Why Are French Men So Irresistible
We were sipping a glass of wine by the pool this afternoon among girlfriends talking about men -what else could we talk about? After all, we are in France- when it finally hit me why are French men so irresistible.
I think most women would agree with me that French men have a "je ne sais quoi" that makes them irresistible. They might not be the most handsome ones, but they are charming and lovable. But what makes French men so different to other Europeans or Americans? Here you will find the answer.
Yes, French Men Are Irresistible
Do you know that out of 5352 people who read this article and voted in the poll at the end of this page 87% agreed with the idea that French men are irresistible
French Actor Gaspard Ulliel
What Makes French Men so Irresistible?
- From the first impressions you recognize a French man by his outfit. A Parisian has no competitors for fashion sense. Ordinarily you would never buy an orange scarf for your boyfriend, until you see a Parisian walking along the Champs Elysees with an orange silk scarf complementing his "decontracte" style. Only the Italians come closer with their particular sense of elegance and distinction.
- Attitude. French guys look straight into your eyes when they are talking to you. Ok. Sometimes their eyes stray away towards your boobs, but quickly they come back to meet your eyes. It is actually considered bad manners not to look into the eyes of someone when you are talking to them and someone told me that it brings 7 years bad sex if you do not look straight into the eyes of someone when toasting!
- French men are passionate about anything they might be talking about which usually is food, wine or sex, sometimes all three at once!
- Conversation. With French men, you can talk about anything you talk with your girlfriends. It does not matter their education, any French man will be able to talk with you about the latest fashion trends, cooking recipes and of course wine and cheese.
- The French have a highly developed sense of smell. A French man actually appreciates your selection of toiletries. They can even recognize your perfume by name. I still remember the time I met a French fashion photographer in a Marbella nightclub, after being introduced he asked me -just to corroborate that he was right- if I was wearing Nilang, a perfume by Lalique, which at the time was only available in the Lalique shops in Paris so the scent was very exclusive and unknown. That impressed me!
- French men can cook. And I am not talking about an omelette or opening a can of baked beans... no, no, no. I am talking about delicious well-prepared meals cooked with lashes of fresh cream and herbs that you have never heard about; all served at a well-decorated table and eaten with three hours of delightful conversation washed down with a carefully selected bottle of wine.
- It does not matter what a French man tells you, if he says it in French you will be at his feet. Their accent, pronunciation and who knows what else are so irresistible, that I have almost fallen in love with many men without even having looked at their faces. Let's be honest with a French man it doesn't matter what he says but how he says it.
- French men are very expressive; they like to tell you how they feel and if they compliment you they really mean it. By and large they are not afraid to show their emotions. They will tell you that they love you, that they are mad about you and pour their heart out to you without feeling compromised for doing it. Even tough cinema actor Vincent Cassel has been quoted saying: "I think I'm actually more vulnerable than people imagine."
- Most men do not drink beer -whisky as an aperitif is more acceptable and wine with a meal. By and large a more elegant choice of drink.
- Their life does not revolve around football matches. In three years living in France, I have not yet met a football fan; at least not the type that spends Saturday afternoon in front of the tv. drinking a beer and cheering his team. They watch football, yes they do, as well as other sports, but given the choice they would actually prefer to spend time with you "wining and dining".
- French men are still gentlemen and as such they still pay for you when you go out with them. French men like to pick up the bill. I know many feminists will be outraged by this, but they do it naturally. If you go out dining with male friends you do not have to go through the awkward discussion of who ate what or take out the calculator to divide the bills. Most of them are just happy to pay for you.
- They know how to make you feel special.
Some of my favourite French actors who personify my ideal of French men are:
Born in Paris with impossibly blue eyes, Vincent Cassel is a star of European cinema. Famous for his tough guy roles and eclectic choices, is also known for being Monica Belluci's husband, although they separated on 2013 after 18 years of being together.
He is known worldwide through his film performances in Ocean's Twelve and Ocean's Thirteen, as well as Black Swan.
Vincent Cassel has also been the face of Yves Saint Laurent men's fragrance, La Nuit de l'Homme
At only 30 years old, Gaspard Ulliel is already and internationally recognized actor thanks to the role of Hannibal Lecter on Hannibal lecter the origin of Evil where he plays in English. He is also known internationally thanks to his role on Yves Saint Laurent on 2013. He is also “the face” of Chanel’s perfume Bleu.
I personally find his timid smile and "bad boy" looks absolutely irresistible.
Gaspard Ulliel for French "Glamour" Magazine
I know, This is actually a weird choice for many. I am not blind and I don't think of Gerard Depardieu as a beauty icon, I know that he is by no means a handsome hero but if you have ever seen him playing Cyrano de Bergerac (in French original version) you will understand why there was not a better choice for the character and why so many women are mad about him. Just listen to the video of Cyrano talking to his beloved Roxane. Like her you will feel your knees going like jelly at the whisper of Cyrano and his beautiful words.
"Cyrano de Bergerac"
An icon of French cinematography, one of the few incredibly handsome French actors. Even now aged 79 he is still hot and you can see him in his latest film Astérix aux jeux olympiques (2008), where he plays Julius Cesar.
Although born in Switzerland (1962), Perez is considered a French actor. He has been quoted saying "j'étais perdu, sans pays, la france m'a adopté" (I was lost with no country and France adopted me).
Vincent Perez has a soulful, exotic-look about him and if you listen to him in French, you could just melt like an ice cream.
One of my favourite films where he features along with Isabelle Adjani is "La Reine Margot". Like the Newsday reviewed it: a film " Filled to the brim with dramatic family confrontations, death-bed scenes, poisoned books, sex, redemption and expert scenery. Every moment is riveting, every actor gives his all. Particularly good are (...) Vincent Perez as Margot's hot-blooded beloved, La Mole."
“If there were no Frenchwomen, life wouldn't be worth living.”— Friedrich Engels
French Singer M. Pokora
M. Pokora or Matt Pokora, is one of my favourites French singers. He was just perfect on the role of Robin Hood in the French musical comedy “Robin des Bois”. He is also known for his big heart as he is a great supporter of charity causes particularly AIDS and children charities.
M Pokora - Catch me if you can
What do you think... Do you agree?
Do you think French men are irresistible?See results without voting
© 2008 Wendy Iturrizaga
More by this Author
La Souterraine is a small town between Argenton Sur Creuse and Limoges.
- 3French Castles : Chateau Guillaume the Castle of Eleanor of Aquitaine the Woman Who Ruled France and England.
A beautifully restored castle built between 1087 and 1112 and the fascinating story of Eleanor of Aquitaine the woman who ruled over France and England.
Make a dramatic impression with these jeans that fit. Whether it is skinny, super chic, minimalistic or very ornate, here are some tips to find plus size jeans that fit and flatter your figure.