Wisconsin Dells Vacation-Our Yearly Destination
It's that time of year! Our summer vacation in The Wisconsin Dells! It's an open invitation to family and friends. Although the numbers have changed from year to year we usually have about twenty people that gather and it is always the best of times.
Over the years we have stayed at quite a few different resorts. We started out at The Monte Carlo and spent many a good time there until it was razed to make way for the huge condominium resort "Wilderness on The Lake". The end of an era for us.
So, we shopped around for a place that would suit our needs. We like to lodge close together, bring a bunch of food, cook and have communal meals outside our rooms. Not easy to find. Once found it's not always easy to be welcomed back because we also like music and get a little boisterous.
The Sunset Bay Resort, Wisconsin Dells
Six years ago we found the perfect spot at The Sunset Bay Resort on Lake Delton. We would always reserve a block of rooms because we had a few families attend and we liked to be close to one another for our big homemade dinners which included everything from appetizers to desserts. We would spread our feast on picnic tables complete with tablecloths and candles!!
Over the years the numbers of those attending has dwindled but my sister and I have stayed steadfast in our quest for the Dells. We booked late last year and the only room left was a two family suite that we would share. We weren't sure how that would work out but it was so wonderful that we decided to do it again this year.
- We spend hours at the large and really inviting outdoor pool a short distance from our suite
- The beach offers volleyball and pingpong.
- You can fish off the pier or rent a pontoon boat.
- The indoor pool, hot tub and sauna is a short walk away.
- For those with younger children they have a fenced in kiddie wading area close by.
- At night you can sit and relax at their large firepit.
- Over the years they have added an arcade and snack bar and made lots of renovations that cater to large families and group gatherings.
A major highlight of this trip is our "family" dinners. We push the picnic tables together and fire up the grills for anything we can't cook or heat up on the stovetop.
We all do most of the preparation at home (who wants to spend their vacation in the kitchen!?) and pack it all in coolers for the road trip to The Dells. People bring their favorite dishes to share. Each evening we have a magnificant feast...everything from appetizers to desserts!
Nightlife in The Dells!
After dinner if we want to head into town we pile into one or two "taxi" vans for $3.00 per person (well worth the price). Our driver even gave us his card to call him when we were ready to come home and he was there in 20 minutes! If you like karaoke, live bands and dancing visit some of our favorite spots!
Wisconsin Dells Attractions
There is so much to do in The Dells day or night. There are lots of tourist attractions!
- Wisconsin Ducks (once in a lifetime was good enough for me:),
- Mount Olympus
- tons of shopping and eating. I suggest Monk's They now have two Monk's! There is a new and much larger one on Rt 12, as you are coming into town. The original Monk's downtown is smaller and more crowded. If you go in with a few people it is hard to get seated together, but the atmosphere is great. Great burgers!
- The River Walk is a nice place to have lunch or dinner...right down the street from Nig's. They can accomodate large groups of people and they have the option of outdoor dining.
Enjoy the Wisconsin River at Holiday Shores!
If you love being on the water go to Holiday Shores! We rent 24 foot Pontoon Boats ($135.00 for 4 hours and it seats 10 people). You can cruise the Upper Dells (the Wisconsin River) and stop at the many beaches to relax and swim and, if you're feeling adventuresome, maybe do some cliff diving.
You can also rent boats on the Lower Dells and cruise Lake Delton. Tommy Bartlett's water show can be viewed from behind!
The Wisconsin Dells is a great place to visit and The Sunsetbay Resort is a great place to stay. It has been perfect for us. We can bring our food, enjoy great meals together, relax at the pools, hang out at the beach and enjoy a vacation atmosphere that does not entail all the costs of staying in a room and eating all your meals out. We can go into town or stay "home" . The resort was booked but never felt crowded. And, if you want to go to a waterpark, your stay includes FREE Kalahari Theme Park Passes!
More by this Author
Painting the exterior of a two story house can be quite a daunting project. We rented a boom lift for the upper story. It was the best way to get at the high peaks and those areas where it would be difficult to...
My sister gave me a gorgeous potted tuberous Begonia that thrived and bloomed all summer. My goal is to keep this "annual" flower safely stored for the Winter and restart it in the Spring.
Does a rubber oil pan drain plug work. Not really. The self threading piggy back oil pan drain plug cold welded in place is the answer!