Found my own little personal paradise:

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

a warm, clear bay full of fish; a big shade tree; a comfy chair; a cooler of cold drinks; wonderful Florida sunshine; nice breezes; and a cast net. What’s not to love?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8151286_f248.jpg

1. wayne barrett profile image73
      wayne barrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cleawater here; which is in the Tampa area. Love it!

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Us Westies cannot fathom the sun setting over land. But I hear tell there is both a west coast and an east coast. The pictures are dreamy good.

3. denden mangubat profile image70
      denden mangubatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

wow i like this

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

BTW, the kids found theirs on the other side of the island:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8151309_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8151310_f248.jpg

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

wink

Shh, don't reveal these secret places, enjoy it!

cool

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

Welcome to my neck of the woods................like I have been saying all along.....Florida's got it!...............tongue

1. habee profile image93

We LOVE Florida! Hubby is ready to move to SW FL. I think I'd really enjoy it, but I'd miss the seasons. At least we have a slight change of seasons here in GA.

1. kthix10 profile image77
        kthix10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No Chicago winters for you then?

1. habee profile image93

No thanks!

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know I was born in Detroit, Michigan.  Spend the second half of my childhood in Northern Michigan.  The winters are pretty harsh up there.  But it was living in Chicago for three years that put me over the edge where winter is concerned.  I'm moving to Florida Monday...lol  Give me Chicago in the summer, spring, and fall and I'm all about it - but this winter crap is kicking my ass!

habee, you're gonna spend some time in NE Florida now and again once we're down there, right? 

big_smile

1. habee profile image93

Mo, we can meet up on Amelia Island, which is just north of Jax. We visit there at least once or twice a year - sometimes more.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I felt the same way when we made the final transition to Florida.  I had lived here during part of my elementary years, college years and yearly vacations and loved it, but always thought I would miss the seasons.  I don't.  Depending on how far south you want to go, central, sw central and northern FL do experience slight seasonal changes. My yard has three maple trees that change colors and lose their leaves, but it's closer to Dec./Jan. when you notice a change.  It's really very beautiful.  The leaf colors aren't quite as vivid as New England, but they do change.  Winters are usually mild, but temperatures sometimes drop below freezing, but not for long. Summers are hot, hot, hot, so have a pool and live close to the Gulf!   
        I think what I love most about living here is the beauty of nature.  The flowers, the tropical scents, the birds, cranes flying overhead in the big blue sky, and of course, the beautiful coast line and Gulf of Mexico.  I'm originally from the midwest, so I've experienced the seasons.  No more snowy, cold winters for me.  cool

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!  I think you would enjoy living here.  There is sooo much to discover.

1. habee profile image93

Thanks for describing your experience. I love all the water - the Gulf, the sounds, the bays, the tidal rivers, and the canals. We really enjoy fishing, crabbing, and netting shrimp, so those activities alone would keep us pretty entertained. Swimming, boating, snorkeling, and visiting historic sites would provide even more entertainment.

In the house we rented, there was a 55+ magazine with info about FL retirement communities. I couldn't believe how affordable some of them were, including a couple on a bay or saltwater river that had private marinas. Heck, if we sold our GA home, we could move into one of those places and be able to afford a nice boat! My 3 daughters and their families live near me now, however, and it would be hard to leave them. One, though, says they'll move with us.

It wouldn't be easy for me to leave/sell this house. I'm living in the house I grew up in, and I'm really attached to it. I'm thinking that maybe my middle daughter would like to rent it, which would be a perfect solution. I could live in SW FL and come "home" when a hurricane threatened. BTW, how many tornadoes do you guys get a year, on average?

As for hot summers, I'm used to those. Believe it or not, summers here in South GA are hotter than those in SW FL in areas very close to the Gulf.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Move to the Tampa Bay area instead!  Tampa is known as the land of three seasons. I have lived in this area for more than 40 years and love it more every day!

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now, YOU'RE making me pine for Florida........oh, the majesty of it ALL!  Imagine, summers ALL YEAR round.
      http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8151974_f248.jpg

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Looks like Queensland in Australia

5. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 10 years ago

Okay habee, my friend, my ole pal, send funds and I'll be there asap!  My address is forthcoming...wink

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

Holle, I don't know how many tornadoes we have here on average.  I've lived in this area for 23 years and have never experienced one.  The worst I've directly experienced was last year when slow moving Tropical Storm Debby pounded rain relentlessly in a short period of time and caused rivers to flood.  My street was 3-4 ft. covered with water that had nowhere to go.  The water was about a foot away from my front door.  Kayaks were the only way to get through the streets for a while.  But that is the only time I've experienced a scary, threatening situation.  They've recently finished upgrading massive drainage systems to more quickly move the water off the streets.

Tarpon Springs was recently listed as the fifth best place for boaters to retire in the BoatsUS magazine.  I have an image of the Spring Bayou on my Tarpon hub.  I'm there often as my son lives on the bay, it's absolutely gorgeous and so much fun for anyone who loves water sports, fishing, etc.

It's great to see other hubbers who live in the greater Tampa Bay area.  And welcome Motown to the sunshine state!

Hey, we could have hubber parties!

1. maxoxam41 profile image64
      maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What about the humidity, the mosquitoes, the tropical rain (maybe it's too early for the season), the probability of a tsunami... AHHH...Florida, nothing better.

2. habee profile image93

Thanks for the info. Tarpon Springs is great, but we like the Anna Maria Island/Bradenton/Sarasota area more. We also really like Amelia Island in NE FL and Mexico Beach/St. Joe Beach on the Panhandle. We were disappointed in the beaches near Tarpon Springs/Port Richey, but we did enjoy boating and fishing on the flats and spending time on little islands. Heck, I think I could live in one of the stilt houses!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84

Definitely the best swim beaches are in the panhandle and starting below Tarpon at Honeymoon Island/Caladesi (Dunedin) south.  Tarpon is more about water sports/boating.  Bradenton/Sarasota have beautiful beaches, plus Bradenton is just a fun place to hang out on the beach.  If you've never toured the Ringling Museum of Art and the Ca' d'Zan, it's a nice break from the beaches.
        My favorite beaches in the Tampa Bay area are Caladesi and north Clearwater Beach.  I'm not as familiar with the area south of Sarasota but it is a beautiful part of the state.  Did you drive over the Sunshine Skyway?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3080397_f248.jpg
        Caladesi

1. habee profile image93

No Skyway for me, but my daughter and her family made the drive. I did fish from the Skyway Bridge pier, though. Does that count? lol

My two greatest fears are heights and tornadoes.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8155489_f248.jpg

1. rebekahELLE profile image84

No, the fishing pier doesn't count! big_smile

It is a great experience!  The ascent going south feels like you're driving up into the sky.  It's a beautiful bridge, and the view is amazing.

Yes, I have been to the beach at Anna Maria Island.  It's a great shelling beach and we also would dive under to find the sand dollars.  The water is so clear.  I haven't been there in years, but remember loving the calmness of the beach and no crowds.

7. Petroley profile image60
    Petroleyposted 10 years ago

Looks wonderful. Enjoy big_smile

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

Have you been to the beach on Anna Maria that's on the north end, between the 2 piers? It's wonderful! Clear, calm, shallow water that's perfect for kids. Good place to snorkel, too. We always find sand dollars and starfish. There's shade, too, supplied by some large trees, along with nice restroooms, benches, and picnic tables. I've never seen this beach crowded, either, even when the other AMI beaches are packed.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8155502_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8155505_f248.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)