jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

How many countries have you lived and worked in?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image93
    TessSchlesingerposted 11 months ago

So how may countries have you lived and worked in, and which were they? How did you handle the language barrier? Which countries were they? How many have you visited for a vacation (or business)? Military not counted because you stay in camp and that's an American environment, plus you're staying with other Americans.

Next, how has this affected your view of the world.

I have lived and worked in South Africa, Lesotho, Scotland, England, Spain, and the USA. I have visited Gabon, Sierra Leone, Namibia, Mozambique, Morocco, Mexico,  Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Holland, Luxenbourg, (countries in the EU). etc.

I was born to an Afrikaans mother, a German father, and went to an English school, so this gives me some fluency in countries like Germany and Holland, plus, of course, most people in Europe, Africa, and the US speak English.

It has changed my world view substantially. Humility about one's place in the world arrives fairly rapidly. It has taught me many different ways of doing things, and that all countries are beautiful. Each country has their own good things and their own bad things. I have being greatly enriched in terms of the arts, traditions, and have developed a world view of economics and politics.

More than anything, I see faces. I don't see ethnicity, color, poverty or wealth. Only faces.

1. Castlepaloma profile image22
      Castlepalomaposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Traveled 95 countries
      Canada worked, Guatamala worked, and Belize worked

Live in Equador, Mexico, India

USA worked, Norway worked and Australia worked.

Seen so many races, I've gone color blind or the feeling of browing of the World. Cutures are more interesting and important than race. Beauty and some ugliest everywhere. Very educational, historical, artistic , serious fun, mind opening AWESOME and most of all, love connects everything.

TessSchlesingerposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Languages? How did you overcome language barriers? Interesting to see the overlaps, i.e. one becomes blind to race, etc. smile

I speck Spanish, Portuguese and some French. Often got by with language dictionary. Gave alot of smiling, hand signals. Interesting with young people in Asia you could write English down and often they can communicate.

I realize White people have given me more unwanted problems than people of color. Yet I love them all the same because the World is my family.

You lived in Europe alot, I really like their system of living. How do you compare these countries to living in the USA.

I never got into USA culture. Too difficult for me. Was shocked at the materialism and putting self interest above needs of community.

That said, I learnt as well. I always put myself last in anything before I came to the States. Took me a long time to realize that's not a wise thing to do. By the time I left, I had changed.

Looks like you found a better balanced change.

US was best for me at one time, now I would not go back if you paid me.

Like the three bears story, Canada is just right for now. Happiness is better than stuff.

How do you like it in South Africa?

I've been here six months now. My head is blown over by Cape Town. I have truly NEVER lived in a city this magnificent. I lived here for 10 years between 1979 until 1989. It was a very different place. It is absolutely magnificent in every conceivable way.

I'm blown over by the way South Africa has progressed to a more fair and equitable society. Most don't see it. I do. I was away for two decades.

Will I remain here for life?  Remains to be seen. I don't know what my future holds. smile

I had a few friends that were South Africans and were horrible horrifies there.

I found many other countries too that have magically changed for the better, good for you.

USA :land of the free: was the best. Today I find many countries more free and civilised. Maybe the World is shaping up.

working