Why Scottish men are sexy... or are they ?
A visit to Scotland
It was supposed to be a lazy day of sightseeing. A whisky distillery in the morning, lunch at an old mill and then back to our 13th-century castle accommodation in the evening. Yet from the moment we laid eyes on our Scottish busdriver, we knew it was going to be a memorable tour.
"Is this Hollywood movie star really our bus driver?" asks my companion on our busload of women. "Is he married?" someone else asks.
To imagine our busdriver is to picture all of Scotland in one man. Dark-blue tartan kilt, woolen knee breeches bound with twine, silver blade tucked into the top of his hose and leather sporran lashed around his hips. He is blond and goateed, with a lilting accent peppered with "ayes". Even his company-issue polo shirt seems sexy. More Liam Neeson than Mel Gibson. His eyes are as hopeful as a puppy with his leash.
"Would you want to go up to the Highlands?" he asks us. You is yee. Go is goo.
"We could goo up to the Highlands tomorra mornin', if yeed leek," he continues. "Weeell have to leave a wee bit early but weell still be back in time foo lunch. It's soo close, I cannae believe it's noo in yee itinerary."
We cannae believe it either. Later, he tells us that he has travelled the world with his bagpipes in his backpack, probably being the only Scotsman to have piped in Salzburg and Sydney and everywhere in between. This info surely adds up to the romantic idea most women have about Scottish men.
Worldwide it seems a lot of the female population are fixated on Scottish men as the ultimate romantic hero. What they appear to have in mind is along the lines of Mel Gibson’s portrayal of Wallace in Braveheart; son of a wild, beautiful, tempestuous and untamed land, steeped in romantic history, independent, hardy and ready to take on – and defeat - anyone who threatens his homeland or his 'wummin’… Darling Mel had women everywhere sighing for a Highlander of their very own !
Another perfect Scottish example of skill and charm must be Bond, James Bond. He wears sex appeal like a second skin by the way he walks, moves and looks, making it impossible for women not to notice him in a sexual way. The immortal portrayal by Sean Connery makes Commander Bond very emphatically a Scot… And when he opens his mouth there’s this sexy brogue – rough and masculine, described as chocolate for the ears !
Answers you may get when you ask...
"WHAT DO YOU WEAR UNDER YOUR KILT?"
- How badly do you want to know?
- How warm are your hands?
- Me mother once told me a real lady wouldn't ask. She was right, God bless 'er.
- My Scottish pride.
- Sorry, I'm a bit shy and not much good with words. Give me your hand...
- Talcum powder
"WHAT'S UNDER YOUR KILT?"
- A wee set of pipes.
- My shoes and socks.
- String - I had to tie it up so it didn’t hang below the kilt.
- What God graced me with.
"WHAT'S WORN UNDER YOUR KILT?"
- Nothing is worn, everything is in perfect working order.
Men in kilts
And speaking of Sean Connery... His Friends of Scotland charity produces Dressed to Kilt, the most prestigious Scottish fashion show in the world which kicks-off Tartan Week in New York each year. The non-profit organization promotes Scotland in the USA and the fashion show tartans and kilts.
And do women find men in kilts attractive? Hell, yeah, you can bet your life they do and wonder at what may or may not be underneath ! In modern language not wearing anything below the kilt is often referred to as going "Commando" or "Regimental", both terms have their roots in military tradition.
The rule against wearing anything under the kilt was once so strict that until World War II inspections of Black Watch troops included having them step on a mirror. For officers, violating the rule cost the offender a bottle of port. Now the under-the-kilt dress is optional, but options don't come easily to men who believe in tradition – most highland kilted soldiers go “regimental” and so does the average kilt-wearing Scot !
But is this Scottish image realistic ?
A recent online survey showed that Scottish men are not considered that romantic after all. Almost a fifth of Scottish women surveyed said they didn’t think their men took enough time in bed and said they ‘could be more romantic’. 16% of the Scottish men surveyed seemed to back this up by voting a ‘hotel room’ as the best place to take a first date (the highest figure in Europe apparently)! 14% of Scottish women surveyed said their partner had even answered the phone during sex!
In another survey, where women from 20 countries were to rate nations on their talent in the bedroom and give reasons for their answers, the Scots lovers were considered to be 'too loud' and were therefore ranked 8th as the world's worst lovers.
Nevertheless, the sexy and romantic image of Scotsmen is quite persistent. Living in a period where Scots and people of Scots heritage have a real joy in promoting this heritage in culture, dress, drink, music and sports, it's not surprising that you can see some new Scottish laddies on the stage. Below some of Scotland's finest (I think)...
Scottish actor, born November, 13 1969 in Glasgow
- Burns (2011)
- The Bounty Hunter (2010)
- P.S. I love you (2007)
- Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003)
- Was a big practical joker while shooting The Bounty Hunter and used to amuse the crew by flashing his butt
- Struggles to stick to the healthy eating plans he has adhere to while shooting movies, and often yearns for the calorific delicacies of his home country
- Likes women to make the first move
- Ranked #6 on People magazine's Hottest Bachelor 2008 list
retired Scottish actor and producer born August, 25 1930 in Edinburgh
Most famous for playing the character of James Bond in seven Bond films but there's a long list of movies to his name.
There was much controversy when he stated in an interview with Barbra Walters (1987), that it was "okay to smack a woman"
Knighted in July 2000; member of the Scottish National Party campaigning for Scottish independence and therefore accused of hypocrisy for accepting the knighthood
Scottish actor, born November, 25 1965 in Glenrothes, Fife
Filmography: Desperate Housewives , Ripley's Game, Mission: Impossible II
- Has been a regular Chieftain at Markinch Highland Games in Fife
- Was cast as Wolverine in X-MEN (2000), but had to leave due to a schedule conflict with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II (2000)
- Placed 97th in the Top 100 Sexiest Men of New Woman Magazine
- Was born Stephen Scott, but the name had already been registered at Equity, so he took his French grandmother's surname
Model of Scottish descent, born February, 19 1980 and best known for his advert for Dolce & Gabbana's fragrance "Light Blue"
- On 26 June 2009, Forbes Magazine ranked Gandy as the world's third most successful male model, behind Matt Gordon and Sean O'Pry
- David has followed in the famous footsteps as luminaries such as designer Paul Smith, by blogging for VOGUE.COM. The model started blogging on the fashion website from late June 2010.
Scottish international rugby player born January,15 1981 in Perth, Scotland.
Lamont was photographed naked for the Dieux du Stade 2007 calendar and appeared in the Dieux du Stade DVD.
Scottish actor, born August 7, 1975 in Stornoway-Isle of Lewis.
- Clash of the Titans (2010)
- Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- The Tudors (2008)
Plays guitar, violin and harmonica and writes his own songs
Scottish actor, born April 21, 1979 in Glasgow
- X-men First Class (2011)
- Wanted (2008)
- Last King of Scotland (2006)
- Chronicles of Narnia (2005)
- Band of Brothers (2001)
- Hates it when fans interrupt him when he is using the toilet. He is often approached by men in public conveniences who attempt to talk to him or shake his hand while he's relieving himself.
- Says he would rather eat dog poo than exercise
- While growing up, he wanted to be a priest
- Chosen as one of People Magazine's Sexiest Men Alive for 2007
Scottish actor, born March 31, 1971 in Crieff, Perthshire
- Nanny McPhee returns (2010)
- Angels and Demons (2009)
- Miss Potter (2006)
- Moulin Rouge (2001)
- Star Wars (several episodes)
- Has reportedly bagged the lead role in Madonna's movie W.E., about the late British royal King Edward VIII
- Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor shared a kiss in Paris, France after they were made knights in the prestigious National Order of Arts and Letters at the Ministry of Culture
- Isn't interested in doing a sequel to 1996 cult movie TRAINSPOTTING, because he hates the book it's based on
- Reveals he had several cancerous moles removed from just below his right eye
- Ewan, a UNICEF ambassador, adopted a 4-year-old girl from Mongolia, named Jamyan, whom he met while traveling around the world in 2004
Scottish singer, born March 23, 1965 in Clydebank as Mark McLachlan.
- Lead singer of the Scottish pop group Wet Wet Wet
- Appeared in Sir Tim Rice's concert revival of his hit musical Chess in Concert
- Played leading role in the musical Chicago
- Plays the leading role in a revival of the musical The Witches of Eastwick
- Dreams of playing a James Bond villain
Scottish celebrity chef, born November 8, 1966 in Johnstone.
- Known for presenting TV programmes about competitive cookery and food, such as Hell's Kitchen
- Played semi professional for the Scottish football club Glasgow Rangers
- Has been criticized for his frequent use of profanity on his programmes
- Above average height, standing at 6 feet 2.5 inches (189.2 cm)
- Fulfilled his aim of finishing 10 marathons in 10 years by running his 10th consecutive London Marathon in 2009, sponsoring the Scottish Spina Bifida Association
- World's worst and best lovers
A poll of 15,000 globe-trotting females found that English lovers came second because they are so lazy, while men from Sweden were branded 'too quick to finish'.
- BBC News - Scots 'drink 46 bottles of vodka'
Adults in Scotland are drinking the equivalent of 46 bottles of vodka each in a year, a new study suggests.
More by this Author
In people, kissing to express affection is almost universal. About 90 percent of human cultures do it. Why is kissing important ? How to improve a lousy kisser ? And have you ever thought of how many kinds of kisses...
"Probably no nationality has come in for so consistent a torrent of verbal abuse from the English as their neighbors across the channel : the Dutch..." (from "I Hear America Talking" by Stuart Berg...
Most of you guys don't realize that when you kiss a woman for the first time, she decides right then and there if she ever wants to kiss you again. Or have sex with you at all. Did that sink in ?