Interesting Facts About Cities
Wealth and Poverty
- New York City has the most billionaires (70) in the world. London, England has the most multi-millionaires (4224) defined as those worth over $30 million. Tokyo, Japan has the most millionaires (461,000)
- Luanda, Angola is the most expensive city in the world for expatriates but it's one of the poorest cities in the world
- 1 out of every 8 homes in Lawrenceville, Georgia received a foreclosure notice in 2012, making it the city hit hardest by the housing crisis
Big, Busy, High and Low
- The tallest building in the world is in the city of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. The Burj Khalifa has 163 floors
- Hollywood, USA doesn't have the largest film studio in the world. Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad, India comes in at #1. The studio built in 1996 has 47 sound stages
- Tokyo, Japan is the most populated city in the world with 38 million people
- Ordos City in China is the world's largest ghost city. It was built to house a million people but only has 28,000 residents
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport had more than 94 million passengers in 2013 making it the world's busiest airport. Beijing Capital International Airport was 2nd with 84 million and London Heathrow was 3rd with 72 million
- La Rinconada in the Peruvian Andes is the highest city in the world at 5100 meters above sea level
- Jericho, which is 250 meters below sea level, is the lowest city.
Pyongyang Traffic Girl
- In London 3,389 people died due to traffic pollution in the year 2010 and 41,404 "life years" were lost
- Los Angeles, California has the worst traffic in the United States. Drivers spend 64 additional hours behind the wheel than would be necessary if traffic moved smoothly
- Brussels, Belgium has the worst traffic in the world. Antwerp, Belgium has the second worst. Los Angeles comes in third.
- Pyongyang in North Korea uses traffic girls in place of traffic lights. They direct traffic using robotic movements. They're only allowed to turn counter-clockwise
- Based on the number of people convicted of federal public corruption crimes, Chicago is the most corrupt city in the United States
- Detroit, Michigan has the highest crime rate in the United States with 2,137 crimes per 100,000 residents
- Tokyo, Japan is said to be the safest city in the world for travellers. Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic is the most dangerous
- Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean has the highest murder rate in the world. Caracas in Venezuela, Guatemala City, Belize City, and Tegucigalpa in Honduras round out the top 5
Weather and Climate
- Due to climate change and rising sea levels, several US cities may disappear over the next hundred years including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida, Boston in Massachusetts, New York City, Atlantic City in New Jersey and Honolulu, Hawaii. Coastline areas in Los Angeles like Long Beach, Venice and Santa Monica are also at risk
- Chicago, Illinois the so-called Windy City isn't the windiest city in the United States. That honor goes to Amarillo, Texas, which has an average wind speed of 13.6 mph. Chicago doesn't even rank in the top 10
- Yakutsk in Russia is thought to be the coldest city in the world with temperatures of -45C (-49F)
- The Vatican City is the smallest country in the world. The city-state Monaco is the 2nd smallest
- On March 14th 2012, St. Asaph in the UK was awarded city status as part of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. The city has approximately 3,500 residents making it one of the smallest cities in the world
Happy and Sad
- Copenhagen, Denmark is said to be the happiest city in the world
- San Luis Obispo, California is said to be the happiest city in the United States
- It's a myth that Seattle, Washington has America's highest suicide rate. It doesn't even rank in the top 10. Las Vegas in Nevada has the nation's highest suicide rate. Colorado Springs in Colorado, Tucson in Arizona, Sacramento in California, and Albuquerque in New Mexico round out the top 5.
Proving that truth can indeed be stranger than fiction, Fordlandia is the story of Henry Ford's ill-advised attempt to transform raw Brazilian rainforest into homespun slices of Americana
- A city-state is "an autonomous state consisting of a city and surrounding territory." Many early cities were city-states
- The world's ten oldest cities are Jericho in the Palestinian Territories, Byblos in Lebanon, Aleppo in Syria, Damascus in Syria, Susa in Iran, Faiyum in Egypt, Plovdiv in Bulgaria, Gaziantep in Turkey, Beirut in Lebanon. Jericho was first settled around 9000 BC
- Some famous lost cities are Carthage, Mesa Verde, Troy, Memphis, Machu Picchu, Persepolis, Babylon, Petra, Mohenjo-daro, Palmyra, Chan Chan, Palenque, Hvalsey, Pompeii and Angkor
- In 1853 the New York State Legislature set aside 750 acres of land on Manhattan Island to create America's first major landscaped public park. It became known as Central Park.
- For 2014, London, England is the most visited city in the world followed by Bangkok, Thailand
- Lombard Street in San Francisco is famous for it's 8 zig-zag turns
- Walt Disney theme parks are located in the following cities: Anaheim California, Orlando Florida, Tokyo Japan, Paris France, Hong Kong and opening soon Shanghai China
More by this Author
Rapper Pitbull has managed to have a very successful career despite criticism that he isn't talented. So, how has he managed to have a decade long career?
This is a list of airlines that fly from Los Angeles LAX to Dublin with no more than one stopover. Offers some advice on what to expect when choosing airlines that fly from Los Angeles to Dublin, Ireland.
Google Play Music All Access and Spotify Premium offer on demand access to millions of songs for a monthly fee. This is an overview of their features and who I think is better