Billie Kelpin profile image 89

Are you an "open water" or a harbor person?

I am so glad we moved from MN to CA because I get to see the Pacific Ocean so often. I think growing up in Milwaukee near Lake Michigan made me love being around a big body of water. However, I've noticed I gravitate to the harbors instead of more rugged shorelines. I love the elegant sailboats docked there, the pelicans and seagulls, the smell of the water, the shops and restaurants and activity. Others gravitate to the rougher coast line. I'm wondering if there's a certain kind of person who is drawn to one or the other. What draws you and how does that correspond to your personality?

Lisa HW profile image82

Lisa HW says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Absolutely Beautiful. This should become a poem! It encompasses so many feelings that people are expressing here. "These things are...either things that I like about or what I hope I am or...can be." Lovely, lovely, lovely !

CZCZCZ profile image85

CZCZCZ says

• BlossomSB profile image

Bronwen Scott-Branagan (BlossomSB) 3 years ago

That's true for me. I love the water and the way the world is seen from a different perspective when we are out in a boat. Both bay and ocean can be dangerous in storms, but they still have beauty in that situation.

connorj profile image80

John Connor (connorj) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

LOVE it! Beautiful! What a wonderful legacy they left you. Fascinating experiences. I think all ocean people must be poets!!!

rontlog profile image88

rontlog says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

I am absolutely astounded by these comments! Your comments are extremely touching. I love the description of where you live - the view of the marina and yet the view of the "wild and dramatic" changing waters. Does this relate to your personality?

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Peach, even though I can swim, I've never REALLY have done it in the ocean. I'm going to give it whirl though. The harbor is my draw too. (My mother took swimming lessons at 35 and was so proud of herself. 'll never forget going with her to the "Y")

Mihaela-2012 profile image79

Mihaela Raileanu (Mihaela-2012) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Mihaela - Ahhh... "a forever love..." I LOVE that phrase. So you have an ecclectic interest in all aspects of the water. Does that reflect who you are. Maybe all writers are water people ? Thank you so much for your comments.

sunilkunnoth2012 profile image74

Sunil Kumar Kunnoth (sunilkunnoth2012) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Thank you, "Suni." You echo so many of these comments that talk about the love of both. I love the suggestion to "visti all kinds of water platforms". I was going to do a "harbor" tour of America when we can retire, but I'm rethinking that now.

kashmir-ladakh profile image59

kashmir-ladakh says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

"I'd rather be "IN THE OCEAN". Wonderful. Can you tell me about your personality related to that? Your answers is one of the few that shows a definite preference. I'm fascinated.

Kevina Oyatedor profile image40

kevina oyatedor says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Again, this is very good. I'm fascinated with the concept and want to research the correlation between love of the harbor and personality. I want to write an essay like my "Sequin People", where I make broad generalizations, but maybe a point too.