York - Places to Visit
Walk Tour in The City of York - Culture and Tourist Spots
The walk tour in the city center took us about few hours. The pictures on this hub will lead you to a fantastic experience seeing the narrow streets with the old English buildings, the city walls, pictures of restaurants, trail of ghost pubs, some food specialities.
A one day tour will include the Museums, The Railway Station, The Holgatewindmill.
- York Minster
- City Walls
- Clifford's Tower
- Ghost Pubs
- The Railway Station
One can taste the different York's native special dishes, dessert specialities like the sticky warm toffee pudding with vanille ice cream. The fudge caramel of different flavor, fruit, nuts ingredients. Chocolates and chocolate drinks.
- Is situated in the city center, is the second largest Gothic cathedral in northern Europe.
Picture Gallery of York MinsterClick thumbnail to view full-size
Medieval City Walls
- City Walls - entire boundary of the city is about five kilometers long, including a portion on which never a wall stand.
Picture Gallery of The York City WallsClick thumbnail to view full-size
- The Tower was built on a moth keep of York Castle. A massacre took place in 1190 when the small Jewish community Yorks had sought shelter on the day of Passover in the tower, before an angry mob. Many Jews took their own lives before penetration of the enemy. The event is considered the most notorious example of antisemitism in England in the Middle Ages.
Picture Gallery of Clifford's TowerClick thumbnail to view full-size
- The windmill - is from 1770, was functionally restored from 2003 to 2012. the last windmill of the city and one of the two remaining in Yorkshire. The tower windmill resembles the Windmills in Lincolnshire, provided with a slim but "waisted" (one time), conical tower with black bitumen paint, white onion cap with great wind rose and five-fold wing cross. In June 2012, she was introduced to the public.
- All floors of the windmill can be access by fixed ladders with handrails.
- The mill produces stoneground wholemeal flour for sale. Visit the windmill shop for some souvenirs.
Picture Gallery of The HolgatewindmillClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Is one of the Snickelways dating from the late middle ages made York very special as tourist attraction. These are narrow streets, most of which come from the former market places of the city. Shambles is preserved in its medieval appearance street with small shops. The houses have partially overhanging first floors and attics. This is also the reason why on some postcards by "Dark Streets of York" ( "dark streets of York") is spoken, because a sunbeam almost never hit the road because of the overhanging first floor constructions. These constructions arised because tax are calculated according to the built surface area. Originally it was the street where the butchers had their shops. Today the Shambles is a tourist area with cafes, restaurants and shops.
Picture Gallery of The ShamblesClick thumbnail to view full-size
- The city is home to many museums, the Castle Museum, the Yorkshire Museum with the Museum Gardens, Jorvik Viking Centre, an art gallery, a museum of Richard III., Merchant Adventurers' Hall, the archaeological ring Yorks belonging House Barley Hall, the home club belonging Fairfax house and the National Trust owned treasurer house.
Yorkshire Museum and The Ruins of St Mary's Abbey in York Museum GardensClick thumbnail to view full-size
York Art GalleryClick thumbnail to view full-size
The National Railway Museum
- The museum is located directly at the station, illuminated the history of the railway in the UK. It houses the largest collection of locomotives in the world. Underneath, including the locomotive Mallard of LNER Class A4 which aufstellte the record as the fastest steam locomotive in the world, and the locomotive Flying Scotsman of LNER Class A3, which overcame the first 100-mph limit (161 km / h) .
York's Haunted Pubs, Restaurants, Corners, Shows, Haunting Events
York is the most haunted city in England. There are lots of ghost stories in every corner of York. Some are still showing up in different pubs and areas of York.
Look over these ghost trail list:
- 18-20 Stonegate (currently Jack Wills)
- 41 Stonegate
- 5 College Street
- A64 Malton Road
- All Saint's Church, Pathment
- Area of Bishopthorpe
- Bedern Arch
- Black Swan Inn
- Castlegate House (or Lodge)
- Church of the Holy Trinity, Micklegate
- Church Street & Davygate area
- Clifford Tower
- Clifton Lodge
- Cock and Bottle Inn, Skeldergate
- Coppergate shops, those built on site of old Craven's Sweet factory (includes the Bodyshop)
- Dance school attached to St Mary's Church, Bishop Hill Junior
- Dean Court Hotel, Duncombe Place
- Edge of the river Ouse
- First Hussar public house, North Street
- Five Lions public house
- Fordington Lodge, outside of the city
- Former toy shop just inside Roman Gate
- Foss Bridge
- Four All's public house, A64
- Holy Trinity Church, Goodramgate
- Imphal Barracks, Fulford
- Judge's Court, off Coney Street
- Mad Alice Lane (now Lund's Court)
- Micklegate Bar Museum
- Middlethrope Hall
- Milthorpe School
- National Railway Museum
- Netherby Hall
- Old White Swan Inn, Goodramgate
- Petergate Bar area
- Principal's House and the King's Manor, Exhibition Square
- Punchbowl public house, Micklegate Bar
- Road outside York Minster
- Roman Bath public house, St. Sampson’s Square
- Side roads and snickleways in city
- Snickleway Inn, Goodramgate (was the Angler's Arms public house)
- Spen Lane
- St Crux and King's Square area
- St Crux church (the remains of which now form the chapel in the Shambles)
- York - St George's Field
- St Mary's Abbey, currently in the Museum Garden
- St Mary's Church
- St Mary's Hospital
- St Peter's School
- St. Saviours church
- Tempest Anderson Hall, found in the Museum Gardens
- The Golden Fleece public house, Pavement Street
- The Olde Starr Inn, Stonegate
- Theatre Royal, St. Leonard's Place
- Treasurer's House, Minster Yard
- Yorkshire Museum Library
- York Minster
- York Arms public house, High Petergate
- There are also lots of ghost shows and one can participate in haunting paranatural events.
Below are my pictures of some haunted pubs and areas. Please refer to this site for the other sights ghost stories: http://www.haunted-yorkshire.co.uk/yorksightings.htm
The Bootham Bar
The Bootham Bar gate is located in the north entrance. It is one of the four main entrances to the Roman fortress. It is built in the 11th century. The two upper stories were added in the 14th century and late 19th century.
It is known for a contemporary ghost of a man in modern poloshirt and shorts.
The Golden Fleece Pub
The Golden Fleece Pub is one of the most haunted pub in York. Built in 1503.
The rear yard is named after Lady Alice Peckett . Her husband John, owned the premises and was a Lord Mayor of York in 1702.
One of the five resident ghost is the late Lady Peckett wandering the endless corridors and staircases in the wee, makes ghostly apparitions and moving furniture.
For more informations about some other ghost, please visit the website: http://www.thegoldenfleeceyork.co.uk/poetry-and-prose.html
The Old White Swan - Traditional Pub and Restaurant
The Old White Swan
The Old White Swan has a colourful history that dates from the 16th Century. It is one of York's oldest and haunted pubs. Buildings at the rear of the courtyard date to medieval times and in 1781, the world's tallest man, Mr O'Brian, was exhibited here at the pub. O'Brian stood 8 feet tall and the landlord charged the audience a shilling.
A group of phantom figures have been observed standing in an open fire laughing together.
GhostShows, Horror Shows, Paranatural Events (Private Group Participation)Click thumbnail to view full-size
Food Specialities, Fudge, ChocolateClick thumbnail to view full-size
Visit York, England
Do you want to visit York?See results without voting
More Pictures of YorkClick thumbnail to view full-size
York, England Video
More by this Author
Famous works of Antoni Gaudi, a great Catalonian artist. Some of his architectural works are listed in UNESCO World Heritage which are great creative contributions to the architectural development and building...
Lving in Switzerland. Know more about this little land also known as the little Paradise. A tour guide on what to see in Switzerland. Discover unique and beautiful places. Places you must see in the land of alps and...
Discover Cebu, one of the best travel destinations. Tips where to go in Cebu and places to visit, Shopping Paradise.
No comments yet.