A Comprehensive Travel Guide to Mumbai City
Though you can find countless blogs, travel sites, and picture galleries on the Internet covering Mumbai City but today I will share with you a comprehensive travel guide for visiting Mumbai city especially places to visit, other recommended things to do, accommodation, eating out/food guides, entertainment/recreation, and shopping in Mumbai City. Check them first to find out what interests you. Make a list of places you feel like visiting. Make another list of (other recommended things to do) places. This can help you schedule your time more appropriately while visiting Mumbai and you will cover the best of Mumbai as you have seen in Bollywood movies.
Places to Visit in Mumbai:
- Sea face at marine lines.
- Check out the famous beaches of Juhu and Chowpatty.
- If you are looking for a clean beach, move down the Western line towards Arnala, Manori and Gorai.
- Get onto a fairy from Bhaucha Dhakka and travel to Alibag. It is awesome out there.
- Dhobi Ghat might interest some: Check Dhobi Ghat Travel.
- Visit marine lines, Gateway, Mahalaxmi temple, Hajji Ali Mosque, ISKCON temple at Juhu, SiddhiVinayak temple, CST Station, etc.
Other Recommended Things to do in Mumbai:
- Travel in a local train in Mumbai but avoid peak time travel. Get familiarize with your route before you travel. Purchase genuine tickets. Board in “general” compartment. Stand near the door to enjoy the ride.
- If you get a chance, take a train ride from Mankhurd to Belapur. Check the railway stations, urban development, Sea, and nature on your way.
- Respect the people around you and be friendly even with the panwala and they will return in the same fashion.
- Make extensive use of the great public transportation service: Auto Rickshaws, BEST, TMT, NMMT, Taxis, Mumbai Cool Cabs, etc.
- Take care of your wallet, purse, loose bags, ornaments or anything expensive you are carrying with you, including your loved ones. Mumbai is a very crowded city and the chances of getting lost are very high.
- For a comprehensive list of Mumbai transportation, check out Modes of Transport in Mumbai
Shopping in Mumbai:
- Heera Panna, Big Bazaar, Fashion Street, Cross Roads, etc. are some popular places for fashion shopping in Mumbai.
- You can shop for electronics, laptops, and latest gadgets at Lamington Road, Mumbai.
- Chor Bazaar is famous for antiques, vintage stuff like cameras, etc. You can stop by Chor bazaar for all this stuff: Check out Shopping for Vintage Camera in Mumbai for more info on this.
- Anything and everything in gold and diamond jewelry can be bought at Zaveri Bazar.
- Crawford Market is popular in Mumbai for buying meat and fish and flowers and fruits.
- If you are mall crazy, check the R-Mall in Mulund. Also you can check out Asiatic Mall in Mumbai and see what things you can buy here. Here is a review: Asiatic Mumbai Review on Mouthshut.
- Here is a list of all the malls in Mumbai City: Mumbai Malls List.
- Planet M is the largest music store in Mumbai so be sure to check it out if you love music.
- If you are shopping at Fashion Street or Fort area, bargain as much as you can. (Start with 40% of the originally quoted price)
- Another big store you will fall in love with is Shopper’s Stop in Malad West, Mumbai: Check Shopper's Stop Mumbai.
Eating Out in Mumbai - Mumbai Food Guide:
- First of all, love the flies and eat the roadside junk food like Pani puri, bhel, Ragda Pattis,Vada Pav, Samosa, and the list goes on.
- Other cuisines you must try are Pav Bhaji, Konkani/Malvani Fish, Masala Papad, Dosa, and Uttapam,
- Drink Cutting Chai. It tastes better then the best teas in any of the 5 star hotels in Mumbai.
- You will find Aarey lassi in many places. Do not hesitate to try this drink. It is one of the healthiest thirst quenchers in Mumbai. Other thirst quenchers are Nimbu Pani or Sweet lime water, Sharbat, Baraf Ka Gola, Jal Jeera, Fresh Sugar Cane juice, Fresh Fruit Juice and last but not the least, Fresh Coconut Water.
- Eat Bade Miyan Kebabs in Mumbai. Watch a video to grab them right behind the Taj.
- If you love McDonald’s, locate a Mc-D in Mumbai.
- Cafe Coffee Day and Barista are some top coffee chains in Mumbai. Here are some Cafe Coffee Day Outlets in Mumbai.
- Here is a website that can help you find a restaurant of your choice in Mumbai.
- Also check out Italian Food in Mumbai.
Recreation and Entertainment in Mumbai:
- If you feel like bowling, then find bowling alleys in Mumbai.
- Some good Theme parks are Water Kingdom, Essel World, Suraj Water Park, Tikuji Ni Wadi.
- Now check popular discotheques and pubs in Mumbai for enjoying nightlife in Mumbai via Mumbai Pubs and Discotheques. Fire n Ice, ATHENA and Velocity are some of the happening places in the town.
- Also check out List of Best Art Galleries in Mumbai.
- For live entertainment, go to Topaz Dance Bar but remember to get in with a fat wallet. Understand dance bar code of conduct before you enter in one.
- Watch a movie in Cinemax, Mumbai. Highly recommended.
Don’ts in Mumbai:
- Do not go to shady places (Grant Road and Ghatkopar) in search of cheap entertainment.
- Do not expect a great International Airport.
- Do not trust extremely friendly and helpful strangers
- Do not get into argument with a cop.
- Beware of cops if you are romancing in public place.
- Check for photography signs at all popular buildings or be ready to be fined by a cop.
Once you make a list of places to visit, locate them on the Maps of India. This site also has a distance calculator in the Utilities section. Press Control F on your laptop/desktop and write “distance” when you are on this Mumbai Maps and you will find the distance between all places. Don’t expect travel to be fast in Mumbai if you are traveling by road as there are traffic jams on various places during peak hours, so plan your time and visit accordingly. This was a comprehensive travel guide to Mumbai City and it will help you get started and enjoying your travel in Mumbai. Now dress up in "Aamchi Mumbai style" and rock the Mumbai City.
More by this Author
Chilling winter or hot summer, Manali has long remained one of the most adorable hill stations in India. Manali is not like Shimla, it is not like Mussoorie or Nainital. It is different. Let us find.
There are hundreds of nightclubs, resto bars, dance bars, night bars, and lounges in Delhi that are used as college hangouts but when it comes to spending your money and enjoying the whole night dancing and making fun...
If you want to experience ultimate thrill, adventure, and a day full of excitement and fun, then Adventure Island, Rohini, is the best place in Delhi.