jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Travel to Santorini, Greece

1. debbiepinkston profile image85
    debbiepinkstonposted 3 years ago

What is the most inexpensive want to travel from Europe (Madrid, Paris or London) to Santorini, Greece?  Is it necessary to fly first to Athens?

1. sandrabusby profile image84
      sandrabusbyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think you can take the train from either city and cross at Brindisi, but it's been a long time since I did that, and I have no idea about the prices.  I was much younger and we booked a reclining chair and slept on the deck!!!  You will probably want something more conventional.  Bon Voyage.

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Take a train to Athens and then a ferry to Santorini. If you fly, you can go to Crete, first, and then a ferry to Santorini.

I found Santorini to be too much of a tourist trap and preferred some of the other islands. Ios was my favorite because everyone there was just having a good time.

1. debbiepinkston profile image85
        debbiepinkstonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions! I was wondering if Santorini has now become more "touristy" and we might prefer another island.  Is Ios quaint and full of Greek culture?

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
          A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not really. If you're looking for that, the mainland is much better. Most of the Cyclades are overrun with tourists, however Santorini would be the better choice for Greek culture out of all the them.

Personally, I would choose the Ionians for getting a glimpse into non-mainland Greek culture due in part to their tumultuous history.

Of course, all the Greek islands pretty much have to rely on tourism. The significant factor will always be, what part or type of Greek culture are you most interested in seeing and how much do you want to avoid those islands that are indeed tourist traps?

Don't get me wrong, Santorini is absolutely beautiful, from one side it's stunning cliffs to the other side of rolling green pastures all the way down to it's black sand beaches.

2. 2uesday profile image90
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

I have flown to Santorini direct from a London airport but that was in the summer on a package holiday with a tour company.

Ia or Oia is interesting place to go to, as it is one of the most photographed locations,with white houses set on cliff edge. It also has magnificent views across the Caldera to watch the sunset which are very colorful. You can also visit the volcanic island set in the Caldera in the summer by taking a day boat trip. There are many cruise ships that visit this island.

Some of the resorts are 'nicer' than others is what we have discovered about the Greek islands. When visiting Greek island it is a good idea to do research to discover the best locations to visit and the ones to avoid unless you are on a teen-to-twenty-something resort holiday.