Theeyeballkid profile image 87

Surviving a plane crash: Stay in the brace position or jump and take your chances with the freefall?

I have often wondered about the advice given to passengers to assume the brace or crouch position in the event of an air emergency. It seems to me that the brace position would be one of the worst positions to get into during an emergency landing as you would seriously increase the chances of instant death or at least breaking your back at impact. Personally I think you would improve your chances of survival by surrounding yourself with anything soft (cushions or pillows ideally). Jumping may also be a better option if you could do so far enough away from the engine. Any thoughts?

• Theeyeballkid profile image

Theeyeballkid 4 years ago

Thanks for the great answer, you make many logical points. I guess if you were in a plane going down it would be too late to do any of those things I suggest.