jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Anybody else taking their vacations close to home in smaller doses?

1. Fishin' Cricket profile image87
    Fishin' Cricketposted 7 years ago

Just thinking about my change in habits since my income has dropped a bit over the last two years..  I have been taking shorter vacations, closer to home, and I have been getting in extra vacation time during business trips or on someone else's dime more often.

I got to thinking I should write something about that (and I did write a hub) now I am trying to think of the best way to put it out there.

Also, (as to this thread) I am wondering if everyone else's experience is similar?  Are you camping instead of going to Six Flags, for instance?

Tell us about your change of vacation habits in this new economy?

2. LondonGirl profile image91
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Sounds a good idea for a hub. I'd read it.

Our holidays haven't changed. This year, we're going to Israel in July for a family wedding (bloody hot that's likely to be, too!) and to Cornwall in September for a week.

3. Tom Rubenoff profile image89
    Tom Rubenoffposted 7 years ago

We always went camping anyway, but we were planning to get away on a weekend alone for our anniversary and won't be doing so for economic reasons.  I think this tough time has touched a lot of people.

4. pacific101 profile image61
    pacific101posted 7 years ago

I'm so lucky to live on the coast so I can take a drive and feel like I've gone on vacation. No matter where someone lives, there's almost always a creek or meadow or lake nearby that you haven't seen yet.  Take an afternoon picnic.  Even a few hours doing something out of the ordinary can rejuvenate and help you reconnect with your family.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

Vacations? What is that?

I leave my house and visit family on Fire island each summer.
    or visit family in Florida in the winter.
    Yeah I'm saving money and getting a cheap vacation.
    I can't remember the last time I actually went on  a real vacation somewhere other than family.

6. C.Ferreira profile image81
    C.Ferreiraposted 7 years ago

Vacationing to distant lands and tropical places would be ideal if I could afford it. I can't.

I find that camping is actually one of my favorite types of vacations anyhow, and sometimes travel 10 mins down the road to pitch a tent, start a fire, and relax with some friends under the stars.

7. JamaGenee profile image88
    JamaGeneeposted 7 years ago

I'll be playing tourist in my own neighborhood.  Even wrote a hub about how others can do it too.  cool

8. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

I believe I'm going ruffing it soon on a rock off the coast (here) somewhere, in early July. I don't think it's related to finances, more about 'let's see how long the frog will last with a bucket for a shower' kinda thing wink

And besides that, whenever I go to the UK to see family - that's now become a holiday. Though it can be expensive! I find myself going out most evenings, in order to make sure I've seen everyone etc.

9. cindyvine profile image84
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

No exotic holidays away for me this year, not with having to pay my son's hotel school fees.  So, will be spending Christmas in the same country for a change, and nip over the ditch to Zanzibar.

10. Kudlit profile image52
    Kudlitposted 7 years ago

Since I started working from home and quitting the corporate world, I consider myself always on vacation. smile

Seriously though, it was last November when I last spent a few days in a beach in Puerto Galera in Mindoro here in the Philippines.

It's a nice place to go when you don't want to spend too much but still have a good time.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I'm wish Stacie...what vacation?
    I haven't been able to go anywhere for years.
    If I do do any travelling it is to Niagara Falls to visit a friend.