Wildfire threatened my home

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

As many of you are probably aware, California is in a record-breaking drought right now. Yesterday, at about 2:30, I started hearing airplanes continually taking off from the small airport near my house. I knew this usually signals a fire in the area. Within a couple of hours, the fire had spread to thousands of acres, and there were evacuations and road closures only a couple of miles from me. I had my bag packed in case I had to go. Today, the fire seems to have turned. It seems like I will be OK here.

Have you ever experienced a wild fire, earthquake, hurricane or other disaster. Please share your experience here.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry that the fire came so near to you!

My experience was with the tail end of a hurricane a few years ago that wiped out the power in my half of the city for a week. Much was lost.  Only a few mild tremblors have hit Ohio, though; just some rumblings.

The worst was the Franklin County 2012 power failure for over weeks during 100+ F heat wave. Parts of the county were down for a month and many senior citizens became ill.

Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Patty Inglish - This fire is threatening power, I lost power twice, for only a couple of minutes. Many in the area have been without for longer though.

I live in the country, and power outages are common in the winter here. A couple of years ago we were without power for 20 days in November because of downed power lines in heavy snows.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is frightening!

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, I was living in Santa Cruz, CA at the time.  Only a handful of the downtown pedestrian mall buildings fell down in those first moments, but in the end something like three-quarters of them were condemned.  I knew two people who had direct relations who were killed in the same building collapse.  Hundreds of electrical and gas workers were sent to the town and it took them a couple weeks to get everyone's lines checked and turned back on.

Several years later, a couple I knew had to flee fires in the CA mountains, just south of Santa Cruz.  The fire burned to the ridge line above their home and was stopped.  They said the experience made them more clear as a couple on what was most important to them, and they weren't referring solely to material possessions.

Wow, that must have been quite an experience! I remember the awful video on TV coverage of that earthquake. A true, life-threatening emergency will certainly put your priorities in order.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Hurricane Irene in 2011 knocked my power out for nine and a half days and filled my basement with two and a half feet of water. To say "It sucked" is a massive understatement...

Hope the wild fires pass you by!!

Wow! Hurricanes sound really frightening, but at least the water didn't make it past the basement. Glad you weathered the storm.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

So glad you are safe for now. My philosophy is to have a plan for evacuation and earthquakes, then not worry.

I agree tirelesstraveler. This one was a little too close for comfort though.

4. erorantes profile image48
    erorantesposted 8 years ago

Hello miss Sherry Hewins. I am sorry. You are going through difficult moments in your life. I can feel your concern about the fire. You need to call the fire department for advice, so you can determine your situation. Your life is very important. At this moment, relocation is your best option. I experienced many natural disasters during my life. Everything is bad. You need to be strong and move to a safe place. Changes are for better life. God will help you.

I feel pretty confident staying here until I am notified that it's time to evacuate. I have great up-to-the-minute info via yubanet.com

5. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 8 years ago

Ice storm.  Freezing rain coated everything until trees popped like toothpicks and covered roads everywhere.  No one could get out of the community, and power was out over 10 days.

Our neighbor had a tree through their roof; between the two of us we could heat our home and do some limited cooking, so we teamed up at our place and did our best to seal his roof with a tree going through it.  Others walked out and caught a ride on the freeway intersection 3 miles away.  Everyone pitched in (lots of chain saws) and had our community roads cleared of trees in 2-3 days, but still no power for days and days, which meant the community well was down, too, and no water.  No one had gas that far out of town.  There must have been over 200 trees down across the 34 miles of road - lots of clean up for the maintenance crew, but everyone had firewood!

That's kind of wonderful. Your community really pulled together in their time of need.

6. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

Sherry, we are experiencing winter frosts in my part of the world right now, but Australia also suffers from fires during summer and when fire threatens my home I get out. I'm greatly relieved the fire turned away from your home.

Because fires can travel at frightening speeds and many of our roads are tree-lined, I built an underground fire bunker where we can take refuge in an emergency. Not fancy, but hopefully effective. For the past few years, when the fire season is in full swing, I've been moving a few boxes of family 'treasures' into the bunker for storage. (I'd hate a fire to come through when I wasn't home and burn things I couldn't save.)

Eventually my husband agreed to help me make my small bunker bigger. We extended it to be able to accommodate my stored boxes, our family, the family from next door if necessary, plus a few extra visitors if needed.

Many others in our area live off-grid like we do, so power interruptions are not such a problem here. As long as there's a few homes standing, we can cook and accommodate others. However I do fear for those who don't have a hole in the ground or some kind of fireproof shelter if ever we are in the path of a big one. sad

Wishing for rain for you ... Stay safe.

Making that bunker was very resourceful of you. Still, I hope you never have to use it.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

First, I hope you are safe and that the fire is getting contained - we had a huge firestorm in my area a few years ago, and it was terrifying. I had the bag packed, too, and a box of important papers and photos, ready to leave. At one point, a fire broke out blocks from my street, and ashes were falling around us. My neighbors' smoke alarm even went off.  Everyone on my street was out loading their cars - but they got it under control fairly quickly.

Second - YES - I was in Hurricane Camille in 1969 - one of only a few Category Five hurricanes to hit the U.S.  We huddled under a mattress for hours, and I thought sure I was going to die. It ripped the roof off the house we were in and the windows exploded (we were more inland during the storm).  When we returned to our house, there had been several feet of water in it & we lost everything.

I wrote a hub about it - it's still published on this site. I won't post the link, but it gives more details. It was, in retrospect, a very interesting thing to experience, but not one I'd sign up for.  Nothing you can do but give thanks you lived through it and go forward.

8. GiftsByDiana profile image48
    GiftsByDianaposted 8 years ago

Sherry,
    That is so scary !
    Please be careful.
    Back in 1985, we had an F5 tornado come through our area and it took out so much for so many towns.  It hopped and skipped around our area for many miles.  It was (and still is odd) odd for a tornado to stay down for so long as they usually only stay down for a brief time.  This one went through Niles, Ohio; Girard, Ohio; my town of Hubbard, Ohio; and then onto Wheatland, PA. + a few other towns. 
    There were also several other tornadoes in the area that day, but this one was about the worst.
    It didn't hit my side of town, but tore out huge sections just on the other side.
    Back then, we had no cell phones of course, so the scariest part was not knowing where my parents and my brother were and if they were okay.

Tornadoes sound like the absolute worst! My son-in-law's live in Ohio. They lost their home a couple of years ago to a tornado. Their daughter's house was also damaged. It's so random how they hit one house and spare another.

1. GiftsByDiana profile image48
        GiftsByDianaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry about their home, but hopefully they are all okay.
        This past May was the 30th anniversary of that big storm and we had a thunderstorm come in and with it, there was a brief, small tornado which scared all of us so much as we were all thinking about the last one !

9. paichece profile image61
    paicheceposted 8 years ago

its so hot there that every body gets burnt and forest fires.

10. paichece profile image61
    paicheceposted 8 years ago

I here that California has a lot of sex abuse to our young girls am I right or wrong??

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)