Any British writers here on Hubpages? What's your location?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    M L Morganposted 9 years ago

I was wondering if there are many Brits writing on HP and if so, where in this little green island are you located. I'd also love to know if you write for fun or professionally. From a curious wordsmith smile
    Thanks all

1. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm from Glasgow in Scotland but currently living in Italy.

I gave up trying to write professionally on Hubpages because I was hardly making any money for the effort. I then gave up writing for fun because nobody was reading my hubs. (lots of duck eggs every day)

Now I've no idea why I'm writing on Hubpages LOL  probably addicted now :-)

I concentrate on travel hubs because they make a few pennies but they're not as much fun as creative hubs.

1. profile image0
        M L Morganposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Scotland, I am yet to visit there, my dad was born in Hamilton. Do you miss it much? I agree, HP is rather addictive, I seem to be spending any free time reading articles and thinking up ideas for future hubs.

1. Shinkicker profile image54
          Shinkickerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I miss Scotland but not Glasgow, when I get back I hope to live in the Edinburgh area. Glad to see you have a Scottish connection.

2. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 9 years ago

There are quite a lot of Brits here.  I'm from the South Coast.  Until recently I worked full time but I've quit job so I have more time to write. smile

1. profile image0

It must be a bonus living near the coast. I bet it felt wonderful to be able to quit the rat race to focus on writing.

3. NanLT profile image80
    NanLTposted 9 years ago

SE London here. And I write because I enjoy it, and if I can earn a few quid now and again from it, I say go for it. Because of one of my blogs I was recently asked to become a contributing writer for a monthly Pagan ezine. So far that is the closest I have come to actually writing professionally, though I don't know it that counts since I'm not getting paid for it.

1. profile image0

NanLT, I agree. That is an achievement! I also write Pagan related articles but for fun, I've not yet taken the leap into submitting anything Pagan on HP yet. I'll have to have a peak at your work wink Sounds right up my street x

4. SheilaMilne profile image92
    SheilaMilneposted 9 years ago

Yes, I'm another.   I'm writing just because I want to.

5. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

British - but for the last several years have been living overseas; currently in the Philippines...

Earn my full time living writing online......

Just back from the hot volcanic sulphur pools, maybe tomorrow I will go to the beach.......

1. profile image0

LeanMan, oh stop it you show off! You really are living the dream. wink

6. Pollyanna Jones profile image96
    Pollyanna Jonesposted 9 years ago

Hello there! I'm in Worcestershire. I've been studying folklore, mythology, local history, and pre-Christian customs for a few years and a friend suggested I post my musings here. Whilst I write and research for fun, I've been having a marvellous time on HubPages, and have been really surprised by the response my work has had.

1. profile image0

Pollyanna Jones, Aha! A fellow Worcestershire penner smile

1. Pollyanna Jones profile image96
        Pollyanna Jonesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a small world! smile

1. God shet profile image61
          God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

with  H U G E  Surprises! smile

1. profile image0

Indeed!

1. God shet profile image61
              God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

smile

7. profile image0
    reasonablerobbyposted 9 years ago

Hi I live in Nottingham - home of Robin Hood it is also home of William Booth founder of the Salvation army (Gulliver of Gulliver's travels lived near by close to Newark) Nottingham is home to other famous brands and people amongst many others Paul Smith fashion designer and Raleigh cycles. I work in Sheffield some 40 miles north home the British steel industry and I was born in Carlisle in the North West a border town between England and Scotland and capital of the Cumbria home of the lake district.

1. profile image0

Reasonablerobby, I visited the castle in Nottingham about 10 years ago. Robin Hood is a big interest of mine. Love anything related to him. In fact, I'm a huge fan of medieval history and castles, although I'm hopeless at remembering dates and actual facts!

8. profile image0
    John Messinghamposted 9 years ago

Hi, I grew up in London and now live near Glasgow.

I spent most of my working life in the software industry and this year decided it was time for a change. I am using the extra spare time I have while I am looking for new pastures to do some creative writing. Not sure I would be able to make a living from it but it is a lot more fulfilling than spending all day on the job sites.

9. Elderberry Arts profile image93
    Elderberry Artsposted 9 years ago

I am in Surrey (about 1 hour south of London). I am self-employed and my writing is a big part of that.

10. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Hi, I live in a Yorkshire village not far from Huddersfield but was born in north Nottinghamshire. Yes, Robin Hood is a distant relative of mine. I travel a lot - have lived in Australia and Spain, just returned from 6 weeks in south America. Having been a teacher for some years - Drama, EFL - and occasional contributor to magazines and newspapers - Guardian - am now enjoying a bit of free time writing articles, poems and short stories.
    I wish you well in your writing and home educating.

1. profile image0

Chef-de-jour, your life sounds thrilling!  I bet you have loads of adventures you could write about. How on earth do you crack mainstream tabloids? I have a lot to learn. If you ever get really bored, let me in on your secret to success! lol  And thank you, wishing you great success too smile

2. freecampingaussie profile image60
      freecampingaussieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We enjoyed our time at Sherwood Forest ! We have also been to the castle in Carcassone France where part of Robin Hood was filmed !
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11986729_f1024.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11986735_f1024.jpg

1. profile image0

Wow! Love your pics. I am addicted to Robin Hood movies. Although I am rather embarrassed to admit that the Kevin Costner movie is my favourite. There's just something about Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham wink I walked Hadrian's wall as a teenager and visited the tree where Kevin Costner stood with Morgan Freeman. I was rather proud lol.

11. freecampingaussie profile image60
    freecampingaussieposted 9 years ago

I was born in Wales , Went by Ship to NZ when I was 5, Australia by ship when I was 19 and married with 1 daughter. I am in Spain right now with my 2nd husband after exploring UK/Europe by Campervan as well as 3 months in America/Canada + Alaska

1. profile image0

freecampingaussie, Sounds like you have lots of travelling experience. Wow, all that distance travelled by ship! Phew. I would love to read all about your adventures. Love Spain, love the food even more smile

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Living North of Norfolk, UK which is now my home though I was  born in South Africa.  Writing has always been in my plans but somehow I never thought that I would end up writing about a niche subject - namely felting and a few other things besides.  I hope to one day start my novel.

12. freecampingaussie profile image60
    freecampingaussieposted 9 years ago

Be great if you all joined in on the forum Recommend another Hubbers Hub. You check out the last hubber in the forum and choose one of theirs, then someone will check yours out . We need new Hubbers there.

1. profile image0

Sounds good to me. I'll have to have a look. Thanks!

13. brutishspoon profile image66
    brutishspoonposted 9 years ago

I live in the North East of England but spend some time in the North West and Scotland when I can.

I write because I love to and the money is just a nice little extra.

14. BritFlorida profile image70
    BritFloridaposted 9 years ago

I'm from Yorkshire and have lived in Florida for twenty years (hence my user name!)

I write here, on other content sites, for clients and on my own websites - anywhere that pays smile

1. profile image0

I like your style. I guess at some point I ought to think of money, although I don't think my standard of writing will ever be of a professional standard. I can only aspire smile

15. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

I am a writer from the South of England but I was born and raised in the Philippines. I write to earn money and also to help other people. I am not a professional writer yet but maybe someday I might become one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)