dates back to the 11th century. The area is filled with beautiful olive trees.
- The best museum is the Rockefeller Archaeological that has a collection of artifacts going back 250,000 years!
- The flavor of the Middle East is best had at the Mahane Yehuda Market, which began in 1928. Also visit the Arab market for the experience at Khan al-Zeit Street.
- For authentic food, try Arcadia, a small eatery in a 19th century era alleyway @ 10 Agrippas Street; for true Arab food, it is Arabesque at the American Colony hotel @ 1 Louis Vincent St. Also, try the King David Hotel built in 1931. For the best soup, go to Mordoch, located at 70 Agrippas St.
More by this Author
With over 7000 islands, the Philippines offers many, many hidden gems for a cheap vacation.
You can do a lot in ten days time and see the high points of this fantastic state.
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.