jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Where have you traveled?

1. Thief12 profile image89
    Thief12posted 3 years ago

I asked a "question" a couple of days ago, but it was removed because it "encouraged a discussion", so I decided to follow the HP recommendation and start one.

What countries or places you have traveled to? Which one was the most significant?

2. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

I've never left the Eastern US, so I'm afraid my adventures are largely dull and unimpressive.

The furthest I've gone is to Orlando, Florida back in 1995, as the family and I went to Disney World for a week. Even to this day, it's the most significant trip I've ever taken.

I've also been to Virginia Beach, Ocean City, and (most recently) Emerald Isle. I'm not a big fan of swimming despite being good at it, but ocean scenery is always calming.

And then I've been to New York City...4 times? Twice with my grandmother (we went to see Chicago and Phantom of the Opera respectively), and twice for school trips (one was Drama class, the other was the Senior Trip; coincidentally, I saw Wicked on both trips).

I went to Baltimore for the Otakon convention twice in 2003 and 2004, and I'd rank those as being the next most significant trips for me below Disney World. To be melodramatic for a moment, they were probably the last times in my life that I've ever been truly happy.

Finally, in 2011, I went to GenCon in Indianapolis, Indiana. It wasn't quite as pivotal as the aforementioned convention trips, but it was still a valuable experience for me.

And now, in three weeks, I head off to Baltimore to attend Otakon for the first time in 9 years. And with a jaw-dropping list of special guests (Crispin Freeman, Vic Mignogna, Yoko Kanno, and Shinichiro Watanabe?!), it promises to be a weekend full of awesome.

And that's literally everywhere I've been in my entire life.

1. Thief12 profile image89
      Thief12posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey, that's more than I've traveled :-D

My first plane trip was when I was 26, so I don't have much mileage. I've traveled to Orlando, Florida three separate times. On one occasion, my best friend who lives in Tampa, picked me up and the next day, we both drove 8 hours to South Carolina to visit his brother. That was a pretty cool experience for an islander of the Caribbean like me, hehehe.

My last trip was with my wife, and we visited Chicago. That was probably the best travel experience I've had. We didn't have much time and it was kinda hectic, trying to make the most of the time, but we enjoyed it a lot.

3. crazyhorsesghost profile image87
    crazyhorsesghostposted 3 years ago

I was really lucky. I'm now retired but I was in the US Navy as a officier for thirty years and so I got to visit many of the worlds countries. Hong Kong before the hand over to China was my favorite.

I would encourage every young man to serve in the military so you will get to see the world.