Moving to the Philippines in 2-3 years

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 11 years ago

Well, my mother announced that I and her are moving to the Philippines in 2-3 years. I have read a lot about negative things about it and laughed it off because I currently do a network marketing business. Even if we reach top positions, we will move there.

I am not really that thrilled about the idea, but I do acknowledge and appreciate my mother's ambitions. Besides, she's a native of the country! And I'm trying hard to overcome scolidentosaurophobia, the fear of lizards, because I'm expecting truckloads of them (over there we call them butiki), so 2-3 years is plenty of time to do it.

Please share the pros and cons, as well as stories of moving to the PI from the USA, where I was born. It can be a "I love it there" or horror story! I'm pretty appreciative of them all!

1. jill of alltrades profile image66
      jill of alltradesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dear talfonso,

I must start by saying that I am Filipino and am from the Philippines. So I love it here and am proud to be a Filipino. So I am not going to convince you about the beauty of the Philippines because I have written about it in several of my hubs here. However, all I can say is this - "home is where the heart is." 

I truly believe in that saying because whether you live in the most luxurious condition or the most miserable condition, if your heart is not there, then you will always hate it there.

I sincerely suggest that you keep an open mind to all possibilities if you are willing to move at all. If you are not willing however, then that is another story.

And by the way, you do not have to be afraid of "butiki" as you mentioned.  "And I'm trying hard to overcome scolidentosaurophobia, the fear of lizards, because I'm expecting truckloads of them (over there we call them butiki),..." I have never encountered them in truckloads! Not even in the country side and more so in the city!!! The most I have encountered, if ever, is just one or two!!! smile

God bless!

talfonsoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips and experiences. I'm getting over the aforementioned scoliodentosaurophobia. In fact, I'm actually allaying it!

2. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Presumably, if you are able to write on HP, you are a legal adult.

In that case, if you do not like the idea of moving elsewhere, surely the simplest thing to do is refuse to go.

I would never even think to impose my choice of place of residence on my adult daughters!

Impose you choice of residence on your kids? Well, my mother isn't forcing me to do so - she's just having me give a shot at staying at the PI for some time. She's enticed by how cheap and high-caliber the cost of living is. She said that I can always come back to the States if I want to.

But I decided to live in the States alone. It gave me incentive enough to drive (knowing this really allays my longtime fear of driving even more and I feel more confident about it).

And keep in mind that I'm a network marketer and am looking for a day job on the side. So I'll be more than likely to pay rent, go to a driving school, pay the taxes, and buy all other basic needs while living below my means. And I'll pay her a visit a few weeks to few months a year.

Thanks for the advice!

3. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Hahaha....You don´t have to be afraid of those truckloads of lizards. I have only seen a few on the ceiling of our house and besides that, they are harmless but useful because they eat insects. You don´t have to live in the Philippines if you don´t like it. I´m sure you are of legal age and can stay by your own. Why not try a few months there to be sure of yourself.

I´m a born Filipina but have live in Germany for more than 30 years. That´s 10+ years more than living in my home country. I can´t decide to live in one country, so I have made it half there and half here. That´s the option I have made for myself.

Don´t worry too much about the move. Time will tell;-) Take care.

Half there and half here? Sounds like a great idea!

1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
        Thelma Albertsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is a great idea. Be in the Philippines during winter time in Germany and living in Germany when it´s no longer so cold for me. That would be summer time there.

4. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 11 years ago

I am originally from Nigeria, and my kids were born here in the USA. I too have a fear of lizards as some of you have read in my hub on my visit to the Cayman Island. They are everywhere in Nigeria and it's been just traumatic for me just thinking of it every time I go back home to see my parents and siblings.

And though I do long for home and have visited several times, I do not see the need to move back, unless my husband decides it's time. Though my kids have lived in Nigeria briefly during their time in boarding school, I would not force them to go live in Nigeria permanently unless they choose to. They do visit with us, and are already asking when next they'll get to go and visit with their grandparents again.

You are obviously an adult and I don't believe you have to go to the Philippines if you don't want to. Let your mom know how you feel, but reassure her that you'll do your best to visit often. And yes, do keep that promise. smile

Thanks for the sound, sound advice. I have to mention that I'm autistic, and I am far away from top position (again, I do network marketing and do hope that I'll secure a job to supplement it).

I decided to just visit because not only I want to see my mother, but I am and always will be careful with money in order to live here in the States where I am born. (It's the land of the "fee" and the home of the tax, after all.)

Her announcement of moving to the Philippines gave me another option. I used to be apprehensive with driving because it's an overwhelming task. But her announcement gave me an incentive to learn how to do it after all. Since I'm a network marketer and will be doing a day job at the side, I'm likely to pay for the car, the rent, and so on by myself. Maybe I'll look into a residential program for autistic adults and pay it with own money.

It doesn't mean I distrust my mother when I am going to remain in the States for as long as I live. I now think of myself as a high functioning autistic who is independent and have the incentive to visit the PI for 3 weeks up to 3 months a year. That's especially during Christmas, a big deal in that nation. Maybe between September and early January, because I'm so used to Christmas Creep and my mother's birthday falls between those months.

5. MountainManJake profile image67
    MountainManJakeposted 11 years ago

I am moving to Thailand in 2-3 years.  I am going to teach English and make passive income through writing and design.  I just don't see why I would live a low life on the budget I have now if I can live like a king on the other side of the world with new culture for the same budget.  Go for it.  Make your great escape.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Im coming with you. Thai food is my favorite.

6. Jeanne Louise profile image60
    Jeanne Louiseposted 11 years ago

I moved to the Philippines from Switzerland, so I understand what you're going through.

The major change I had to deal with was the weather. The Philippines is extremely hot, so you have to invest in good air conditioning for your home. If you don't, it can get really uncomfortable.

The people are amazing. Sure, the Philippines has its share of a**holes and jerks, but what country doesn't? I know everyone has heard stories of foreigners getting taken advantage of by locals (cab drivers ripping you off, your wallet getting snatched, etc.), and yes, that does happen. But it's not a fair description of what Filipinos are like. Filipinos are very warm and inviting. You will have no trouble making friends. And good ones, at that.

The food is great. I've traveled all over the world, and I can honestly say that the Philippines has some of the best food I've ever eaten. My favorites are: kare-kare, adobo, and sisig. But Filipinos eat some crazy stuff too, like fermented duck embryos and congealed cow's blood.

Overall, moving to the Philippines has been a wonderful experience. In fact, I consider the Philippines my home now, even though I was born and raised in Switzerland.

I hope you have as great an experience here as I did. Best of luck!

7. jengin profile image58
    jenginposted 11 years ago

I love being Filipino...I like the culture and the people are very hospitable.And there are many places you could travel and enjoy its beaches.You must know the culture of the filipino and you really enjoy
    its tradition and culture of it.

8. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 11 years ago

I revised the decision - I decided to alternate months in the PI and the States. That way I can have the best of both worlds. Again, I'm not too crazy about moving, but I might get used to it.

9. jengin profile image58
    jenginposted 11 years ago

It sounds ok if you alternate the two place...If you feel comfortable with it.Good luck and God bless.

10. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

I'm from the UK, spent a few years working and living in Saudi Arabia where I met my wife (A Filipina) and I am now living in the Philippines where I have been now for almost 3 years..

As a foreigner I find that people here will often try to overcharge me as there is an expectation that we can afford to pay far more than the going rate; but other than that I find my life here wonderful.

I can afford to live here and support my family (I have an 18 month old son) purely on my online earnings and I live well here.

There are problems with poverty and all that comes with it here in the Philippines, so you will get to see some of the seedier sides of life with beggars and prostitutes in many areas. You also need to be careful who you trust with your money as people will cheat you if they think you can afford it.

The people are on the whole friendly and very hospitable; everyone is keen to be helpful regarding just about everything.

In general I love the place and I have every intention of staying here.

As to lizards - in the city I see a few running up the walls and on the ceilings but very few, in the countryside I see far more and even some bigger ones up to a foot long but they will run away from you if you approach them. They really are nothing to worry about.

Driving here however is another thing... if you are not a skilled driver don't try!!!!!

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your time here..

11. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I've been living in the Philippines for nearly 6 years.

I met my wife online and then met her here in Cebu. After she said "yes," I went back to the States to prepare for her to come. In the following weeks, she revealed a desire to stay in the Philippines. "No problem," I said and changed my plans.

Personally, I love it here. And I haven't see much in the way of lizards, except for the ubiquitous gecko. They're kinda cute and small.

It took me a little while to get used to the humidity, but I was already familiar with heat, having lived in Phoenix, Arizona for ten years before moving here.

Perhaps the only thing I don't like is the corruption. I've only witnessed it a few times at the immigration office, but they seem to be cleaning things up. The last time I went, I saw none. But there's corruption in governments across the planet, even in America.

The people are warm and friendly and family is the main thing, here. I love that. I miss my brothers, but I've seen one of them when he and his Filipino wife of 20+ years traveled here for a visit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)