jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What are some fun things to do in Southern Oregon/Northern California?

1. cam8510 profile image94
    cam8510posted 18 months ago

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 I'll pull out of Philadelphia and head west.  I will have been in Pennsylvania for 18 months by that time.  I'm a contract healthcare worker and my next job will be in Medford, Oregon.  At this point I'll be there for six months, but it will probably be extended.   I know Crater Lake NP is near Medford, as are the redwoods and the ocean.  I plan on doing a lot of camping, backpacking, lake kayaking and fishing while I'm there.  If you know of specific things to do and places to visit, I'd love to hear about them.

2. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 18 months ago

You will never experience more dramatic ocean  sights ,sounds and sunsets in your life than in Northern Cal. , Oregon , Washington .  Yet one of my favorites is to get lost in those ion old forests ! Good luck and have fun ,    Eureka  , Crescent City ,  I'm a little biased , I love the ocean !

cam8510posted 18 months ago in reply to this

ahorseback, Thank you for the recommendations.  I love all of the things you mentioned, so I know this will be a great time.  I'm hoping to find someplace where I can camp on or very near the beach......out of the tide area of course.  Thanks for the input.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Look for campgrounds in the redwoods.  I seem to remember seeing one right on the ocean in northern California.  Tents only, with no services but an outhouse.

And that would be perfect for me.  I do wilderness camping, so the electricity, game room, shuffle board, wifi, dump station and group fire pit would not be missed.  I'll look for campgrounds in the redwoods.  Sounds exciting to me.  Thanks.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 18 months ago

Crater Lake is interesting and worth a trip, but the redwoods...the redwoods are the most awe-inspiring thing I've ever seen.  DO NOT pass up an opportunity to visit them.  I can recommend Jedediah State Park as well as a tourist trap called "Trees of Mystery" - a fascinating look at the redwood tree itself as well as the history.  Google "hubpages trees of mystery" for a hub on the area (and yes, I'm shamelessly promoting my hub).

The Oregon Caves are not far from there - we are planning a trip this summer to circle through SF, the Redwood Park and the Oregon Caves before heading home.  It will be my third trip to the redwoods and I'm really looking forward to it.

Lincoln City, on the coast, is an interesting little town with lots to see and do, and there are several more tourist spots in that area of highway 101.  A state park just south of Lincoln City (don't remember the name) made great camping in an old growth forest.

Excellent information, wilderness.  I'll make note of all of this.  I'll be in Medford for a minimum of 6 months and quite possibly as long as a year, so there will be time to do pretty much everything......more than once.  Thanks for the input.

4. Marie Flint profile image90
    Marie Flintposted 18 months ago

I always loved my trips to Muir Woods when I lived in San Francisco during the late 70s. I hope you get to see them!