jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What's the craziest, funniest travel story you've got?

1. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

I'm asking, because when I travel things usually seem to go pretty smoothly, so my story is not 'that.' 

...But there was the time, I guess when I took my friend from Iowa to NYC for the first time and our plane couldn't land and we were just circling over Newark (which everyone knows is airport hell, anyway) for 3 hours, and somehow wound up walking though sections of Bushwick and Greenpoint in Brooklyn at 3 a.m.  With huge, fat suitcases.  Something to do with missed ground transport.    It was surprisingly non-eventful, actually.

2. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 7 years ago

It was my first time in London.  I was at Gatwick Airport trying to get a train ticket to Dover.  I asked asked a fellow behind and very thick window of plexiglass for a ticket to Dover.  He responded with what I thought was thanwar.  I once again said, "I would like a ticket to Dover".  Again he said, "Thenwar".  After the third time I realized he was saying, "Then where". He said that because it turns out no one stays in Dover; it is just a port town for ferries for France.  He wanted to sell me a ticket on the ferry.  I explained that I was really staying in Dover.  He just rolled his eyes and gave me the ticket.

3. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

I once woke up on a sidewalk outside the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

Yes, bad hangover.

4. Cheekymaz profile image77
    Cheekymazposted 7 years ago

When I was younger,we were visiting Alsace (in France) with my family, grand dad, granma, father, brother, aunt and cousin.
    We were camping around, always choosing a nice place to spend the night.
    My grand mother has always been the very funny forgetful kind of person, and one night, while we were camping by some grapevines, she got up, because she needed a wee, and got lost in the vines. She ended up in a bar, at night, wearing a nightgown, and had to ask for help to find us back. She came back to us at night, in a taxi,in her nightgown.
    We had a lot of fun, and this has been one of our favourite stories since. I wish I could have been in the bar to see the look on her face, but mostly the reaction of the people around...

5. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

This is a true story that all started at about 9:00am. This may not be funny, but it sure is crazazy!

Was headed to Virginia for a business meeting. My company had just switched travel agencies so I read the itinerary incorrectly and thought the landing time was the departure time. No more available flights from that airport, so had to take a share-a-cab with a stinky lady to another airport. Waited there five hours and finally got on the plane. Landed at midnight. The airline lost my luggage. Caught a cab to the Marriott where I had guaranteed my reservation with my Amex. They overbooked. No room for me.

They sent me over to some nearby hotel that I'm pretty sure rents rooms out by the hour. They had NO amenities. Had to call the Marriott to send over a bathrobe, toothpaste and a toothbrush. (No stores open at that time. It was then around 2:00am.)

Next morning, the manager from the Marriott called apologizing profusely and sent a car over to the seedy hotel to pick me up. The guy ran a red light and we were in a car accident. It was minor. We were fine. Finally got to the Marriott where they had a room for me.

Was wearing jeans, t-shirt and jacket. Headed to Nordstrom's. Bought clothes and shoes, and the folks at the makeup counter did my makeup. Was then 3 hours late for the meeting. After the meeting, the group was heading to visit area stores that carried our product. Lots of walking does not mesh well with new shoes. Feet became all blistered and could barely walk.

Spent the night. Headed to the airport the next morning for my return flight. Everyone else going back to the same city switched flights. They didn't want to fly with me. Said I had a travel curse. Got my luggage the day I got back home.