jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

American culture

1. healinghands1668 profile image86
    healinghands1668posted 2 years ago

Perhaps you have seen a couple of articles that are making the rounds on facebook, regarding tips that travel agencies in other countries give people when they are traveling to the United States in order to help them understand some of our cultural norms. One is from a Japanese perspective, the other is Russian. Curious, I decided to see if there were any more such articles from other cultural perspectives. I did not find any other specific countries, but I did find a few broader articles, and I noticed two things that seemed to come up a lot:

1.) Always be on time, because Americans don't like it when you're late.

2.) Americans smile at everyone.

Anyway, just found it amusing. I always like things like this.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Here is a taste of American culture:

3. nihongotraveler profile image90
    nihongotravelerposted 2 years ago

Honestly, when I think of "American culture" I think of Rednecks and their tractors.

Think about it. People came from all over the world here. In my line, I'm the first born here, yet I was raised with Russian cultural influences.

There any many different cultures in America, yet the only culture that I feel I can truly call "American" is the whole redneck thing in the south. It's the only "culture" that originated here in the States that you won't really find anywhere else.

And to me, that's kind of sad. Amusing too.

1. healinghands1668 profile image86
      healinghands1668posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I disagree. What about Native American cultures?

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Everyplace has a culture--it's can just be invisible to the people who have never been anywhere else.

Thing I noticed--swearing is a bigger deal here, religions is more involved in everything, people rarely wear bright colors, seasonal decorating is everywhere.